Ode to pork

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fatrap

Reaction score
Anyone still take Uncle Josh to the dance? While going through my sixteen Bass Pro bait boxes I happened upon my Pig n Jig box. Mostly unused for several years as I target mostly walleyes now. The jar lids were rusted to the degree that they were leaking and a mess in general. I managed to salvage eight bottles of assorted Big Daddy Frogs, Craws, eels, and most everything Uncle Josh had to offer. Made me remember just how many bass I caught on those things.

Soooo the queston is How many guys(gals) still use pork frequently???

Second question is does anyone need to carry over 230 crankbaits in their boat? One just full of Rapala "Fatraps"

I figure by cutting back on some of this stuff I'll pick up about 3mph in the Tundra.:rolleyes:

Fatrap

Yep. Still carry a bunch of Uncle Josh. Was also on their pro staff for 6 years. I have some of those old rusty jars that I have had forever. Have still got enough pork to stock a small bait store.

You can never carry enough tackle. Who cares about 3 mph.

Yep i still use it all the time. I buy the frogs in the pint of pig size i use then so much. I still use the "bass strip" too on spinnerbaits as a trailer.

I'm old school and still prefer Uncle Josh to plastic...even more so when the weather gets warmer.

230 assorted crankbaits?......you may be a little light...I'd get a few more.:lol:

Mac IS PORK! I have been in the business long enough to know REPS that have LESS pork than Mac...hes always trimmin this, cutting that, modifying the one piece of pig skin in Detroit to have a chance at anything remotely near a victory!

Bottomline is that pork works. always has, always will!

230 cranks??? i dont think i am that bad, but jerkbaits, rat-l-traps and tubes I can throw stupid numbers. its more about weight than baits at this point! lol

I still use a bit of UJ pork, especially when it's colder, or I need something with more scent. Denny Brauer did a seminar quite a few years ago, and he said that he dumps out half the liquid in the container and fills it back up with his favorite scent the night before the tournament. I tried it with some Bang Crawfish (used to buy that stuff in the large bottles), and it worked well, but was messy as heck. I just dip it in Smelly Jelly now, and that seems to work just as well, with a lot less mess.

I also have a whole bunch of the white strips. I tried them as jerkbaits a long time ago, and they worked "ok", but nothing really spectacular. I might have to re-visit that idea this year and make some modifications to see how well they work.

All the best,

Glenn

I have a question along these lines for all the porkers {meaning pork experts not the literal meaning}. Does pork ever go bad? I have some that is maybe 10 years old and was wondering if it is still any good. It is still covered in liquid and not dried out.

Some of mine are that old. Seem fine. I put Berkley Gulp juice in the remaining jars that I have. I think I'm gonna make a dedicated pork only trip to get back in touch with my piggy side.

fatrap

LOL,..Mini's not kiddin'!! I still use pork trailers a LOT when I'm LM fishin',,,very rarely if I'm SM huntin'!! I learned a long time ago how to trim and prepare a pork chunk,..from the guy who won the very first MI. Federation Classic. He was one of hte BEST J&P fishermen I've ever known in my life. He always threw either a brown jig w/black pork..or a black jig w/brown pork..very rarely anything else. He was a FREAK!! Man could that guy catch'em on a J&P. I bet you he took BIG BASS in 75% of the tournaments he fished...almost ALWAYS on a J&P.

The more you use a pork chunk,..the better they work...remember Lonnie Stanley?? He would beat his with a coke bottle until it was as limber as a piece of raw bacon!

I buy'em by the pint now...black, brown, blue and orange. Don't store them in any scents other then the brine they come in..they'll get rancid in a hurry (per D. Brauer)..I use scents when I'm fishing with them,..but when I put them away, they go back in the brine!!

No self respecting hawgman should ever be without a few jars of pork!!;)

Carry on!!

Mac

Gee....I thought Rob was the best ever jig and pig fisherman.....he told me so!!! :eek: :lol:

Latest posts

Back