My son's new toy

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Greg Meyer

Reaction score
1972? production, almost new condition (small rub/wear on corner of the case)

20971d1240331566-22-target-pistol-purchase-browning-medalist.jpg

Anybody else have new toys

Last edited:
Nice!

Challenger? Challenger II?

They have been out of production for years. (made from 1962 till 1974?) They were not an overwhelming success from a sales standpoint. It was a design by Val Browning (grandson of JM Browning). They cost anywhere from 50-100% more ( when a Ruger Heavy Barrel was $60 in 1962 the Medalist price was $120, less than 10% of their current value in very good condition) than contemporary pistols and although very accurate they were not a lot, if at all, more accurate. Still, they drew praise for their beauty. One guy in my Uncle's Shooting club had one and I got to handle and shoot it in the 60s. I bought one for myself, used, in 1974 or 5. I kept it for almost 15 years when I sold it (along with others that I did not shoot) to finance a boat purchase in 1988. My son has always criticized that transaction and feels that returning one to the family makes the world a little closer to being "right". He is now just a little "unhinged" since as soon as it was viewed by his wife, she claimed it as her own!!!

They are truly beautiful examples of the gunmaker's trade, produced in Belgium. Here is some additional info....

http://archives.gunsandammo.com/content/browning-medalist

Last edited:
I'm sure I may have seen one at a gunshow but didn't recognize it for what it was. Never had one on my bench. Daisey made a Powerline pellet pistol that has almost the exact same lines as the stock. Wonder who they copied it from.
I could be so lucky to have a wife claim any of my weapons as her own.

fatrap

I'm sure I may have seen one at a gunshow but didn't recognize it for what it was. Never had one on my bench. Daisey made a Powerline pellet pistol that has almost the exact same lines as the stock. Wonder who they copied it from.
I could be so lucky to have a wife claim any of my weapons as her own.

fatrap

I am very fond of his wife. She loves to shoot and now she even reloads her own shotgun shells. A little background is in order here.

Courtney had never fired a gun till about two years ago. One of her coworkers married a shooter and the coworker started doing some informal trap shooting and encouraged Courtney to get Jeff to take her out. One trip and she was hooked.

Around 1990 or so I bought a Remington 1100 20ga with an english straight stock and a 21" barrel to use for rabbits and quail. Jeff used that 20ga to shoot his first duck. So, for 20+ years he has begged me to give it to him. No chance. Well, that was the shotgun that Courtney used to shoot trap. So, when asked about a wedding present Jeff was told that she wanted one of those 20ga shotguns like mine. Jeff looked for over a year to find one in very good condition at a reasonable price. So, as time passed and the wedding got closer, he was getting desparate. With the express condition that he had to give it to Courtney; I sold him that shotgun together with it's handmade green canvass and sheep's wool case. His only comment was; that when he wanted it for himself I wouldn't give it to him; but, when Courtney wanted it I was willing to part with it. I explained that it was simple; I like Courtney!

Courtney's gun is like this one: http://www.armslist.com/posts/24028...le--remington-1100-lt-20-special-field--mint-

I wasn't left out, I arranged for a very similar 20ga 1100 that I like better. Mine has a gold inlay of Sam Walton, a real downer! But, it has a 23" barrel that accepts choke tubes and that is a big plus. Poor Jeff.

Here's mine with Sam's likeness: http://www.gunauction.com/buy/82877...i-auto/remington-1100-20ga-sam-walton-edition

Last edited:
That is sweetness all the way.
My oldest friend in the world(one of the few people who actually claim me for a friend)is an advent gun collector, trap shooter , and gunsmith (shoots at Moline gun club) he has a collection of 1100's several in 28 gauge. Used to come and hunt quail and pheasant with me when we had plenty of birds. I've never seen one with an English stock. That is so cool. At the Des Moines gun show this weekend I commented on the fact that there are more and more women getting involved with the shooting sports.

fatrap

Latest posts

Back