New tracker Pro 165

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bob Orlando

Reaction score
I just purchased a new Tracker Pro 165. I have run into so many Tracker "hate sites" in the past few days that I'm now a little worried about my decision. Are the hulls and broken weld issues as bad and as common as I'm reading? I realize there are always some problems with any line of boats but there seems to be a disproportionately high number of "structural/leaking problems attributed to Tracker.

What say you guys??? (I'm brand new to this site). Am I in for a rough ride?

Welcome Bob ! Ive had 3 welded and /or rivited Trackers with no leaking issues. This site is full of people with a wealth of knowledge and experience in many fields, not just boating and fishing. So, sit back, check in daily and enjoy !

Bob, I think you'll be fine. Tracker makes a fine product. I too have read some of the nightmare occurences a few owners have experienced. I honestly believe Tackers' quality control is as good as any. Think of how many Tracker boats are sold. Some still on the water after many years of hard use. Just the sheer numbers can account for a few 'lemons'. I wouldn't let it keep me awake nights. Just keep an eye on everything while she's still under warranty. If you think there is an issue, immediately bring it to the dealers' attention and document it.

Enjoy your new boat!

Bob,

Welcome to the friendliest board on the net. Yes, Trackers have some issues, as do all. As firedog said, watch closely while it's under warranty and get everything taken care regardless of how small. That way you have documentation if anything goes wrong later. Other than that, enjoy your boat and bring your questions here. Guaranteed that someone here will be able to answer anything you need.

All very sound advice and right on the money!! Enjoy your toy,.......and welcome to the best site on the web! :cool:

Welcome aboard and welcome to the Tracker family. Great bunch of guys and gals here. As firedog spoke of there are always issues with every manufacture i.e. automotive,lawn equipment, boats or whatever. There are several of us on there that are Tracker salesmans and ex-tracker salesmans so we can help you with any questions you may have.

Hey guys,..... Thanks so much for your prompt replies. I must admit I feel a little better now. I traded a fine "heavy metal" boat in on the Pro 165 because I moved to the High Desert from the coastal access here in Oregon and the shallower lakes and reservoirs here and the previous boat were not a good mix for fishing at this new location.

I have a history of taking very good care of my boats, and this new Tracker will be no exception. I leave the boat in the lake while camping for a few days at a time so a "slow leaker" was something that would have created quite the problem for me. This is why I was concerned.

Again, thanks for your input. I was getting quite concerned until your answers started showing up.

Best regards.

Although I will not agree about their "quality control"...they do make a decent boat for the money.

bob,

if you have concerns about possible slow leaks messin up your weekend put in an automatic bilge pump then no matter what slow leak or rain while you sleep you will have no issues.;)

Hi Joe. Thanks for the advice. I was looking at the rather limited access to the two pumps (bilge and aerator) and am quite certain the rivets need to be drilled out of the hinges on the access compartment and the door removed in order to work on them. The batteries also need to be removed.

I spoke to one of the mechanics at BPS in California and he advised me that working on those pumps is quite a trick!

I'm going to look into your idea though as it makes more sense to me than just sweating it out. BTW, I'm not really worried about rain as we only get 10 inches a year here and that is in the Winter. The rest of the year (and most of the Winter) is sunshine.

Best Regards.

Bob,

I can't speak for the new ones, but I have an '05 Pro 165 and have had no issues with welds. The only water I get in is sometimes on a steep ramp when backing it in. They do catch alot of rain though! Enjoy your new boat. I wish mine had come with a 40hp 4 stroker....

Scott

Welcome to NTOWS.... And, congrats on the new boat. As others have said, be diligent in caring for your boat, ask questions here if you have some and develop a good relationship with your dealer.

Scott. Thanks for the info on the welds on your boat. This does seem to be a bone of contention for some. I'm just going to keep an eye on things and if possible replace the bilge pump with an automatic one as Joe suggested. The "welds" thing did have me a little flustered for a while but the kind messages I've received here are making me relax to the point where I'll just enjoy myself for now and forget about it.

I can't imagine the manufacturer turning their backs on a factory issue no matter what it is if serious. ie: a hull falling apart. This in my experience is usually what happens if a consumer is a complete jerk from the git-go.

Apparently your boat has performed for 6 years without a leak so I'll take that as positive testimony and thank you for that. BTW, most of my boating and fishing is done between 3000 and 4500 feet now so the 40HP engine will only make up for the performance losses at these altitudes. I don't expect to be driving it too fast as that sort of thing makes me pretty nervous anyway.

Greg, thanks for the welcome. In reference to your note about developing a good relationship with the dealer, let me say that the relationship is developing well right now but since he is not local I really don't have a lot of knowledge about him. Seems to be a nice enough guy though.

Do yourself a favor and NEVER EVER pull your decks off and look at the internal welds!;):blink:

bob.

you can put in an automatic switch without being near the pump.

it is a float switch. all you have to do is install it in the wireing before the pump, and install the float somewear in the bilge.

congrats and enjoy :):cool:

Joe. I think I maybe should connect the auto switch in parallel? with the manual one. This way I retain the ability to use either should the need arise. What do you think?

correct,

if you did it in seris it would not work if the bilge switch was in the off position.

but as long as you power the float switch as the instructions say you will be able to turn the pump on and off at the console without affecting the float switch.

With Tracker you are 100% dependent upon your local dealer. There is zero support from Tracker the manufacturer. If there is not a Tracker dealer in your immediate vicinity I would pass on the boat and get something else.

I've owned two Trackers...the first was a new 1995 riveted hull and had no issues for over 3 years of regular use. Fished Sam Rayburn, Toledo Bend and Sabine River with zero problems. Even won a tournament on Rayburn out of the riveted Tracker and had big bass of 10.5 lbs. Stayed alive all day in the Tracker livewell. The second Tracker was a 2003 welded hull I bought used in 2011 from original owner. No issues at all, just went fishing and enjoyed both boats. I took care of both and they stayed inside my garage when not being used. Maybe I got lucky, but I honestly think there are so many sold that someone is bound to get one with an issue sometimes. Kind of like vehicles.....issue with every brand made. Just have a good time with your Tracker and enjoy the fuel savings!

Latest posts

Back