New Owner Of An Old Tracker

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

David Romano

Reaction score
This week I bought a 1998 Bass Tracker 175 Pro with a 75 hp Tracker/Merc. I pulled it home 140 miles, followed nicely. I received an extra new prop, 3 PFDs, an anchor, 2 dock bumpers, a nice travel boat cover & extra TC-W3 oil. Also an extinguisher, an air horn & short paddle. It has a Motor Guide trolling motor with 43 lbs of thrust. I have to store it in a RV storage enclosure, bummer. Lots of little things to tend too. The black nonskid material on the bow has death by sun.

So far I have had to buy navigation lights, grease & gun, receiver & ball, plug to match the one on the trailer for the lights. Also have to replace a broken tail light. In the process of making a frame from PVC to keep rain water from pooling on the boat cover.

The 2 batteries are over 5 years old. Plan to replace them with Interstate yellow tops.

Does anyone know the part number for the prop on the trolling motor? (43 lb thrust Motor Guide 12 volt)

Anyone have issues running 87 octane regular in our motors? I put 3 gallons of 100 octane in the tank before I left Las Vegas, the seller said it would help the motor run smoother.

87 Octane is correct for that motor 89 though would be better for better idling.
"Mercury Component Cocktail" (Chemically, this works much the same as the previously recommended (and now to avoid alcohol content) cocktail, and requires less components.) This is Don's Preferred "Cocktail":

-1oz Mercury QuickCare per 5 gallons fuel
-1oz Mercury QuickLeen per 5 gallons fuel
(If leaving fuel in boat for more than 30 days, be sure to also add Mercury QuickStor).

Now is a GOOD time to replace those standard nav lights with LED's (much brighter) - same thing for the trailer and I'd run all new wiring throughout just for GP's.

Also a good idea to do ALL the maintenance because you don't know what's been done and when. Get yourself a Mercury OEM Service Manual (based on your serial # sequence) (not one of the over the counter from Marine Store varieties)

There's 2 places (if it doesn't have a rebuilt powerhead on it) one would be a decal

mercuryserial.jpg

Other would be on a welsh plug somewhere on the motor that looks like this (looking for digit, letter following by 6 more digits)

391496208.jpg

Rain, MUD, more rain, then sleet now looks like 4-8 inches of snow followed by 1/2 of ice they think, naturally, I've nothing to do but look out the back door. So funny watching the 9mo pup playing with his kong ball and sliding on the deck on the ice. He seems to love not knowing where his legs go while he bounces the kong.

87 Octane is correct for that motor 89 though would be better for better idling.

Now is a GOOD time to replace those standard nav lights with LED's (much brighter) - same thing for the trailer and I'd run all new wiring throughout just for GP's.

Also a good idea to do ALL the maintenance because you don't know what's been done and when. Get yourself a Mercury OEM Service Manual (based on your serial # sequence) (not one of the over the counter from Marine Store varieties)
There is a local Sinclair station that has ethanol free 91 octane, that's my fuel till I can't afford it.

I would replace the fuel lines due to the ethanol will ruin the original hoses. I have replaced the hoses on several mercury motors and the plastic liner was cracked and was blocking the hose. These hoses were only two to three years old. I run 91 octane non alcohol in my OPTI due to the problems with 87 octane and 10% ethanol.

I would replace the fuel lines due to the ethanol will ruin the original hoses. I have replaced the hoses on several mercury motors and the plastic liner was cracked and was blocking the hose. These hoses were only two to three years old. I run 91 octane non alcohol in my OPTI due to the problems with 87 octane and 10% ethanol.
My plan is to use the same gas as you. I have found one station so far with non ethanol 91 octane.

Latest posts

Back