Motor caught on fire......

• Thread starter tightline 700lx
  • Start date
Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tightline 700lx

Reaction score
2003 50HP Mercury EFI 4 STROKE SERIAL: OT626219

Went fishing with my dad on his boat Saturday. So we are riding down the river and rpms start to flutter, we back off the throttle and look back to find the motor converted to a smoker:blink:... Not good right, turned the motor off and took off the cowling off to find a small fire. Put out the fire with water from the river. After looking at it we found out that it was the voltage regulator that caused this fire. By the way not the first time this has happened on this motor. First time was under warranty. It damaged a bunch of wires, dip stick, temp sensor, oil filter, plug wires, etc. Was looking on the internet to see if this was a recurring problem and found that there was a recall, I think, in 2010. Couldn't find anything official but seen a bunch of stuff on different forums... Does anyone have any knowledge of this? (Bob:D). If so I sure would be greatly appreciative.

My 2002 50ELPT Merc did the same, caused $3000 damage, first sign is the Tach starts to flutter and thats when the BBQ starts. Mine melted the cowl, 3 coils, stator, regulator, harness and limiter. Took it to be fixed under insurance and the mechanic said, "Oh a typical Merc regulator BBQ" really common on these.

There's no fuse to stop it from catching on fire and it's well known to do this by Merc mechanics.

2003 50HP Mercury EFI 4 STROKE

SERIAL Number: OT626219

Couldn't figure out how to post them on this thread so check out my library...

Sorry, I missed the number in your first post early on...didn't have my morning coffee. Anyway...there is an open "fix campaign", that your friendly local Merc Dealer should be able to assist you with. If they put a call into Tech Service, they will take your problem "under advisement". Be sure the Dealer lists all "damaged components". Let me know how you make out.;)

Thanks Bob for the advice... Merc dealers around here (pensacola, fl) are not very helpful :eek: usually so we will see what we come up with... Will keep you guys posted. Wish we had someone like you around here. :wub: LOL

I can supply you with a consumer affairs number if all else fails....let's try the Dealer route first. The Service Bulletin number is 2005-011 for reference. If they pull your serial number up on MercNet, they will see what I saw...;)

Thanks again Bob...:D

Can't begin to tell you how invaluable you are to us all here...

You're welcome!

On another note....the most common reasons regulator / rectifiers fail are:

-1] Loose grounds, poor grounds or corroded wiring.

-2] Discharged batteries.

Tell the servicing Dealer to insure all grounds are CLEAN and TIGHT. ;)

Go an answer from our "great" local merc dealer, realy quick too... They said "We can not help because the recall ended in 2008". :angry: Point blank end of conversation...

OK, just got off the phone with Merc Tech Service. Regulator failure claims are being honored, if your motor was subject to the fix campaign. I gave them YOUR serial number, and it is now on file. All the Dealer {of your choice} has to do is call it in and get it repaired, under WARRANTY. ;)

Wow is all I can say... I wish I lived in Massachusetts instead of Sunny Florida... JK I wish I could afford to move you down here.

Just a note to all the Mechanics out there, I would much rather spend 5 times more for a Honest mechanic then be ripped off by a dishonest one

No problem and very glad to help. Let us know how it all turns out. ;)

Just send him a DVD of the Lucas drag boat competition, we won't hear from him for a month!!

And I would want some answers from the mechanic you are using as to why he couldn't do the same thing...and I would be a bit concerned about them doing the warranty work.

TOXIC

Lol... Dually Noted.

The original mechanic was confronted and all he could say was "your sources are incorrect and Mercury will not do the work under warranty." Thought that was funny cause I called the other dealer after Bob called Merc and they put me on hold for about 2 minutes and said "bring the boat in and we can get started right away":)...

"Your sources are incorrect"....ask him how it'd feel with a 1/2 breaker bar sticking out of his left nostril. I'll give him incorrect....:lol::lol::blink::cool:

Sorry...it's that Itailian side again...

This, once again, is a perfect example of the importance of choosing a dealer - wisely!

And the help and assistance available from the membership here!

Tex

Latest posts

Back