Need a little electronics guidance

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eric nichols

Reaction score
Need a little help with my bow mounted Humminbird 596c unit, please....water temp and depth display both work fine and the readings match well with electronics at the helm, but lake/river surface clutter, fish icons, and bottom contour display is very limited or even gone.....worked fine Monday, was sketchy Wed so I took the transducer off the trolling motor and cleaned out the Transducer Saver....same result today.....I didn't mess with any of my settings, so I'm not sure where else to start looking....any help is appreciated....if I left out any info, let me know.

Thanks,

Eric

Did you damage the transducer cable with the mount (pinch) when storing the motor?

Did you damage the cable were it goes around the motor from underneath by bumping into stuff?

Do you use the plastic cable ties to hold the cable to the shaft and tighten them so much you damaged the conductors and insulation inside?

I've had the unit for 2 seasons now, this is the first time I've had this problem. I took a look at things this afternoon....as for the cable ties, they are loose enough so the cable moves without binding....as for the cable itself, I could not find any visible kinks or cuts in the cable....although I pay close attention when lifting the trolling motor in/out of the water, I'm not saying it couldn't have been pinched, this is just the first time I've ever had any issues....thanks for your input, Wayne.

Eric

Do one more thing, set the unit to Default to get rid any settings you may have changed that could affect how it displays stuff.

Will do, Wayne....unless there is a test I can run while the boat is on my driveway, I'll be back on the water Wed to see what happens.

Thanks again,

Eric

On-the-water testing is the only way to determine if it is working properly.

Is there a way to reset the unit back to the way it was right out of the box....unless I overlooked it, I didn't see anything in the manual.....no big deal to start over.....I'd rather do that to find out what my problem is.

Eric

Yes, it is called Restore Defaults as I mentioned before. It's shown in every manual in the Setup tab.

I passed right over it, Wayne.....I've reset it all, checked all the connections, and checked the cables..... now gonna see what happens tomorrow morning....thanks for all your help.

Eric

It's official, the transducer is bad.....time to spend some money and get a new one. Thanks for your suggestions and help, Wayne.

Eric

Does anyone know how to switch out lowrance mark 5 from the dash mount of a z6. I was thinking about upgrading to a elite 5 but rather do this myself without going through my dealer.

Latest posts

Back