Nitro 750 mods ?

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Eric Maisch

Reaction score

Boat setup questions

As I mentioned before in other post I just got a nitro 750 bass boat. I was wondering if anyone has any neat ideas on hooking it up a little. For example the rod storage doesn't have dividers. Is this something that could be made or bought. Also I currently have a minn Kota 46lbs thrust troller. Do you think this will be enough for those lakes that don't allow gas engines. How long will it last. Are there volt indicators that could tell me if it is getting low on power so I don't get stranded.

I think you'll get better use from your rod locker by putting rod socks on all your rods that way you dont have to thread them in the dividers and it will keep them handy and protect as well. Most fish finders tell you when the battery is getting low and with the 46 lb which is what I have I can troll all day 9=10 hrs no problem but I have 2 12v batteries hooked to mine wired to just put out 12V. More power storgae. You can install a battery indicator almost any where youd like if you wanted to do that.

Ed

I haven't divided the rod locker in mine but I am sure it could easily be done. I just use rod socks. The one thing I did have an issue with on the port (left) rod locker was the trolling motor wires. They were laying on the floor of the locker and catching rod tips. I used zip ties that have a loop to be attached with a screw and attached them to the top of the rod locker.

I replaced my 12v 43lb trolling motor with a 24v 71lb. My 750 was prewired for 24v so that was easy. I put the second DC battery in the back in the center. I needed more power on windy days as opposed to lasting longer. In either case, I have both. I would strongly recommend you upgrade the TM. The mount on my 43lb was a POS too.

Other things I have done...

4 Rod Holders for when I am striper fishing.

Radio on side of console.

Lowrance 522iGPS on RAM mount up front with transducer on TM.

Lowrance Elite 4X DSI at helm with transducer on transom.

Replaced nx750 decals and registration numbers with custom lettering.

Bimini top.

A couple of things to look for that was messed up on mine...

My motor was mounted in the top hole. Factory specs is the middle hole (3rd from top).

Steering cables needed replaced. It was hard to turn when on the trailer!

My tach is off 150-200RPM at WOT. I still need to adjust it.

Speedo is fast too. It shows about 7 mph high at WOT.

I tinkered with lots of props so if you have any questions...just ask. I'd love to get rid of the classic 115 two stroke (2+2) for an optimax or 4 stroke.

Ron

Currently I do have two batteries running in parallel for the tm and a separate cranking battery. I'm interested in the rod holders. Where did you mount them. Do you have pictures. I noticed my motor was mounted on the second hole down. Looks like it was on the first. The paint was removed by the nuts.

I posted a couple of pictures in the folder next to my name. The location keeps them from interfering with any hatches. I installed the kind that can be removed but the base stays in place.

I forgot a couple of things too.

Installed a fuel/water filter.

Installed a ladder by All Aboard Ladder.

A Tiny Tach which is also a hourmeter.

Ron

I'm definitely interested in the fuel/ water filter. Shouldn't these boats come with them since it's such a problem with moisture in the tank. Is this easy to install or should I have someone else do it. I wanna do some upgrades but most important are the ones that can prolong the life of the boat/ motor.

The filter was not hard, just a little smelly. I ended up using a Yamaha filter just because they are easy to find near me. In doing this, I found my fuel line from the motor to the bulb was starting to deteriorate. If you have a gray line from the motor, check it. The internal lining delaminates then breaks into many little pieces clogging up your fuel system...and causing some $ to fix it. Fuel lines are cheap.

Gotta go...off to work.

Don't get confused.....Fuel filter and water filter are different. My 225 had the water filter on the motor (doubles as a fuel filter) and would actually throw an alarm if it detected water. Adding another fuel filter is tricky since Mercury doesn't recommend it due to possible fuel starvation. Depending on your motor and the type of filter, you need a mechanic's advise...I'll let Bob B give you a more definitive answer...

Mercury doesn't recommend a water filter? Interesting. I look forward to Bob B's reply too.

My Optimax also has an in-line fuel and water filter. They don't recommend another one due to fuel starvation issues.

NoCAL

Ron-

What type of Bimini top did you get and where did you get it. How was the install

I just bought the bimini from Cabelas. It is EXTREMELY easy to install. All you need is a drill, screwdriver and some sealer. The hardest part is where to put it. You need to be able to stow it in order to fish or trailer it. I have mine so it lays down just off the rear fishing deck but not in the way of the motor.

Back to the filer issue. I have had no fuel starvation issues. I normally do not go against expert and maunfacters recommendations but I just have a hard time accepting that the tiny in-line filter is enough. I will leave mine installed. Do what you think is best.

Ron

Not to belabor the point but how would you know you had fuel starvation? There's no gauge or lead up performance problem that would tip you off before your motor popped. This is from Merc's website:

The addition of another filter to the system will create another possible flow restriction that can starve the engine of fuel. Mercury already provides the appropriate level of filtration to protect the engine from debris.

So, if you are going to run another filter, check it and change it often (at least annually), to make sure it doesn't clog and sneak up on you.

Toxic,

I do not believe you are belaboring the point. I think it is a good debate!

I feel I do not have fuel starvation issues since my motor is still running just like it did before the filter. If I was having fuel starvation issues, I would not be running the same amount of fuel as before (ie running lean) AND that would also mean less oil. In my experience, lean running two strokes tend to not work very long. My oil consumption has not decreased which gives me a "warm and fuzzy" that I am OK.

I guess it all boils down to do whether I want to risk blowing my motor with either fuel starvation or water in the fuel. Hopefully it will last a long time and the answer is neither. We all have to operate in our comfort zone and for me, it is with a fuel/water filter installed...I do change it often!

Ron

Latest posts

Back