New Exotic Mussel that carries a viru

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Greg Meyer

Reaction score
I just read a post over on the Walleye board that another "exotic" has invaded our waters through the St. Lawrence seaway...and has been found in Lake Erie. Like the Zebra Mussel it attaches to boats, weeds, trailers and such. It is apparently very noxious and is beeing studied...hopefully to be eradicated. It has a naturally occurring virus that it is host to... the virus is transmitted/carried by the mussel and is extremely acidic in makeup... This is particularly disturbing to the marine industry because apparently when the mussel attaches itself to a fiberglas boat the virus can cause a blister that will eventually eat through the hull... Research is being conducted and contributions are being solicited through a website www.41024fun.com

Although I am tempted to believe this is a scam, I agree. Another solid argument for Tin!!

It means........BOGUS! Have you heard of the new algae introduced from Africa that literally eats through tin???? True stuff, will literally cause rivets and panels to deteriorate right out from underneath aluminum boats. Only protection is fiberglass. Surface is too slick for the weeds to attach to!

Oh yeah, well I heard the EPA is not going to allow glass boats to be built because they can't be recycled and are taking up too much space in landfills!

Is there any vaccine right now?? I should prolly do that as part of my winterizing.... LOL!

Oh grasshoppa, they don't have to recycle glass boats like they do tin, they hold their value AND just change owners! Kind of like Harleys, they just get more character! Tin however are like Yugos, a very nice, disposable boat! LOL

Oh yeah! Well I heard glass shrinks your schmeckle!

Again a myth! Actually......never mind! LOL The guys who brag about it, usually ain't got it! True story, I was washing my truck one time when this guy pulls up to the wash with this LOADED full size Licoln Navigator. Don't get me wrong, I want one! But he had the attitude, like "You're in MY way. Move your toy away so you don't scratch my $45k SUV" So he gets out and I just said, "Nice truck"

He replys, "I KNOW!" Real snotty like.

Without missing a beat it came to me and I immediately added,

"Sorry to hear about your schmeckle!"

Well, that's not EXACTLY the word I used, but it was something like that. LOL

Best part was he didn't get it!

Those are the guys you love to "save" when they are stuck off road! Like the guy in the loaded Mountaneer, who went flying past me on a trail. Well, about another half mile, me and my little ol Jeep had to winch him out of the ditch, and tow him to the main road when he slid off the trail and punctured his oil pan!

Do it on the water all the time! You'd be AMAZED how much weight you can tow behind a 40 hp outboard. When I had my super guide with the 40 hp, that little boat and I pulled a lot of rigs off the water. Even a 35 foot triple decker power yacht, into a stiff 20mph head wind. THAT was interesting, but got it done! Kill 'em with kindness I say!

Back