Nitro 189 sport

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bill Palmeter

Reaction score
I have an 06 Nitro 189 Sport, sometimes I need more rod storage, has any one modified the ski locker to hold rods by drilling holes in the bow end of the locker to hold longer rods, if so please give me the details & pics if possible.

Thanks

Okie Bill

Bill, are you sure your rods won't fit? I have a 2001 Nitro 175 Sport F & S. I don't use that for rod storage, but recently I emptied all things out of there (life jackets, towels, light poles, ski pylon, extra seat pedestals and a bag of spare clothing), to clean it. I stood on my head and shined a flashlight all the way to the bow. It was open to just about 6 inches from the center of the bow. If I wanted too, with nothing else in there I could easily put 7'6" rods in there.

I'm not sure where you would want to drill if it's constructed like mine. You should have another foot or so length than I do.

My answer to rod storage was to screw down a bungee type rod holder on both sides of the aft casting platform. I can put 3 rods on each side (tips forward).

p.s. I actually should take the ski pylon out. I've never used it (except to tow a stranded boater in 1 time). I could lighten my load.

Thanks, I have not stood on my head to look but I will. I just tried to put a rod in and it wouldn't fit so I assumed it was enclosed. I have never used the ski pylon either.

Bill, I have the same boat, I put 7' rods(6 of them) in the stern locker behind the seats. I think its actually a ski locker, but I use it for rods, have to bend them to get them in but it does work, that locker goes the width of the boat.

bill I also have a 2007 189 sport and have right now 5 6'8 rods (gloomis 803) in rod locker.. behing bench seat . think 7 ft will fit with slight bend.

Latest posts

Back