O.K. time for a poll...

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'll be first...

I have switch most of my equipment lately to fenwick HMG rods and moving towards Abu reels.

i like the eons and Tournament (flippin switch)

For flippin' I like the Shimano Castaic on a big ole flippin' stick

Spinnerbaiting i use a curado and abu with 6'6 med rods

tubin I use an abu spinning reel with a 6'0 med rod.

for cranking i have a very tough and stout 4'5 rod coming from australia (thru a friend) that should do the trick on a Abu Eon.

I have approximately 18-20 rod and reel fully rigges in the boiat at all times....including an ultralight...

I have the following:

1 Pocket Fisherman

1 Snoopy

2 Mickey Mouse

1 Zebco 202

Just kidding...I'll post it for real tomorrow....gotta run right now and get my friggin' taxes done UGGGGGGGGGGHHHHH

Casting Cranks-- 6'6" Med St. Croix, rigged with a Shimano Curado

Spinning -- 6' Med St. Croix, with Okuma Epix reel (if you haven't tried this reel, check it out)

Jiggin' 7' Med Light St. Croix, with Okuma Epix

Muskie -- 7' Heavy St. Croix, with Shimano reel

umm... finesse presentations ;-)

-- 6'6" Heavy St. Croix with Abu reel (rippin big baits)

I've got others, but I'd say I use these most consistently, at least these are the only ones that come to mind.

David

Three Bionic Blades...

Two Berkley Performas...

And a highly prized St. Croix carolina rigging rod...

(sung to the tune of...ah, forget it)

Seriously, Pierre I am right there with you. Fenwick HMG (and HMX) are great. They get a bad rap because of the Made in China thing, but they are excellent casting rods, IMO. I very much like most of Berkley's rods, made in China or not. I had several Fenwicks that were stolen from my boat, and I do miss them. I went with the Bionic Blades as replacements, and they are decent, but not quite as good a feel as the 'wicks.

Jeanne uses a nice Falcon Lowrider medium spinning rod with a Shimano Sahara that I steal whenever she isn't looking.

I also think some of Galyan's house brand rods are good. I have a two piece medium IM7 casting rod that I keep in the truck for those opportune moments.

For reels, I like Pflueger Summits, BPS Mega Plus, Shimano Corsairs (A model), and a Abu Cardinal 303 spinning reel (my takes-a-licking-and-keeps-on-ticking favorite).

I own the following rods & reels.

2 - St. Croix spinning rods, ES66MLF with Stradics on them.

2 - St. Croix casting rods, EC66MHF, with Shimano Calais.

2 - St. Croix casting rods, EC60MF, with Shimano Calais.

1 - St. Croix casting rod, EC66MF, with Shimano Chronarch.

1 - St. Croix casting rod, EC70MF, with Shimano Chronarch.

1 - St. Croix flipping stick, EC76MHF, with Shimano Castaic.

1 - St. Croix flipping stick, AC710HF, with Shimano Castaic.

I chose the St. Croix rods because of the feel that I get from the rod and Shimano reels because of the casting ease and control of the lures..

Here's the current arsenal I travel with. Probably another dozen or so rods hangin' out in a corner that I save for friends and family in need.

(2) Falcon LFC-4-166 w/ Curado 200B5's for SB's and small cranks

(2) Falcon LFC-5-166 w/ Curado 200's for TR, jigs, etc

(1) Falcon LFC-5-167 w/ Curado 100BSF for Wacky Worms and Flukes (just got today!!)

(1) Falcon LFC 6-17 w/ Pluefger Supreme for CR

(1) All Star CRC w/ Curado 200 for CR and BIG tubes

(1) All Star GT2-7 w/ Curado 200B5 for DD cranks

(1) Bionic Blade w/ Pro Qualifier for SB's in tight cover

(2) Cheap 7'0 spinning rods w/ Shimano 2000's

(2) 6.6 BPS MicroLite w/ Quantam reels for SLAB's!

Buzz, I'm right there with ya, man... Nothing like the feel you get from a St. Croix rod... my hooking percentage went up 400% when I made the switch.

Geeze.....too many to list.....

Majority are BPS Johnny Morris, Rick Clunn, Pro Qualifier, & Extreme combos. I also have All Star Titaniums and a few Berkley rods mixed in. With Quantum Metal Spinning reels and Shimano Calcutta Baitcasting reels.

All in all I have about 60 combos, but that has been reduced recently as I pass alot of my "used" equipment to my nephew and a few select friends. I "guess" I have about 50 now, soon to be reduced by an anxious nephew! I carry about 20 in my boat (10 baitcast & 10 spinning).

My favorite combos are the Pro Qualifier (1999 & 2000 models) with either a Calcutta or the Pro Qualifier baitcaster & the Rick Clunn combos(2001). And my All Star Titanium spinning rod with either the Quantum Metal Series reel or the Pro Qualifier spinning reel.

I really wish BPS still made left handed baitcasters....

Mini

1 J. Miles custom Loomis IMX 6'6" HVY 101 Chronarch

1 J. Morris Titanium 6'6" MH 101 Curado super free

1 All Star MWR2 6'8" 200 Curado

1 All Star BCM 5'6" 100 Curado super free

1 Rick Clun 7' Spinnerbait MH 250 Calcutta

1 Rick Clun 7' Cranking rod Lew's BB-1N

1 Castaway Mini Launcher Lew's BB-1 NGH

1 Castaway Topwater Special Lew's BB-1 NGH

1 All Star WR1 6'6" Lew's BB1NG

1 Falcon FC 17-7 7' Xtra hvy Lew's BB1-N

1 All Star BCH 6' hvy Lew's BB-1N

1 BPS Crankin Stick 6'6" ML Lew's BB-1N

1 Castaway East Tx. Grass Rake 6'10" Xhvy Chronarch 101

1 Falcon 6'6" MH spinning rod Shimano Tx 40

1 Lew's 6' MH Ten handle spinning rod Quantum E5 3 series

G LOMMIS IMX:

723 w/Curado 100B (Light Topwater)

724 w/TD-X (Topwater & Pitchin Tight Docks)

782 w/TD-X (Lipless Crank Baits & Swim Baits)

783(2) w/TD-X (Buzz/Spinner Baits)

784 w/TD-Z (Open Water Worming/Jigging)

843 w/Curado 200BSF (Deep Cranking)

844 w/Curado 200BSF (Carolina/Drop Shot)

ALL STAR:

WR1 w/Morrum 1600 (Pitchin)

WR1 w/Abu Garcia Pro Max 1600 (Pitchin)

Flipping FRH w/Daiwa PT33P (Flippin)

Stanley Jig SJ2 w/Abu Ambassadeur 6500C (Shinners)

KUNNAN:

8370MH w/Abu Royal express (Shinners)

TEAM DAIWA:

TD-591-2FS w/BG10 (Finesse Spinning)

GARCIA CONOLON:

5 Star 2500-A w/Mitchell 408 (Ultra Lite)

4 daiwa lc47 line counters with daiwa heartland series rods 9 1/2'

6 berkley cherrywood rods,from 5'9" to 7' spinning rods,mated with shimano ax2000,tx2000,fx2000,

2 okuma classic pros with 300l clasic reels,2 penn 209's on daiwa black widow rods,2 shimano syncopate 4000 reels on daiwa black widow rods.thats all i usually take with me to the lake when salmon is running.

My thought is that I buy quality reels (shimano citica, curado) but I buy cheaper rods that can be bought at Wal-mart (Mitchell Fulcrum, Dance Class, etc). I can't tell you how many rods my partners have stepped on in my boat, but they have never been clumsy enought to break a reel.

I use a either Daiwa or Quantum reels depending on best bang for the buck. I shy away from very high end stuff as clients don't respect them any more than the next step down. Still, most of my reels run in the $100 class, but no pro team series. Rods, again with same philosophy in mind, and more rods get broken than reels, I really fell in love with Shimano's flipping sticks. For about $50, they are very stout and super sensitive. Most of my spinning rods are BPS extremes. Same reason again, great value!

Latest posts

Back