Motor

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mark Misocky

Reaction score
Need advice on 50 hp mercury runs after about 2 mins of warming up before that it surges really bad. Haven't tried any additives yet any suggestions.

What year boat? What do you treat the fuel with? Have you replaced the fuel lines with ethanol resistant ones? Carb or efi or opti? Have you replaced the bulb? Sorry but need more information.

Sorry it's a 2 stroke 50 hp mercury recently serviced new fuel lines not ethanol free though. Haven't tried any kind of fuel additive yet. It runs great after about 2 mins of surging when it's full throttled. Thank you for any advice

Shock treatment of Seafoam. Instructions are on the can. Is it a carbed motor? Do you mean you put new lines on that are not ethanol rated or you run ethanol gas?

I believe Tox has got you on the right track. Sounds like you've got trash in the line somewhere. ( Carb jets, filter, etc.) Change the inline filter and clean the screen before intake and dope the system heavy with Mercury Quikleen and use a fuel treatment with every tank of gas. (Marine Stabil and/or Sea Foam) Good luck! ;)

One other thing I've noticed when I pump up the bulb it doesn't get hard is it supposed to ? As far as gas I just put reg 87 octane in there with valvoline 2 cycle oil. I will try a fuel additive and cleaner as well.

Nothing will make sense to us until you tell us which motor you have......50 Horse Mercury what? We know it's a 2-stroke. Is it an efi, carbed or an opti? And why run Valvoline in a Mercury motor?

Tox - I believe the 50HP Mercs only came carbed. The later four strokes have a little EFI feeding them. ;)

I've never been a motor guru....but I've owned a few:lol:

Mark,

Replace the bulb. It's cheap insurance and eliminates a source for a problem. Make sure you get the ethanol resistant one.

I have a 1993 17 foor tracker aluminum boat with a 60 hp evinrude 2 stroke 3 cylinder motor. When I start the motor, I push in the key and it start up and idles. I put it in gear and it will run for a minute or two and then tries to die. I can push the key in again and it will run for another minute or so and the die if I don't push the key in again. Also if I give it more throttle while in gear, it will die unless I feather the throttle until it reaches 2000 rpm and then it will plane out and run fine until I try to idle it in gear again. I can't load the boat using to motor because it will die again. I've taken it to boat mechanics and had the carbs cleaned and adjusted and had a different prop put on which helped a little bit. I also had the vro taken off and new spark plugs put in and also a new fuel filter. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

I have a 1993 17 foor tracker aluminum boat with a 60 hp evinrude 2 stroke 3 cylinder motor. When I start the motor, I push in the key and it start up and idles. I put it in gear and it will run for a minute or two and then tries to die. I can push the key in again and it will run for another minute or so and the die if I don't push the key in again. Also if I give it more throttle while in gear, it will die unless I feather the throttle until it reaches 2000 rpm and then it will plane out and run fine until I try to idle it in gear again. I can't load the boat using to motor because it will die again. I've taken it to boat mechanics and had the carbs cleaned and adjusted and had a different prop put on which helped a little bit. I also had the vro taken off and new spark plugs put in and also a new fuel filter. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

I have a 1993 17 foor tracker aluminum boat with a 60 hp evinrude 2 stroke 3 cylinder motor. When I start the motor, I push in the key and it start up and idles. I put it in gear and it will run for a minute or two and then tries to die. I can push the key in again and it will run for another minute or so and then die if I don't push the key in again. Also if I give it more throttle while in gear, it will die unless I feather the throttle until it reaches 2000 rpm and then it will plane out and run fine until I try to idle it in gear again. I can't load the boat using to motor because it will die again. I've taken it to boat mechanics and had the carbs cleaned and adjusted and had a different prop put on which helped a little bit. I also had the vro taken off and new spark plugs put in and also a new fuel filter. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

jerry,

You should start a new thread so your problem can be addressed separately. Welcome to NTOWS.

Latest posts

Back