New To Tandem Axle Trailer Launch And Retrieve And A Hot Foot Pedal

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi,

I just bought a new 2016 Nitro Z20 and I'm wondering how to find the sweet spot on this trailer. Previous trailer was a single axle and this is the first time with a hot foot. The first day out I ended up drifting a bit to the right onto my bunk fender and making a small chip in the lower hull boot stripe edge. I think the trailer was a bit too low but it was at the level I launched at.

Any tips for tandem axle trailer depth would be greatly appreciated? Also, any tips for loading with a Hot foot would be helpful as well. It was definitely a little odd with the Hot Foot pedal and that could be part of my problem as well.

Thanks
J

just like with your single axle trailer you will have to practice, for me I just back in until the back tire is under water. Depe ding on the how low the the trailer sits this may be close. Using the hot foot is a training issue. You just need to train your mind that the throttle is on the floor.

Hi,

I just bought a new 2016 Nitro Z20 and I'm wondering how to find the sweet spot on this trailer. Previous trailer was a single axle and this is the first time with a hot foot. The first day out I ended up drifting a bit to the right onto my bunk fender and making a small chip in the lower hull boot stripe edge. I think the trailer was a bit too low but it was at the level I launched at.

Any tips for tandem axle trailer depth would be greatly appreciated? Also, any tips for loading with a Hot foot would be helpful as well. It was definitely a little odd with the Hot Foot pedal and that could be part of my problem as well.

Thanks
J
J.,

What has worked for me with a Nitro 929 dual axle is when loading the boat, take notice of where your back tire (on tow vehicle) is in relation to the water edge when you boat starts to float. When you "load" boat , I like to back trailer in water until my bunks are completely submerged to wet all the skids. I then pull up/out to the spot where my truck tires were (in relation to water edge) when I loaded. There's no set answer, due to different ramp angles. This is should be a good starting point. Regarding the hot foot, you should only need to use hot foot to load that last extra foot or two. Most boats will "settle" relatively straight on the trailer. If not, back out and load again. Trim motor out to avoid damage to lower unit. Practice and watching other bass boat owners unload/load helped in past.

Hello Everyone, thanks for the tips. I had a nice retrieve the other day but it was on a ramp that was not nearly as steep. I also found I needed to come in under just a little added throttle on the hot foot in order to center on the bunks better. Does anyone know anything about these Bulls Eye quick load guide ons http://bullseyequickload.com/

Hi,

Thanks
J
I've been fishing tournaments for a while now out of a nitro Z-8 with a Tandem axle trailer. The key to the load up is letting the water set in the middle of the trailer fenders. That is the sweet spot that I've found works in most situations on steep and shallow launches.
These longer boats are pretty hard to maneuver in close quarters, to make this easier trim the motor up a pretty good bit and the boat will turn a lot sharper allowing a much easier loading experience. A hot foot is an essential tool on the larger boats. The hot foot lets you have both hands free to work the steering wheel as well as the depth finders while running. It definitely gives you more precise use of the throttle. When loading with the hot foot you'll want to have a hand on the gear and mainly use the Nuetral and Forward. Less throttle when loading up until the boat is perfectly aligned with the runners, at that point you an run the boat up with the hot foot. Hope this helps!

Last edited:
I've been fishing tournaments for a while now out of a nitro Z-8 with a Tandem axle trailer. The key to the load up is letting the water set in the middle of the trailer fenders. That is the sweet spot that I've found works in most situations on steep and shallow launches.
These longer boats are pretty hard to maneuver in close quarters, to make this easier trim the motor up a pretty good bit and the boat will turn a lot sharper allowing a much easier loading experience. A hot foot is an essential tool on the larger boats. The hot foot lets you have both hands free to work the steering wheel as well as the depth finders while running. It definitely gives you more precise use of the throttle. When loading with the hot foot you'll want to have a hand on the gear and mainly use the Nuetral and Forward. Less throttle when loading up until the boat is perfectly aligned with the runners, at that point you an run the boat up with the hot foot. Hope this helps!
Hi PBO,

Thank you for the info, I'm Still having issues and it might be I'm too low still. Where is the front foot step in the water when the fender are half submerged?

I have a 2016 Z21, and previously a 911 CDC; I back up until the water line is centered between the two tires. That seems to be the best spot for the lakes I fish. I also have the motor trimmed up about a quarter. That seems to be the best spot to allow the last minute adjustment and push the boat that last foot up the trailer.

Latest posts

Back