New Bay Boat

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Barry Dufour

Reaction score
Because of a disability I had to sell my Nitro because of the low seats, low storage and low sides. I'm looking for a 17 to 21 foot center console bay boat. Here in south Louisiana I can fish the bays, lakes and inlets and not have to go into the Gulf. I've fished them before and I like the standing up, high sides and having the rods and other tools high and easy to obtain. I was looking at a Mako or Express. Undecided on either fiberglass or tin, Both have good things. I can also use the bay boat in Toledo Bend and other large lakes around central and north Louisiana. Anybody have any thoughts? Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.
Barry from Louisiana.

When I fully retired from everything but being a Dad in 2005 I bought a fiberglass 19' Carolina Skiff w/90HP Yamaha. (I had pics on the old site.) I rigged it myself with an 82lb. Motorguide TE TM, 6" Detwiler hydraulic jack plate, three bow Bimini top, frt.&rear LCX-15's, and a stereo/cd for fishing with my boys during ball games. I've had that boat from the LA marshes in Lafayette fishing trout and reds to running the coast off of central FL catching spanish & kings with no worries nor issues. Countless days have been spent catching spots on Lanier at home and exploring skinny new waters off the Suwanee and Oklawaha rivers in N FL catching largemouth most men spend their life dreaming about. It has truly been the perfect utility boat delivering great performance and extreme durability in every application I've used it. The size and layout is very friendly solo and fishes well with up to three more on board. Whether it's a Skiff or some other brand, I heartily recommend that size for its overall usability. I would also suggest that style in a rugged fiberglass without carpet and easily cleaned with a bucket of bleach water and a pole brush for after the fun is done. That style rig on an aluminum trailer and whether fresh or salt, you're ready to go after what you want. I preferred the Carolina Skiff brand because they're made close to home down in Waycross, GA, the brand has a great record and following for durable fiberglass hulls, and those folk are just wonderful to deal with. :)

I saw that 17 foot Mako at BPS Monday and I like it except it didn't have a bow mounted seat. and I definitely liked the price of it with the 60hp motor.

Latest posts

Back