New truck :)

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jim B

Reaction score
I ordered this back in April and i picked it up on sat. It's an LTZ with the 6.2l and max two package. I'm still breaking it in so I have not got on it at all but in general driving it feels really strong. Can't wait to see how it tows. I'm pretty sure w 420hp/460 ft/lbs it's going to do just fine :)

image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

Suhweeeet!! I'm nursing my 2004 3/4 ton 6.0 crew cab along until the wheels fall off. My next truck might just be an oil burning rattle wagon.

My 2006 is still going strong with 175k on the clock. I was ready for a new one and I made a deal with my nephew when he was 8 that if he stayed out of trouble and kept his grades up where my sister wants that it would be his when he got his license. It's coming time to pay up on that....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Consider me bizarre... I am really considering downsizing on the truck. Looking at some that are still big enough to tow tin (moderately big tin at 19') but smaller. I am looking at a Toyota and a Honda. Now that Dodge is dropping the Dakota (son has had three) I don't have a US choice. The idea of a six banger is still a little rough... I wake up at night in cold sweats....

That being said, I like your new truck (as well as I can ever like a Chevy/GM....LOL). I have even driven Hammer's a couple of times at the ramp...

However, I will always have a truck (or truck lite).

Chevy is bringing back the Colorado. That is what Mac drives to pull his ChampioN. I like the truck a lot. I am actually looking at a rattlewagon. Towing the boat through the mountains and the horse trailer works my 3/4 ton pretty hard.

They sure are bringing back the Colorado and in 2016 a diesel may be an option as well. I'm sure ford will follow suit soon as well as there is a market.

That being said I don't think I will ever go back into a small truck. Gas mileage wise they are no different that a half ton full size and they don't tow near as well and are t near as comfortable. I personally have done a lot of towing w mid sized trucks and I have never had one last more than3- 4 years before they are money pits and need to be replaced, I have never had a full size last less than 10( my 2006 was replaced early but I still have it and it runs and drives perfect with 180k on the clock now). Sure a full size costs more but in my experience it's cheaper in the long haul since they last a long time.

I have finally had a chance to tow with this new one and it's a BEAST pulling my boat. I hardly know it's back there and i drag raced another truck that was pizzing me off to prove a point... He was not happy that his unloaded truck couldn't pass me going up a hill when I had my z7 in tow.

The 6.2l makes my old one with a 5.3 seem like a v6 and the hill start assist and active grade braking are two fantastic features. The grade breaking is truly awesome, up by winni in nh there are some downhills that I swear are responsible for quite a few warped rotors on my trucks over the years. With the grade braking the motor and transmission do all the work and I can maintain a speed without eve touching the brake pedal. Good stuff GM!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Well, as Tox knows I am a Ford F150 believer. But, I don't fish tournaments now so I do not tow my boat any compared to my past. (10-12,000 miles a year). As far as "lasting", my current 2001 Crew Cab has 235,000 and my mechanic says at least another 50,000 if I want. It hasn't been a mony pit. Rebuilt the trans at 195,000 before it was needed. And front suspension work at the same time. Replaced an alternator and coil packs. That's it beyond oil, tires, shocks.

But, I am in Chicago often and a smaller vehicle will just be easier to live with.

Wow @Jim B, I LOVE the grill on those new trucks! Sharp! It appears you've had it for almost two months, what's the verdict after a couple months of use?

Wow @Jim B, I LOVE the grill on those new trucks! Sharp! It appears you've had it for almost two months, what's the verdict after a couple months of use?
Actually i have had it for over 3 months.....

The verdict, its awesome. I have 5500 miles on it so far and i have towed my boat and my enclosed dirt bike/motorcycle trailer with it a good bit. The 6.2 is simply a beast with the boat in tow. I have the max tow package with 3.73 gears and its a great combo. It pulls fantastic. Gas mileage is surprisingly good for it having that big 420hp 6.2. I average around 15 in the city and 19 on the freeway around New England. The computer says my best 25 mile average has been 23, 50 mile 21 and 400 mile 20. Lifetime average over 5500 miles is 17.5. I really cant complain about that at all, its really the same or slightly better than my old 2006 with the 5.3 got. I have had no issues or dealer visits for anything but its first freebie oil change.

Actually i have had it for over 3 months.....

The verdict, its awesome. I have 5500 miles on it so far and i have towed my boat and my enclosed dirt bike/motorcycle trailer with it a good bit. The 6.2 is simply a beast with the boat in tow. I have the max tow package with 3.73 gears and its a great combo. It pulls fantastic. Gas mileage is surprisingly good for it having that big 420hp 6.2. I average around 15 in the city and 19 on the freeway around New England. The computer says my best 25 mile average has been 23, 50 mile 21 and 400 mile 20. Lifetime average over 5500 miles is 17.5. I really cant complain about that at all, its really the same or slightly better than my old 2006 with the 5.3 got. I have had no issues or dealer visits for anything but its first freebie oil change.

That gas mileage is incredible! My "little" 2012 Nissan Frontier 4DR pickup with its 261hp gets 18/22 mpg. So what you're getting for twice the truck is absolutely stunning! My dad retired from GM, and I had always bought GM until recent. GM makes very well built trucks! Good job @Jim B!

That gas mileage is incredible! My "little" 2012 Nissan Frontier 4DR pickup with its 261hp gets 18/22 mpg. So what you're getting for twice the truck is absolutely stunning! My dad retired from GM, and I had always bought GM until recent. GM makes very well built trucks! Good job @Jim B!

I thought it was going to be worse than it is so i'm very happy with that. I do tend to drive conservatively and i think that helps, if i stop on it hard it can be quite thirsty. Like i mentioned before it gets around the same as my old one got which was better than anything i had owned before. I used to drive S10 sized trucks and they did no better on fuel than my old 06 silverado or my new one. The only bummer on the new one is it requires premium fuel with the 6.2l motor. The performance is a worthy tradeoff tho...

Believe me, my 2004 2500 HD, Crew, 6.0 is "supposed" to run premium as well. I never knew it until my buddy who has the same truck had a pinging issue and took it to the dealer. When they asked him what octane he ran, he told them regular. As soon as he started burning premium, his pinging went away. I thought he had a knock sensor out. To be honest, I have never run a tank of premium in my truck in 138,000 miles (and no pinging). I average 10-11mpg towing or not but I have the 4.10 gearing and locking rear.

Tox, are you sure about that? A good buddy of mine has the same truck as you his manual says regular. We checked his after i filled mine up with him in the truck and he asked why i was putting premium in it. Something sounds fishy with your buddies, did he put as tune in it or something like that maybe? Or a lazy dealer?

On my 2014 the manual states very clearly that the 6.2L needs premium unlike the other two motors and it has a sticker on the fuel door as well stating the same. I did experiment with putting 87 octane in my new one once and i did not like the results. It ran very poor, didn't ping but felt down on power and a lot less get up and go, fuel economy dropped as well. My normal commute from home to the train station and back i used a half tank in a week where normally i'm barely over a quarter.

I've only had one vehicle that required the premium fuel as well as synthetic 0 weight oil, it was a Saab and after a $140 oil change and $1300 routine brakes and rotors replaced, I sold the damn thing. :)

Jim, Yep positive. I checked. I'll get the language when I get the truck back. It was moving the temp gauge a lot on my trip to Wisconsin so I am having the cooling system checked out and flushing out the deathcool and going with regular anti-freeze.

Latest posts

Back