oil alarm

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Justin Bradley

Reaction score
I have a 2010 Z 7 with a 150 optimax. Was fishing today and everything was fine. The boat ran good all morning. While running back to the ramp the oil alarm started going off. Before I could get the boat off plane the motor died. I checked my reservoir and its about half full. Pull the cowl off and the small reservoir is full also. After a few minutes I tried to start the motor it idles rough and dies. I try a few more times with the same result. Any thoughts???????

I had the alarm go off and the engine guardian kick in on my 150 Pro XS the first time out this year, and it turned out to be a loose battery connection. Nothing wrong with the motor at all. The best thing is to take it to a certified Mercury mechanic who can hook it up to the computer and tell exactly what the alarm was for.

Mike W

My 2009 150opti max did that a couple of times in the last month. It turned out to be the oil tank reservoir. It was not feeding oil to the tank on the motor. In turn the motor would shut down to 75%. Took it to BP and they had to replace the tank and lines because they were not sure if it was the tank or the lines causing the trouble. I have had it out twice since they fixed it and had no problems. Hope this is not your problem. If it is I hope yours is under warranty. The tank is over $200.00 and not sure about the lines. This does not include the labor. Mine was under warranty. Good luck. If your engine went into safe mode you will have to have the dealer reset the on board computer to get back to full rpms. The computer will also show what the problem is.

When you say the small reservoir is full do you mean all the way to the top full with very little or no airspace? Any air in that tank will give you the alarm. I had a small hairline crack in my saddle tank and constantly got the alarm until I figured out what it was. Since mine was a 2000 model efi, I didn't have guardian mode just the annoying beeps. If it is your upper tank post back on how to fill. You do not just pour oil in it.

I went ahead and took it to a mechanic. The motor is still under warranty. The one on the motor wasn't completely full. There was some air space. Last year I had a problem with it leaking oil around that cap and took it to the shop and it was supposedly fixed. I guess not.

There's your problem then. For future reference (after you find out why your saddle tank isn't holding pressure), to fill that top tank, you have to run your motor with the cap off the saddle tank and let it fill with vacuum. Once it spills over, put on the cap and wipe off the excess.

That was my problem the reserve tank was not sending oil to the engine. This was caused by an air leak somewhere in the system. One thing to thank about the reserve oil tank has only 1 year warranty. I found this out when I was having a problem with mine. I talked to tracker and mercury on the phone when I was needing one. They would not help me out. Only had 44 hours on the boat. BP took care of me on it and covered the tank and lines. Great to deal with on this issue. Good luck

Well that stinks. Don't know exactly but I'd say mine had less than 100 hrs on it. I guess it is what it is.

Latest posts

Back