Nothing Worse Than A Dirty Bottom

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rbstern

Reaction score
Because it's a ***** to clean!

Before, due to years of neglect"

IMG_20170324_105725.jpg

After about 12 hours of hard labor:

IMG_20170325_103828.jpg

Next up, a couple of coats of ablative bottom paint, so it doesn't get that bad again.

I love spring!

Reactions: cq
Hey, Scott...long time.

I sanded it down with 80 grit. The staining had penetrated the gelcoat. Only way to remove it was mechanical. Plus, I had blisters to repair, so sanding was happening anyway. And the paint will adhere that much better. Heck of a big job, but worth it.

FYI, for anyone who ever has to patch blisters, I'm a huge fan of Marine Tex, but it's pricey. This stuff works great as an alternative, very similar performance, at a fraction of the price:

https://www.amazon.com/PC-Products-160114-Two-Part-Adhesive/dp/B008H4QRPI/

Looks Great!
Ship Shape TV has a large number of sponsors, I look through them to help me narrow down what I need for help with my projects.

Boat is still sitting on the hard. Haven't been able to devote time to a topside cleanup and dewinterizing. Soon...the weather beckons it.

And still not launched! Hopefully, this weekend.

Launch day today. Finally got the boat in the water.

I'm probably jinxing myself, but everything on the boat is working great, for the first time in a long time. Over the last couple of years, I'd repaired the pitot tube, the fuel gauge, dash switches. Even the trailer had a great day. New bunk carpet and boards worked great, and the lights work, after a long overdue wiring harness repair.

Boat ran great. With the renewed bottom, she's much quicker out of the hole and topped out faster than I've can ever remember. It's been a long time since I put the hammer down with a clean bottom on this boat. Speedo indicated 55. Pretty good for a 4500lb. boat with a four blad aluminum prop.

Summer is upon us. Time to break out the tube, skis, wakeboards, etc.

Been a busy season for a few of us already. Carlos and I went up to Michigan (14th year straight) and had a great time with the MVM (Mac, Mini and a few more). It was a grind this year. We had 20 - 60mph winds, 48 - 70 degree days and the lake was pretty messed up the whole week. We still caught em' though. Back home we have been doing really well on the Potomac and are in 90 degree days of summer now. Good to see your cruiser back on the water.

Reactions: cq
Awesome that you guys have kept up your get together for so long!

Follow up on the bottom paint performance: Boat has been in the water for nearly three months, and the bottom is staying very clean. Normally, by now, the bottom would be a slimy mess of brown and green goo. Just blue bottom paint.

If I get another couple of seasons out of it before having to recoat, I'll be thrilled.

This stuff works for warm freshwater:

5436936.jpg

Follow up: Boat pulled today for the winter. I ran WOT to the boat ramp. Boat turned as many RPMs it ever had, and speedo went as high as I've ever had it, so I knew the paint had performed.

Bottom was in great shape. No growth at all. Paint stilled looked excellent. A small bare patch at the bow from beaching the boat a few times. Looks a little thin at the waterline in a couple of spots. I'll touch those up before relaunching next spring. Very impressed with the paint performance. Completely worth the effort.

Latest posts

Back