Mike Iaconelli

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Teri C.

Reaction score
I watched him this morning on Bassmasters. All I can say is he gets on my last nerve.

I think he is a nice guy from what I have heard and from different people who have met him and talked with him. I just watched it too...all I have to say is it is the same here.

I 2nd that, Teri. Like one guy said on another forum I was reading, one of the old pro's like Denny Braur, Gary Klien, etc needs to pull him to the side and jerk a knot in his A$$. The way he acts he needs to be catching passes for the 49ers or something. KENNY

Yeah, I watched his antics again this morning as well... I found myself getting more and more upset with him...

It just isnt that neccesary for all that screeming... shaaking fists, etc... and every fish is " a big one"..

I like the announcer that stated that the emergency crew was there because "mike was one fish away from a heart attack"...

They started penalizing football people for unnecesary antics (end zone dances) maybe they should do the same here...

I think he's a nut and an embarassment to the sport. Personally I'll be glad when his stardom fades.

Harpo

Lighten up guys he is a good fisherman and excited as hell about fishin for a living. We are all just jealous lol!

Sorry guys, but us Generation X and Y'ers are here to stay. Plus, the sacrafices they go through to fish prof., I wish there were more like him.

Michael

He's still young and like all young gen. x'ers he thinks he already knows it all and has done it all. luckily for him he still has a lot to learn. Not about fishing necessarily but about living ! There is no substitute for life experiance. Someday he'll be a man.

You can bet that the camera has a lot to do with it .He's still just a kid !

He is a little loud but he knows how to catch fish. I don't think he acting...I bet he has been hyper all his life. Every sport needs someone like him-good at what he does but a little different from the others. I wish I could get were he is at in this sport with or without his personality.

In 2000 I was fortunate enough to spend a lot of time with him on one of the practice days for the Clasic... He is an extremely likeable guy in private... I know he is excited to fish for a living and he knows that he is lucky to be doing what most of us dream about doing. He is just that excited to catch a fish...

I kinda feel both ways.....

He was kinda fun to watch at first.....

But jumpin' all over the boat for a dink?

Then.....

On the other hand.....

Kinda like fourth down.....

and 2 inches to go to the goal line.....

I gotta admit.....

At age 54.....

When I don't get too excited about much of anything any more.....

I kinda admire his enthusiasm!

Just tone it down a bit when you're around me! OK, Mike?

That black guy was quite funny with the look on his face after mike landed that fish. LOL. Oh well i think it will wear off eventually. I also have a lot of respect for that guy because well one day i could be compeating against him. Ya never know. That is what he will be remembered for on the BASS tournament trail...his crazyness in the boat.

T.s.

You could read that guy's thoughts.....

"And white people say we yell at movies....."

Or..... Maybe it was.....

"He dances like a white boy....."

And, please, these are definately not racial slurs. If you know me, you know that I have no room to be prejudiced! I just get the biggest kick out of the diefferences that make us all human!

If I was in the position that Ike was in, ie, chance in winning the tourney, putting a big check into my bank acct, picking up a few more sponsor's and being on National T.V, I would get on your nerve's too. lol. Yes, he get's very excited. Hell, I fish all the time and I start shaking when I get close to the launch. I have picked up a few bass that within a few seconds, everyone on the Lake was informed of what I caught.. lol.. He is one of those guy's

that people either like or dislike. I think he will be around for a long time.

My .02

Max <><

Enthusiasm and excitment in the sporting arena is a good thing but acting like a fool is quite differant. Mike Iaconelli can't tell a big fish from an eight incher. His antics are as out of place as the football player that hid the cell phone in the goal post to call ESPN when he made a TD. You would think it was the first fish the man ever caught. Bob Stoops teachs his players to be very reserved with celebrations on the field. Champions don't need to embarass the other team and they should act like scoring is something they do on a regular basis. A champion should always act like a champion. I think it's called "Esprit de Corps", isn't it Carlos?

Harpo

Jon said exactly what i was thinking. I dont know how many times I screamed to my buddy "get the net!!" it the it was a 12 inch fish. Come on we have all acted that way once, its part of the excitment of the moment. He just happens to have a camera in his face. My screams and yells may not be as loud but i feel my enthusiasim rivals his. All in all I belive he is good for the sport and is going to be around for a while.

Donnie

I was watching it too. My 10 year old son and his friend came running into the living room wondering what the heck was going on. I think M.I. is very enthused about what he's doing. I also think he over does it quite a bit with the celebrations and such too though. But I did find myself pulling for him at the weigh in.

He is not the typical bass pro. He is from a large dirty city like where I'm from,Chicago, and he feels very very fortunate and lucky to be where he's at. I think I like him. I just don't think I'd react the way he does. But,who knows?

I didn't say I didn't like him...I don't even know him. I said he gets on my nerves. Do I get excited when I catch a fish? Yes I do !! Do I yell? Sometimes I do! But I am not doing it as my job. If I jumped up and down and screamed like he did everytime I wrote a program people would think I was a freak. He can be excited but he takes it to annoying. Every fish is "a big one". Come on, I don't say that and anything I pull in is exciting to me. And why does he have to lay down to boat a fish??? Fling it in, baby. And where did he get those black and white shoes he was wearing?? Generation Y'ers should have more style than that.

You have your right to like him but he'll always be annoying to me.

Teri.....................

You're right about the shoes.

I was wondering what he was wearing in that pouring rain.

Focused on his shoes a couple of times (when he was laying on the deck screaming, haha)

Looked to be a gore tex hiker boot.

Actually the shoes were the only thing about him that I thought made sense. He was wearing regular running shoes with rubber rain shoes over them. Have you ever fished in the rain with all your high dollar rain gear on and still ended up with wet feet? I'm getting me some Iaconelli pull on rubbers.

Harpo

Guys (and Gals),

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think Mac fished with this guy last year at Bever lake and wasnt impressed with him. Personaly I dont like the guy because he is somewhat of a show boat for the camara, seems to me he does't what them around when he has it tough, but when he is on fish, bring them on. I am not knocking on his talent but the way he is around the camara. Just my thought's

LOL!! I thought I would be the only one who noticed the "golashas" over the tennies! I kept thinking how silly it looked! Heck, I don't have anywhere near all the money he won last year and even I have gor-tex hikers that I bring for rainy days!

Put a pair of pink underwear on him and he'd remind us all of Rob!!!!!!!!!

All I got to say is this....

"It ain't braggin' if you can back it up"

We will see. If he is the caliber fisherman to run with the big dogs then he can act any way he wants and remember, there's no such thing as bad press, look at this thread, emotion, opinion, all around buzzing, it worked!!....Kinda like the Janet Jackson thing.....

TOXIC

We all did look at the Janet Jackson "THING"!!!!!

Some looked over and over and over and over! LOL!!

I watched that yesterday too....I couldn't believe it!!!..I find that stuff annoying as heck too and I think it'll get real old real fast!!...give me a break...people who win the powerball lottery don't even act like a baboon on crack,...no reason for a "professional" fisherman to act that way,...get a grip dude!!

If anyone is going to yell like that after catching a fish, it should be Rick Clunn aka- "The Guru".

Kevin Van Dam, Denny Brauer or Woo Daves never yelled like that after catching their fish to win the Classics they won and they've got lots more time and RESPECT in the game than Ike.

His antics are annoying. I'm not jealous of his talent or his profession, if he puts the time and hard work in... He deserves the rewards that go along with it. However, I don't believe that "hollering", as my mom would call it, has a place for a physical, cerebral sport such as this. If he needs to do something with his mouth and lips after catching a fish.... Tell him to kiss the fish and then go back and make his next cast!

The first time it was O.K. but, a little on the wild side. Well he don't know when to stop and it IS annoying...but, hey I'd probably be worse:)!

TEE

In the words of the Rolling Stones.....

"He's so hot for her.....

And she's so co-o-old."

Mac,

You have such a subtle way with words... "a baboon on crack"... Subtle man... just subtle....

haha....I saw a video in a college class one time.....of a spider monkey on cocaine,....goin' absolutely spastic in his cage,...you'da thought he just jerked a 2lb fish into the boat!!

I wasn't going to touch this one, BUT since I got YANKED in,

Thanks Tox, like Kid Rock says (that always is playing at Neeley's) "It ain't braggin mother F@#$#@" if you can back it up!"

Mac, people who with the powerball DO spaz, probably much work than Ike did. There just aren't any cameras around to capture it when they realize they've won. And to the rest who don't like him, don't watch. I'm not saying I would act that way, but let me set the stage for you:

You've wanted to fish for a living AND be successful at it your whole life. You get your break and are doing it. You qualify for the mother of all tourneys, the pinnacle of the sport, the Bassmaster Classic. You make the final cut and everyone is pulling in 6-10 lb limits. A 3 lb fish is considered a monster ("big fish" is a relative term. I have seen 7 lbs win a tourney), and you tie into a 2 1/2 lber that you are certain will likely win the tourney for you. And you ALL are standing here and telling me that you wouldn't FREAK out at the idea that you probably just achieved what millions would like to and can't in a lifetime of attempts. That you probably just became a household name, and overnight millionaire. Sorry, I don't buy, any one of you who is at all competitive in fishing or any other sport, would wet your pants and scream like a little school girl with her skirt pulled down! There, I'm done now. Funny how we can all pass judgement on someone else, without ever getting to know them, and yet dismiss antics of our own as "special circumstances".

LMAO,......you're killin' me MaLoy.....now shut up and fish!! ahahahaahahahhah

...he wants to be like Ike.....LOL

Rob,..we're not talking about the BMC,.....did you see the show this past weekend??...He was spazzin' again (actually, I thought it was even more so than the BMC) when he thought he had the Harris Chain tournament won,......he was going absolutley nuts,...screamin' and yellin' and pumping his fist and just freaking out,...he was sure that he had won it,...BUT unfortunately for him, Marty Stone pulled it off and won ....Iaconelli finished 4th. Everybody shows their own level of "excitement" in various forms,....i just don't find his "display" all that appealing...no big deal..just MY opinion.....I've had PLEEENNTTYYY to be excited about over the past 6-12mos...accomplishing some things I never dreamt possible.....but I have yet to totally lose it like that and I'm fairly certain I never would given those same circumstances,..it doesn't fit my personality...atleast NOT with camera's and spectators around!!

I have also had several first hand experiences with Mr. Iaconelli which have left me an identical number of reasons why not to, "be like Mike".

That is all I'm comfortable to relay on the subject in our public forum, other than we have a much larger assortment of highly respected role models in our sport. Unforunately, the Classic winner does not have to fall into that category. IMHO

Let's see.....Mike Iaconelli catches a fish at his job and jumps up and down like a maniac.....I fix a system at work that has been down for weeks.....I get to do the paperwork, keep cashing my paycheck and hope to keep my job, no parades or nothing! I may or may not even get a raise at the end of the year. Granted, my job has way less profile than Mike's, but it's ok to be a little humble sometimes and be thankful for what we have. I know what I know and lump everything else in the category of stuff that I don't know yet. I do know that I will always fish for fun, even in the bass club tourneys and will never be on stage at the BMC!

Bob G.

Sorry, didn't realize that it was a seperate tourney. If he continues with it, then it may just be his way. Nobody jumped down KVD's throat for jumping up and down and throwing his fists in the air when he won the classic! I saw the footage of a classic Ike lost 2 or 3 years back and he was the same way back then. In contrast, Aaron Martens was pulling HUGE spots in the river and was totally calm about each one. We all do things a little different. I tend to get a lot louder and more verbal when I LOSE a fish. I have been accused of making up NEW cuss words! LOL

"I do not like that man very much. I should get to know him better." Abraham Licoln

Geez Lamoy....why don't you and Ike get a room!!!!!!!

BWAHAAAAAAAAAAAAAHAAAAAAAAAHAAAAAAAAa

I crack me up!!!

Hey there brow shaver. Your day is coming! LOL Now go pick some mushrooms and don't make me call Rhonda on your hinnie!

DAYAM !Its good to have Rob and Kneeley posting again on a regular basis! hahahaha

What he calls his hinnie is NONE of my bidness! And I don't ever wanna know either. The black fly episode was enough for me!

Yo Joe,

don't be schmoe.

don't worry Mac

I got yer back!!!

you fargin' icehole!!!

Now now boys play nice.....

Mike needs to tone it down a tad. If he wins let it out....

Like some people say...act like youve been there before.

Mini

If you want to celebrate 'after' your fish is weighed in, and you know that you've done something - more power to you. One of the most endearing images I have is VanDam after his Classic win. Please note, it was 'after' he won.

When Mike I. did his thing on the front deck of the boat, he had no real knowledge that that fish put him over the top.

Be happy, yes. Be an idiot - not while the camera is rolling.

Tex

He knows how to market himself in the world of TV and sports hype! He also is a good fisherman! He found his own

niche in the sport of Bass Fishhing!!!!!

Richie,

Common rumblings are that Mike I. will be the first angler to win the BASS Masters Classic, and it NOT result in the $1,000,000.00 in marketing and sponsorship deals that almost everyone else has gotten.

He certainly appears to be a very good fisherman. Though it will be interesting to see how he does this year.

Tex

Latest posts

Back