new strategy for new boat.

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

greg paxton

Reaction score
ok, after some careful thinking, I have a new plan. I live in ohio with many 9.9 lakes, including my all-time favorite lake to fish . I usually fish all the 9.9 lakes using just the trolling motor. works ok, but I lose a lot of valuable fishing time poking from spot to spot. now, here is my plan;

buy a grizzly/guide v or equivelant and build the interior the way I want it. I have access to a full shetmetal shop and can build a full floor,storage boxes, etc.

now, the outboard is the critical part. I have owned a 9.9 previously to fish the local lakes and it was rather anemic. I plan to buy a tohatsu/nissan 18hp 4 stroke and install 9.9 stickers. this should give me the needed performance to occassionally tackle the 500-1000 acre lakes.

anyone have the nissan/tohatsu 4 stroke 18hp engine? if so, how does it perform?

what suggestions do you have regarding the boats I mentioned? I want a wide beam. 65+". the grizzly 1542 or the guide v14 are the two boats I will probably choose from.

any suggestions

thank you

ps. if I buy one of the utility boats, will I be banned from the board? :)

Bean, is there some particular reason why you believe that the same rules and laws that apply to others shouldn't apply to you? Why not just get a 200hp Merc and put those 9.9 stickers on it?

Bean,

Most Conservation officers today that work with restricted horsepower lakes are aware that the serial number plate has the hp encoded. That's how they catch the cheaters around here. Get a good 9.9 four stroke and sit back and relax. That small lake can't be that big that a couple of extra minutes will make any real difference. And, the advantage of the smaller motor will be apparent if you want to do any trolling.

bean at some point you might want to try lake erie for some of the great smallie action... I'm from Bowling Green,Ohio

my first boat was a skiff great boat for la sue ann. but junk for the big water.

If you have never tried lake erie it can/will surprize you

shaun

shaun,

lake la su ann. my all time favorite lake. not just for the fishing, but all the great memories over the years. I took several people who were just begining to fish with me and turned them into fanatics like myself.

I would love to fish lake erie but it just isn't practical with my 4cyl s10. I can't tow a 19-21' boat. so I have to stick to the smaller lakes. I love lake alatoona in Ga. super crappie fishing in the spring.

mike and greg,

rules? laws? whats that?

actually, most people buy the 9.9 and then buy the carb,intake,prop and whatever else is needed to upgrade to an 18hp. the engines are identical except for the items listed above

200 hp. I like the sound of that. would pulling 2 skiers with my "9.9" be too obvious?

tee,

I am located just east of richmond indiana. I have been on all the lakes you mentioned. have you fished rush run before? it is a small lake (50 ac) but has some nice panfish and a few bass

greg,

thanks for the heads up.

I checked into it and found that I can buy the 9.9 and upgrade it to an 18 for the same price as buying the 18hp outright(it's $400 more). and the serial # won't give me away.

thanks again.

The serial number may not give you away but the low rooster tail may get some attention.

Bean,

One last "warning"... Don't have full details...but it is my understanding that, except for "racing" applications (and that is purely "racing" applications) it is no longer legal for you or a dealer to "modify" that engine. I believe this applies to engines built after something like '96 or '97...

Anyway, good luck on your new boat... Just be careful you don't fly down a dead end...

mike.

no one would ever guess that my engine has been modified when I am on a 9.9 lake. I am not the type of person who would blast through a group of boats who are trolling along. I'll leave that for the jetskis.

I only want the extra oomph for my lake and the large lakes that I occassionally hit. when I said that the 9.9 was too anemic, I was refering to the larger lakes and the one local river that I fish in the summer.

I am very aware of other fishermans rights. I have had 20' skiboats blast by me while I am fishing and I don't care for the treatment(see the snip about jetskis also)

all in all, I prefer a small trolling motor only lake myself. I am not much of a boater. I just use one to get to the fish.

Huh?

Let me start by saying that I wholeheartedly disagree with Bean's intent. Laws are laws and most have some sort of reason behind them. There are MANY that I just don't support (especially when it comes to fishing, hunting, boating, etc.) However, I still must obey them. Attempting to short-circuit the law only F's it up for those of us trying to be legal. I saw this happen on my favorite small lake in Southern Illinois. Don't ruin it for everybody else...for pete's sake, it's only 10.1 horsepower you're talking about.

That being said, it's my motor and I can do what I want with it. Unless you live in California or North Korea, Greg, I'm pretty sure you can modify your engine however you see fit.

Still, though, if I was Bean (starting to sound like my father now)...save your money and time for a bigger boat/motor and go fish bigger lakes. If you're confined to the smaller/hp restricted lakes, what's another couple of horses gonna do for you?

Bean, I'm there with ya 9.9 seems pretty weak however Adam is dead on with the F'n it up for everyone else. The PETA a-holes love to latch onto this crap and use if for fodder against all of us (don't believe me try www.fishinghurts.com), we don't need to give these terrorist radicals anymore ammunition.

Now before you think a 4stroker 9.9 needs hopp'n up, my buddy who's got a 18' Crestliner Fishhawk (big damn boat) has a 4strkr 9.9 kicker with a 90hp sitt'n next to it, gets up and moves quite well.

Fish more

Best regards

Wildwood
http://www.fishinghurts.com

Latest posts

Back