Muskie fishing Questions

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rick Hale

Reaction score
Morning all,

I need some help with Muskie equipment.

I have never fished for these "Fish with Teeth" before.:unsure:

So looking for some recommendations on Muskie equipment and Lures.

I have a fishing trip planned for Lake Vermillion (Minn>) this May. Walleye /smallie / pike / and MUSKIE :D

Then In Sept, A 10 day Muskie fishing trip to Canada.:D

Really getting excited..:lol:

I have all the equipment / lure for everything but Muskies.

Thanks

Rick

Bigger is better for Ski's. Mini outta chime in he goes for them on St. Clair every once-in-a-while. Big in-line spinners (Meps style) in bright colors are what I've used (and tore them up btw). There are plastics made especially for them also. Usually you need broomsticks 10 feet long if you are a regular Musky guy but I just used my bass stuff in the Heavy catagory....C-rig and flippin rods. You can't throw the HUGE baits but you can throw some pretty good sized ones. Now a days, I imagine the new big swimbait rods would work also.

TOXIC

Rich,

I assume you will be casting for them. Around heret he best way is to troll for them, but not everyone does it. It is an exciting thing watching a 3 foot plus fish follow your bait to the boat.....and when they strike, you best be hanging on!

There many baits that work.....in line spinners, topwaters, rat-l-traps, safety pin style spinnerbaits, shad raps, body baits, etc. BEst to ask what the local HOT bait is.

Around here if you are casting for them in shallow water a Shad Rap, Rat-L-Trap, Storm Kickin Minnow, Brunner Runner inline spinner are all good. I catch a ton of em while smallie fishing, but I wouldnt expect that too many places outside of Lake St Clair.

Use braided line and a REALLY STRONG BALL BEARING SWIVEL. I like the SPRO swivel, others like the SAMPO.

6, 6 1/2 & 7' rods seem most popular because they are easier to cast. Some guys go bigger, but you work harder for them. Use a BIG spooled reel. Those beasts can run and it isnt easy to turn their heads! Also make sure you handle those monters carefully. The exhaution of a fight on hook and line can be devestating to them. I assume you are taking a guide? He should have a cradle, jaw spreaders and a good pair of pliers...

Send Mr Neeley an email. He has a decent selection of musky baits and it is gettiing better each day.

I will post a couple of pics...

These two were both caught on bass gear (spinning rods, both 7', one with braid, one with mono) about a week apart while fishing with Mac in the summer of 06.

IMG_1129.jpg

IMG_1134.jpg

IMG_1288.jpg

IMG_1295.jpg

Look at the teeth on that thing! Of course as I said we were bass fishing, not cradle, no net, no spreaders, etc......hand to hand combat!

Wow -- "fish with teeth"

Mini - Sorta Looking at the Daiwa Luna 300 teamed up with a 7' St.Croux Avid series muskie rod. (since Kathy sells St.Croix

Just not sure if I should get the MedHvy or the Hvy and 7' or 7.5' rod.

The group going to Canada with, have been going to this place for 15 years so they know the water - etc. Since I've never tried this ???

Now on the Lake Vermillion trip-- We are getting a guild for walleyes for 2 --1/2 days--Figure this will get us started on learning this 40,000 ac lake. I will be taking the Muskie outfit along but will mostly going for walleye and smallies.

Mini -- Are you guys coming down for the grand openning of the BPS in the KC area in Feb??

Man -- I'll tell you what..Cabela's and two BPS all with in 30 miles.. Can't get much better then that:lol::lol:

Thanks and stay warm..

Rick

I know one thing I fished a bass tournament at Lake Wissota in Wisconsin and when I went on the weigh-in stage they asked me how was the fishing....I told them if they ever had a Muskie tournament I was going bass fishing. I caught five of those nasty beasts and lost at least a half dozen crankbaits in my two day event. I could not keep those guy's off my baits heck they even attacked a sweet smallie I was trying to bring in! Good luck with those Monsters of the deep! By the way did I mention they have BIG teeth and stink! :D

All the Best,

The Dragon

Been a many man lost a finger to those toothy critters!:eek:

Flashy rings and washing hands under the boat is a no no up north...seriously!

A little off topic but I watched a show last night where the mate on a blue water boat wrapped his hand in the leader getting ready to land a Marlin and the fish decided to take another run.....Yep....he lost 2 fingers. He was a true fisherman though, as they loaded him into the meatwagon his last comment had to do with how mad he was that he lost his favorite lure!!:lol::eek:

TOXIC

Yes Rich. Mac and I will be there at the Independence store. Sat and part of Sunday....

Get the 7'. 7.5' is hard to throw all day and even harder to transport.

Oh yes they do stink....to me they smell like wet steel!

Mini.. I will see you con that Sat.-- What is that date??

Going with G.Loomis Rod.. 6'10" heavy.

Here is the URL

http://products.gloomis.com/gl/products/alltackle/detail.jsp?PRODUCT%3C%3Eprd_id=845524441760536&FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=2534374302032521&ASSORTMENT%3C%3East_id=1408474395181201&bmUID=1201049754146

(Copy and past in the address line in IE..)

Does not work if I put it in the URL / link thingie

Thanks

Rick

I think its the 23rd. I will have to double check that when I get my Intinerary.

Mini,

Speaking of muskie, I just saw that Bob Brunner will be at a local sport show. I look forward to talking to him again. He was at one my club sponsored and I got to spend about a half hour picking his brain before the doors opened. I'd love to spend a couple hours in a boat with that guy!

Rich D

Mini - If you hear of a good deal on the Shimano Calcutta 400d, Please let me know. :)

From what I have read, Sounds like this is a good reel for Muskie. Holds up well and easy to clean.

Thanks

Rick

Bob Brunner is a good friend of mine and Mac's. He gets mad at me when I dont take him fishing. if you look at his books, there is apicture of Mac's old boat (Carlos' howns it now) on the cover. I took that picture :)

Make sur eyou buy up some of his books. They are doing well on eBay.

Mini

I remember you guys telling me you knew him. I did a little name dropping and that is how we got to talking. I said we were as good friends as people can be that never actually met... (This was before the Classic)

Pete is a good guy too, I talked with him at a couple shows. I see your art work all over their site, Mac. I was always surprised they never used Spinecrusher!

Rick,

Calcutta's are nice reels, but you really can't go wrong with an ABU Garcia 5500 or 6500.

Rich D

Guys - this old man has been doing some of that there fancy readen online :blink:

The St Croix AC300a is made by Daiwa to St. Croix spec. The Daiwa Luna 300 -- St Croix AC300a --Shimano Calcutta 400d-- there is always a ongoing discussion about--What is the best :unsure:..Everyone has their favorite.. Like ford or chev..

Well with Kathy (wife) managing K K Flyfishers (link below) that sells St. Croix rod and equipment.. I better keep the $$$ in their business.. (If you know what I mean):wub:.

This Muskie fishing can get $$$$$. Muskie lures - Holy S__t...$15 to $30 each.:eek:

SuperLine-- ??? witch one??

I'll see you guys here Feb 23 at the BPS openning..

Thanks Rick
http://www.kkflyfisher.com/

Rick,

I use 80# power pro on my trolling rods and 80# Stren Super Braid on my casting rods. The Stren is a little softer/limper and I prefer it over the other lines. Which ever you use, be sure to put a mono backing on your reels before the super line. The mono will prevent line slippage.

My go-to lures are Wiley lures, either the muskie killer or head shaker in perch or $9 bass.

Rich D

Latest posts

Back