New Z7

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jess Yaj

Reaction score
After a long year of Mia... I finally decided to get a z7...my question is what maintenance should be added in the list every time I take her out beside checking full charging battery..gas, oil...

And monthly maintenance

Is this a NEW z7 or new to you? I HIGHLY recommend a Mercury OEM Service Manual based on your serial number of the motor - and then follow it to the letter on maintenance. You didn't say what motor is on it, but I'm assuming an Optimax?

Now is a TWIST (sideways) :D OH and don't forget the bail plug (keep the water out of the bilge when launching it). Yep, I did it on my VERY FIRST launch of my new bass boat. It had been several years since I had a bass boat and in a pontoon boat, nothing like that to worry about :confused:

add 1oz mercury quickcare + 1oz mercury quickleen per 5 gallons of fuel at each fillup. Check your trailer tire pressure and hubs on a regular interval. Wax your boat a couple of times a year to keep your gelcoat protected. Oh and go buy some extra fuses in various amps just in case one blows. If for some reason you are going to lay up the boat for an extend period look at winterizing the engine. Have fun with your new boat. Post a pic of is some time.

Th
add 1oz mercury quickcare + 1oz mercury quickleen per 5 gallons of fuel at each fillup. Check your trailer tire pressure and hubs on a regular interval. Wax your boat a couple of times a year to keep your gelcoat protected. Oh and go buy some extra fuses in various amps just in case one blows. If for some reason you are going to lay up the boat for an extend period look at winterizing the engine. Have fun with your new boat. Post a pic of is some time.

No problem Jess - I'm gonna have to keep tabs on who's who when all you guys get your username changed o_O :)

Be sure and break the engine in the way the manual tells you to. After break in you can run in at full speed at least once while you are on the lake. I have the the 150 optimax and BP told me that it was made to run fast. I do this at least once when I am on the lake. No problems anymore. Keep an eye on the oil tank. Make sure it has plenty of oil.

Be sure and break the engine in the way the manual tells you to. After break in you can run in at full speed at least once while you are on the lake. I have the the 150 optimax and BP told me that it was made to run fast. I do this at least once when I am on the lake. No problems anymore. Keep an eye on the oil tank. Make sure it has plenty of oil.
Hello Jess, I have been off air for a while but I just got the 2014 Z-7 with a 175 PRO XS. Do you keep your boat indoors. If not I would seriously suggest a full boat cover. It will add years to your boats interior life. I have a shop large enough to keep all my toys inside and climate control. Just above the freezing mark and heat is not an issue in the summer. I have a 1995 Bass Tracker that I never winterized because of this but after every lake putting I would drain the water from my motor. This was suggested to me by the Tracker marine mechanics at our local Motor repair shop where I took my motor to have the gear case oil changed every three years. Not much help here but a little bit goes a long way sometimes. Happy fishing.

Take a coupe of towels with you to wipe it down after being on the water. Makes it easier to clean later and can wipe the motor down to keep water spots off.

There is a thing called Plexis. We used it on aircraft windshields for years to keep the swirls from showing while flying towards the sun. It is safe for all types of fiber glass and other surfaces. I actually use it on my entire boat including seats and windshields and even the motor surface. It is a great item to have. It is a "little" pricey as it is designed witht aircraft in mind but a can of it will last a couple of years as you only have to treat it once or twice a year. Here is a link for one source of it. http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/cspages/plexus.php

Latest posts

Back