Need some fish finder advice

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jim Moore

Reaction score
Just bought a 2005 Nitro sea and ski with the 150 HP merc on it. The Lowrance depth finder just blinks at anything over 15 mph so I am looking to install a fish finder. I will be mounting the transducer near the drains, epoxying it to the floor, next to the Lowrance transducer.

I have read quite a bit of great info on this site regarding how best to prepare and epoxy the transducer - all of which is much appreciated.

Can anyone suggest a decent fish finder for less than $200 that has a history of reading the depth even at speeds of 50 mph with the transducer mounting inside the boat. While I am anxious to get the fish finder function also, being able to read the bottom on Lake Waco (lots of stumps) is the most critical goal.

Thanks for any help y'all can offer. Hopefully, I can help back sometime as I learn more about this boat.

Hope you have beeter luck than me Jim. I have tried several with the transducer in the hull and rarely have any luck with them working past 30. I'm sure someone on here knows a trick that I don't.

Your budget is a little slim with todays prices. You might find a used unit with limited features. You will have a hard time because placement in the bilge is tough because of the water flow under the boat. You shouldn't be running on plane through stupfields anyway!!:lol:

The key to getting this to work properly (any brand) is to test the location on the water. Add some water to the bilge (you may have to unplug your bilge pump to be able to do this) and place the transducer where you think it will work. Use some type of heavy object to hold the transducer in place

I appreciate the feedback. A slim budget is part of the reason I had to buy a used boat, but hey, I'm on the water. :D

I'll definitely try Greg's suggestions before mounting anything. Might be forced to go with the transome mount but there is not a hole in this boat and it kills me to start drilling.

Thanks again,

Jim

Latest posts

Back