Midday tactics for smallies

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

David Jordan

Reaction score
Just trying to catch more smallies. It always seems to go the same way. Catch smallies until 1 or 2 hours after sunrise. Bite seems to die after this point. I try fishing the deeper points, humps, or cabbage ie 15 to 25 feet but can't seem to coax a bite. I'll throw big spinnerbaits off the ends of points into deep water and burn it. A CR rig or tube or any other bait it doesn't mater. I just can't seem to get a good bite going after 9 am. Any help?

Dave,

Smallies are a special breed. In my experience, the hard part is staying on top of them. They sometimes will re-position during the day, and this is possibly want's happening to you after 9. Try slowing down when the bite slows. I've sometimes found big smallies in less than 2ft of water under a big hot sun. Other times, I'd have to go deep. One thing is sure, when you find one...there are more around. I try to stick to rocky structure, and when the wind blows go straight to the receing point of the shoreline and hold on!

good luck,

Pierre

Latest posts

Back