Mold on cover!

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Carli Drake

Reaction score
Hey Guys & Gals,

Anybody know how to get rid of mold spots on the inside of my boat cover? Perhaps recommend a cleaner for both sides of it?

Thanks!

Carli

If anybody has something safe other than soap and water, please respond. I tried some other cleaners and now the threads are rotted.

Cost was new cover.

Yeah! And will it work on the Tupperware that's been sitting in the back of my 'fridge for the past coupla months? (Or was that 6 months.....)

me!

LOL.....you open it up and ask yourself,.."Is that meat,.....or Cake???"............

Scott,

Your Tupperware problem is easily solved. Throw out contents of bowl, wash good and if you can't get the stain out, call Tupperware for replacement. I'm serious, they have a lifetime waranty and if they don't make that particular piece anymore they will still replace it free with something similiar.

NOTE: I prefer to use plastic margarine tubs so that when I find "mystery food" in the frig I just toss the whole thing (margarine tub) and all into the trash! LOL

Now.....About my boat cover?????????

"Is" is present-tense..... I know what it "Is" - what I don't know is what it "Was"!

No type of rotted food can compare with a container of nightcrawlers-gone-bad!!!!!! ooooowwwwweeee

A close second would have to be crawfish once they've turned medium-rare under a bright sun!!!

PLEASE! Take it from me...someone who learned the hard way...DO NOT use the wife's Tupperwear for bait!!!!

hahahaha

But honey, I only used the one that had the spaghetti sauce stains on it!

az

Carli, is it mold or mildew? Black spots generally indicate mildew, but I could be wrong. My dad had the same problem with an old pop-up camper with a canvas cover. I'll ask him what he did to get rid of it.

Yeah.....okay...mildew. It's black spots - not green and fuzzy. Mold and Mildew are about the same in my book but I'm sure one of you botinist/biologist will straighten me out. Whatever it is....it looks awful and I know its from folding up the cover while its still wet (mainly with dew)and not having the proper time to dry out.

Andy Z. that's why GLAD now makes the disposable plastic containers!! LOL

I can't believe you guys are still married after using your wife's tupperware for bait!!!! LOL

OK Carli since everyone else is chiming in and NOT offering advice i'll do it too! Worse smell and stains were a dozen or so minnows left in the bait bucket (with no water) in the 90 degree heat of the summer closed in my baitwell in my garage for 3 weeks! Kept smelling something in the garage every day but thought it was the fish gut remains of the catfish we had the week prior stinking up the trashcan. Take boat to lake, go to remove tiedowns and figure out where the smell is comming from! Not only smelly, spotty but MAGOTS!! OOOOOOHHHHHHH YUCK!

Rinsed it out on the lake but them bleached the bucket/baitwell good that night!

I left a few Crappie in my livewell one time.....completely forgot about it on the way home......boat sat in the garage for 4-5 days in the heat of summer....didn't remember them at all until the night before a tournament and i was doing my pre-tournament rod riggging, boat maintenance etc......I opened the livewell lids (they are so air tight there wasn't a hint of funk!!) and what do you suppose I found??!!

I hooked the boat up to the truck.....found the nearest dumpster i could find,......made a "deposit"

and then went to the .25 car wash and sprayed the most haneous funk I've EVER smelled outa my livewells!!..LOL...I will NEVER forget Crappie in my livewells again!!!....now I know where their name came from!!

Mac McFunk

Thanks MO!!! I knew someone would come thru with the answer if I persisted!!! What do you mean by "Natural Soap"?? Something like IVORY soap? that's natural.

Scott.....guess no one ever told you that Tupperware is warranteed for life. It's cheaper to get it replaced than it is to pay alimony!!! LOL

Carli

Saw a sign the other day,.."Love is Grand,....Divorce is 100Grand!"...LOL..It didn't say anything about tupperware though!

Mac

quite a few years ago my friend and i and our dates went to a lobster bar and had more lobster then we could possibly eat. so we threw our leftovers in the trunk and went bar hopping till the wee hours in the morning. when we finally woke up about noon the next day(95 degrees)and not a whole lot memory of what we did the nite before.we could'nt imagine what that rank! rank! rank! rank! smell was. we almost got kicked out of the campground because of the smell. stan

I have 2 smell stories:

In high school I worked at a grocery store and we had a huge sale on Lobsters. We ran out of lobsters by before noon. My manager asked me to go to another store in our chain and pick some up from them. Well, I through 2 wooden crates of lobsters in the back seat and drove to my store. Unloaded and locked up the car good and tight. I got out of work at 6pm opened the door and thought I was going to hurl. The stench lasted all summer. I NEVER rolled the windows up after that. I traded the car that winter when it didn't smell so bad.

Second: We had a big chest freezer. When we sold our house it worked. We put it into storage for 6 months. We bought the new house and moved the freezer in but never plugged it in. My buddy Mike asked me to store 20 pounds of frozen Mackerel that we use for Striper bait. I took the Mackerel and threw them in the freezer and plugged it in. I told Jill that I had plugged in the freezer. 2 weeks later Jill went grocery shopping and stocked up on meat, ice-cream,etc.. Well, she came home and opened the freezer only to find that it no longer worked. The smell of the Mackerel traveled throughout the house faster than she could gag and close the lid...

Oh, one bit of advice.....never leave a tupperware bowl with milk in a hot car....GAG!!!

Marke

Okay, MY smell story. Teaching 7th grade. A hot, Hot, H-O-T, HOT and humid St. Louis spring. School did not have air-conditioning.

A mouse crawled up into the metal door frame of the classroom and DIED! At about 1:30 every afternoon, it was better to suffer the heat and humidity with open windows than to sit in a cooler classroom with that smell. Lysol didn't work. Couldn't disassemble the door to take the carcass out.

Finally decided to teach the last week of school out on the front lawn, with breaks to use the restroom and get the next set of books and materials. Never thought an animal that small could cause such a stink.

Carli:

I have NO idea what "natural" soap means. But I'll bet you could go to a specialty store and find some. Check with an allergist in your area to find out what they recommend for folks who can't have certain chemicals in their soap or laundry detergent. Ivory sounds like it might be good, but I think this recipie calls for a natural laundry detergent.

My dad said to be sure to take the cover outside, use an old toothbrush or other nylon brush and scrub the mildew spots dry. That knocks loose a lot of the remaining spores. Then use a vacuum cleaner with a disposable bag to vacuum the cover. Throw the vacuum bag away immediately so that you don't spread mildew spores inside your house.

Then clean the spots with the recipie, allow it to sun-dry and repeat as needed. As a final step, if you still have mildew spots, make a 50/50 mixture of rubbing alcohol and water in an old spray bottle and spray the soiled areas to kill any remaining spores. He says some spots probably will never go away, but the goal is to kill all of the spores and to keep the cover as dry as possible. Hope it works!

Thanks Mo! I'll give it a try and let ya all know if it works.

Carli (who is laughing so hard from smell stories that her sides hurt!!!)

Here's a good one!!!...When i was a teenager there was a kid down the street that was a total jerk...if he wasn't the anti-christ at that time, he's gotta be in prison now!! anyway,. he was the neighborhood punk that would do a lot of vandalism and just stupid maliscious stuff,........well, one night my Dad left

his brand new caddy out in the driveway instead of putting it in the garage, and it got soaped sooo bad from bumper to bumper that he couldn't even drive it the next day..he was HOT!!...Then a week or so later, my Mom found a dead animal of somesort, (she didn't ever say what it was) in our mailbox!!

Well...paybax are hell.....we all KNEW it was the kid down the street doing all that and he was doing it to everybody,...not just us.......my older brother came home on leave from the Marines a short time later, and we were telling him about what happened. He proceeded to take his .22 down to the river behind our house and he hopped in the canoe and went "hunting"......he came back with 4 HUUUUGE carp and that night, he went down to the kids house and put those dead carp up in their eve's!!! LOLOL.....Luckily the kids house was way down at the other end of the street, and it was a HOT summer,........it REEEEEKED to high heaven for weeks down there,...neighbors were all complaining about the smell...and they knew it was coming from that kids house,....they'd see them looking in the bushes and flower beds....nobody ever looked up in the gutters!! ahahaah...well low and behold if all the neighborhood terrorism didn't come to a stop after that!!!.....God Bless the Marines!!

Latest posts

Back