Motor Guide trolling motor problem

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Travis Smith

Reaction score
WE WENT OUT FISHING ON SATURDAY AND WE GOT TO OUR SPOT ANDPUT THE TROLLING MOTOR DOWN AND IT WORKED FOR ABOUT THE FIRST FIVE MINUTES AND THEN IT WENT DOWN HILL FROM THAT. tHE MOTOR STOPPED IN COLD BLOOD SO DAD PULLED IT OUT OF THE WATER AND IT WORKED FINE BUT THEN HE PUT IT BACK IN THE WATER AND IT DIDNT WORK. SO WE TOOK THE PROP OFF THE TM AND LOOKED FOR FISHIN LINE... NUTTIN CEPT FOR A FEW WEEDS THEN DAD TRIED THE BUTTON AND OF COURSE IT WORKED AND THEN ALL OF A SUDDEN WE HEARD THIS LITTLE SPLASH AND YOU KNOW THAT LITTLE PIN THAT GOES BEHIND THE PROP ON THE TM? WELL IT WENT INTHE DRINK...GONE....LUCKILY WE HAD 2 MORE IN THE KEY THAT WE USE TO TAKE THE PROP OFF SO WE PUT IT BACK ON. WELL ANY WAYS IT WOULD NOT WORK ON HIGH BYPASS OR THE MANUAL FOOT BUTTON BUT IT DID WORK ON CONSTANT ON. WHAT GIVES? WE GOT HOME AFTER SLAYING THE SMALLYS---NOTHING UNDER 2 LBS AND WE CAUGHT BOUT 12 OF'EM--- WELL WE PLUGED THE CHARGER IN AND TRIED THE TM IT WAS THE SAME POWER WHICH IT WAS AT THE LAKE, NOT NORMAL. wELL WE MESSED WITHTHE BREAKERS AND FUSES AND THEN IT WORKED FINE. WITH 109 LBS OF THURST YOU CAN TELL THE DIFFERENCE OF WHEN IT IS PERFORMING 100% AND WHEN IT IS NOT. WELL AFTER WE GOT IT WORKING CORRECTLY WE FOUND THERE WAS A DELAY BETWEEN THE BUTTON AND THE TIME THE MOTOR GOES ON. THI PROBOBLY ISNT GOOD IS IT? ANYWHO...WE WENT AGAIN THIS MORNING AND IT DID THE SAME THING. dAD THINKS ITS THE SWITCH COULD IT BE THE FOOT CONTROL SWITCH?

ANY HELP WOULD BE APPRECIATED.

T.S.

I agree with GW,..sounds like a foot control switch. Easy to replace!! And you don't want immediate power with a 109lb motor.....like GW said,..you'll launch yourself or your partner if you're not careful...those motors are designed to start slow at intitial take off...they let you steady yourself....

That T/M is current sensing and should not work while being charged. (What year T/M is it?) This protects it from surges while under charge. Just FYI. If you didn't get an owner's manual, you should consider ordering one. A 36V system is a fantastic, powerful one, yet has a few novelties within itself. (I've got 109's on both boats I run right now and I love it!) You should have (or immediately install) a breaker (50 amp recomended) at each T/M battery, the first thing to check with a reduction of voltage/power. Hope this helps!

Travis, you didn't say if you had had it back in the water. Mine worked while retracted on the boat, but the instant it was in the water it would run very slow on the constant on and momentay settings and ran like hell on the By-pass. I have mine in the shop now. There are several circuit cards that need replacing. Dealer says about $400.00. He also told me that this problem was fixed after the 2001 models and I wouldn't have any further issues, but if anyone has any information or experience to the contrary, I would like to know.

if you have hi-by-pass and you are moving from one spot or another with the trolling motor use the hi-by-pass do not use the 5th speed for long periods of time. it will burn out 2 circut boards. 1 in the top and 1 in the bottom at close to 200.00 apice. this happened to a friend of mine and motor guide said this happens a lot to people who do not use hi-by-pass. also near your batteries you should have in-line automatic resetting breakers that can pop off when your batt has a freash charge. these can get weak sometimes and need replacing. thanks stan

The model I believe Travis refers to has a rheostat power control, not a set speed switch (1-5). I haven't heard of any circuit board problems on the Tour series other than the first Pinpoint models (2000-2001) that were prone to seepage into the motor housing, causing boards to fry. I've had TE T/M's since 2000 (4 of them) and had no problems other than self inflicted. Just FYI.

The 2001 and 2003 MG Tour 109 did have problems with the circuit boards as mentioned. I have heard that there were close to 75% failures in the field. MG has redone the motors for 2003 and eliminated the problems (so far).

There is likely a circuit board problem with your motor and should be serviced. Call MotorGuide for assisance.

Mini

yes the newest motors have been changed. and the rheostat motors have the high bypass and are the ones that burn out. as did my friends. thanks stan

Latest posts

Back