New Motor Break In

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brian Miller

Reaction score
I just purchased (6/05) a new Tracker Pro Guide V-16 with a Mercury 50 HP 2-stroke (oil injection)

I've done a lot of reading on the break in procedures. However, at the time I took delivery of my boat, the technician explained I only needed to be careful and vary the RPM's for the 1st hour. No sustained high RPMs or constant speed. Also, at 5280' above sea level I didn't need to "double oil". The motor runs rich enough at this elevation he said.

Ok, I get home; read the Outboard Operation, Maintenance & Warranty Manual.

(reads in part)

MODELS WITH OIL INJECTION:

Use 50:1 gasoline/oil mix in the first tank of fuel. Very the throttle setting during the 1st hour of operation. Avoid remaining at constant speed for more than two minutes and avoid sustained wide-open throttle

That's the end of the break in. Has there been a change? Is the standard 10-hour break in overly cautious?

I did add oil to the gas tank to equal 50:1 and so far I only have 7 hours on the motor.

No problems what so ever

Snagnever - I hope Pat and Bob (both VERY experienced and knowledgable hands on experts will confirm or deny) check in, but as far as I know, on an oil injected 2 stroke CARB'd (not EFI) motor the following is by the book (and developed from the Merc and Tracker Atlanta manuals):

BREAK-IN PROCEDURES FOR OIL INJECTED OUTBOARD MOTORS

Provide by Atlanta Tracker Marine (to Michael Trepper with the delivery of his 2000 Crappie Pro 175), with additions/changes by Michael Trepper

For the first ten (10) hours of operations an approved 2 cycle oil is to be mixed 50 to 1 with the fuel (1 pint for 6 gallons of gas) in additional to the oil injection system. If you do not run your gas tank (with the 50 to 1 mixture) empty in the first 10 hours, get it as low as you can before refilling the tank. I ran mine down to about 1/8th and then refilled and have not had a problem.

First ten (10) minutes of operation

1. Operate the engine at fast idle ONLY. This is a great time to check the workings of all of the live/bait wells and get familiar with the boat while floating.

2. Verify water pump operation by looking for a steady stream at the water pump indicator (water squirting out of pee hole).

Remainder of first hour (next 50 minutes)

1. Do not operate above half throttle (no more than 3500 rpm

Snag:

Great advice from Trepper. The componets of your engine are breaking in and creating friction which results in heat and the extra oil helps disapate that heat. You're probably going to have the engine a long time so take care of it the first 10 hours and it will take care of you for the next ten years. I always used two tanks of double oil, then throw away the spark plugs. Double oil will give you much more protection than running rich.

Are you confident the dealer would honor the warranty if you blew the engine during the break-in period without double oiling?

Da Bear

The elevation does bring a question to mind. Does the Merc take that in to consideration when building/shipping engines?

BF

i think what the tech was thinking about the oil was the opti, the opti automaticly double oils the engine during breakin, pat will know for sure if the smaller engines do this but i dont belive so. it will run good even if you dont break it in properly, it will just shorten the life of the motor, at least thats what merc told me.

mike

Just don't hold it one place on the throttle for any length of time :)

Also after the first hour you can actually crack it open for short bursts to help seat the rings.

Thanks everyone! I'm following the 10 hour break-in. I'm also "double oiling"

Makes alot more sense than an hour to me. I would guess it takes longer than an hour to fully seat the rings and get the rest of the parts worn together.

I just was wondering why my book also only indicates the one hour break in.

Why do they tell you not to go over 55 MPH on a new car? They don't need it...it's just insurance for the car maker's;)

You ought see they way they bring those Honda Accords off the line here in Ohio...Your motor's already broke in the way those maniacs drive and the tests they go thru at the end of the line. I've seen it with my own eyes and couldn't believe it! Sounded like an indoor race rink with squealing tires, smoke, and all!:lol: AND Flat Out 100 + MPH on the gauge on the wall...unreal:D

Latest posts

Back