My personal best thus far

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Okuma

Reaction score
This is my biggest striper thus far, caught on the 'hooch about 2 years ago. Stopped fishing heavily shortly after and am now getting back in to it. I couldn't find the original picture, only the one where I blocked out the background for a fishing report. I believe he was just shy of 30 lbs.

stripe1.jpg

I had no idea there were stripers that big in the Chattahoochie. Are they stocked below the Buford damn, or do they get out of the water at the dam, belly flop past the power station, down the hill, and jump back in the river at the park below?

I had no idea there were stripers that big in the Chattahoochie. Are they stocked below the Buford damn, or do they get out of the water at the dam, belly flop past the power station, down the hill, and jump back in the river at the park below?

Theory is they run up from West Point every summer all the way up to Morgan Falls dam, and I think some stay here year round.

Very nice Lineside Steve!

I've caught them off the bank as far south as Jones Bridge Park and as far north as the Cleveland city limits above Belton Bridge. Stripers tend to spread out as long as there's forage to maintain the school and temperate, oxygenated conditions without too much turbidity. (Or at least what I've been told.) I've seen the DNR shock boats out in the back of Flat Creek and sometimes Mud and Orr Creeks in the winter to harvest females for eggs and males to milt the roe in racetracks at the Buford hatchery. The DNR puts them in and takes them out to regenerate the population as less than 1% of the "sterile" stock can regenerate naturally in our impoundment. (Lanier) That's a good thing with their appetite.

Very nice Lineside Steve!

I've caught them off the bank as far south as Jones Bridge Park and as far north as the Cleveland city limits above Belton Bridge. Stripers tend to spread out as long as there's forage to maintain the school and temperate, oxygenated conditions without too much turbidity. (Or at least what I've been told.) I've seen the DNR shock boats out in the back of Flat Creek and sometimes Mud and Orr Creeks in the winter to harvest females for eggs and males to milt the roe in racetracks at the Buford hatchery. The DNR puts them in and takes them out to regenerate the population as less than 1% of the "sterile" stock can regenerate naturally in our impoundment. (Lanier) That's a good thing with their appetite.

I used to fish Flat Creek in the Winter every week with about 15 other boats :D Pulled at least 1 15lb-er every trip it seemed like. Very productive area in the winter for sure, I'd love to have one of those houses back there and be able to do that every day.

I'm sure now that I have a boat again I'll be back there come December - February

I've gotta try that, have never caught a striper OR a lake trout. But going to Louisiana probably 4 trips from Sept to Nov, see if I catch me a bull redfish. Love marsh fishing down there near Port Fourchon, Houma, Lafayette areas.

Latest posts

Back