Message For Texas Transplant & Other Carolina Folks

• Thread starter Christopher Laurencio
  • Start date
Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Christopher Laurencio

Reaction score
Tex,

Possibly looking at relocating myself but would be on my own (no-relo), any resources you or others know of in that area in regards to employment for a CPA?

Thanks,

CJL

Hey Chris

You can move here(Eastern Nebraska/Western Iowa). No hurricanes only 20 or 30 tornados a year. Lousy fishing, good hunting. Your not in the middle of nowhere but 50 miles further West and you are.

fatrap

Thanks FatRap, but I think I need more water to fish than you have out there, Tornados would most likely scare the Hell out of me and the Family, never seen one:huh:

On a side note: If I do sell my current house and have to start over with a new mortgage, my hope of becoming a Teacher when the house was paid off is most likely gone.

Thanks for the invite.

I was very impressed with the people I met in NC when I went down there this summer, very nice people.

CJL

I was just looking on Realtor.com Tex Rock Hill SC zip 29732

How far is that from good fishing & employment, mass trans. etc.

I may be able to buy a house in Rock Hill SC for the Net Return I get out of my current house.

Great fishing here in Mi....and lot's of demand for a CPA.

As a matter of fact, I'm in need of one!!!

HMMM, It's Alaska Cold, Africa Hot, you already got Kid-Rock, Great Small mouth fishing, I may consider , but something about the sunbelt area vs, the snowbelt area. Would I have to be a Lions Fan?

I can't beleive the house prices in SC, is there any employment there?

Chris, check into the NE area too. There is demand to CPA's in this area and lost of companies. And the fishing up here is GREAT!!!!

FYI i just looked and my company is looking for a CPA to do audits.

JimB,

What's the housing market up there like?

Is the job posting's for "Internal Auditors"?

BTW - did you decide on the Titan or the Ram? Or none?

JimB,

I just looked at your website, I assume Bose?

Yup they have jobs, I wonder how comparable the pay is to Northern NJ, I just looked at Realtor.Com for Framingham, MA, the housing market appears to be comparable in price to NJ.

CJL

Okay, I guess I'll have to put in my pitch for moving to Oklahoma....

Better football than NC (and Nebraska for that matter).

Great climate (especially compared to NJ).

Great Bass fishing with BIG lakes that you can use the gas motor on.

We hardly know what crime is (compared to the east coast).

One of the lowest priced housing markets in the US.

Every Yankee I've ever met that lives here thinks that they've died and gone to heaven.

A friend of mine owns a small accounting firm so he could be some help.

A huge Hispanic population so no discrimination here.

Two Bass Pro Shops.

And best of all.....me. :lol:

Think about it, we'd love to have you.

Harpo

CJL - several of the major accounting firms are headquartered or have major office presences here (think Ernest & Young, Arthur Anderson, etc.). Also, lots and lots of lawyers, politicians, businesspersons, doctors and other professions here meaning demand for good CPA's that can help with finances. Two of the richest counties in the country are right next to DC (Montgomery Co. in Maryland and Fairfax County in VA), which means more potential business for you. And we got FISHING galore. Besides the upper and lower Potomac (which I know you know well!), there's Lake Anna a short (1.5 to 1.75 hour drive) away from DC, and numerous smaller lakes and impoundments closer in (Occoquan, Burke Lake, Triadelphia Reservoir). There's also the Shenandoah River and Susquehanna not too far away.

Okay, the drawbacks - man, its crowded down here! Because of demand, housing is pricey. Commutes are pretty ugly ( but then there are commuter trains and a great metro system). You also have the lawyers, politicians, and assorted other "I'm-better-than-you" types. But on the whole, its not bad here in the Mid-Atlantic region. We don't have any real snow to speak of (although 1-2 inches will shut down the city!), summers are hot, but every public place seems to have A/C. Schools are also pretty decent overall - just don't live directly in Washington, D.C. (that's STILL a screwed up city for residents).

Hope that helps!

JC

LOL @ Harpo, Do they have any Cuban Sandwich Shops? JimC has you beat on that because I know of a Cuban Eatery in Bethesda MD, my wifes Uncle also lives in the Naval Archive Building so we have family around.

But I will have to consider that offer, sounds good in OK, but what's the "Show Me" state thing, what do I have to "Show" to people? :lol:

JimC,

I beleive that Montgomery county is the highest taxed county in the Nation :unsure:

Pros -

I could probably get a job with my Real Estate connections in your area.

I can go to Dave & Busters in the Rockville Mall

I like walking around Georgetown for the evening

Houston's Bar & Grill

Relatives

Cuban food

Cons -

High cost of living

the "BELTWAY" :wacko:

Redskins

Relatives :lol:

Oops, I forgot a another con for MD, you don't have Harpo, that's a big one :)

Harpo, where do you vacation in OK? Do you have any zip codes for good areas to live within commuting distance to employment?

Do I have to leave my Giants & Yankees stuff when I leave?

Will I ever see a Smallmouth again? :(

CJL - come to Virginia. We have the LOWEST taxes in the tri-jurisdiction area. Our insurance rates are low too! Plus, we have Carlos, Bill in VA, Kenny, and Toxic as neighbors (sort of - it is a big state!). You can still get to Maryland, but don't have to pay the taxes and you'll be close, but not too close to the relatives!! Dave&Busters is still doable and you can watch the Yankees beat the Orioles. Yes, the Redskins are an issue (being a diehard Bills fan - the only REAL NY team), but that can be ignored! As for smallies, you gotta fish the upper Potomac with me - I'll show you smallie habitat!

JC

JimC, I will keep that on my short list,

Have already talked to the wife and she is ALL FOR IT, snow! who needs it!

Not so sure about the Cuban thing but lots of Mexican resturants but hell, who needs a Cuban sandwich when you've got the best barbque in the world? Cuban food....hmmmm? Sounds interesting....could be a good business opportunity for you.

We do have airports in Oklahoma so you can vacation anywhere you want. I've been to Mexico, Canada, Florida, you name it. You can fly anywhere you want....as long as you don't mind flying out of an airport named after a man who died in a plane crash.....Will Rogers or Wiley Post. ;)

We do have Smallmouths, in fact they dominate the Largemouths in several lakes...also Waleyes and some Trout, but those are (I can't think of the word) planted.:unsure:

Zip codes are Oklahoma City area 731** and Tulsa is 741**. I live in Edmond which is a suburb of OKC, my zip is 73003. Tulsa has a lot more of a big city feel to it although OKC is really bigger in population and area. Tulsa has more corporate headquarters and oil companies ect. There are also more lakes on that side of the state as well. Oklahoma City is big and spread out. Traffic is a piece of cake, we don't know what a real traffic jam is. Schools are fair to excellent depending on where you live. I'm not exaggerating when I say that everyone I meet from the north, loves it down here. I have a good friend from Chicago and a couple of NJ guys. I just met a lady yesterday from Cincinnatti who's been living down here for 25 years. When I told her that Cincinnatti was one of my favorite cities, she thought I was crazy.

One more thing... although we complain about the taxes here, they're nothing compared to what you're used to.

Harpo

PS. I almost forgot. We now have an NBA team.....for a year anyway. The NO Hornets are moving here until NO Superdome gets rebuilt.

Chris,

I live in Rock Hill, work in Uptown/Downtown Charlotte. Good mass transit to Charlotte from Rock Hill. Pretty decent schools in Rock Hill.

Lot's of fishing around. Lake Wylie (Bassmaster Classic last year) is 10-15 minutes, depending upon where you live in Rock Hill. Others within a short drive.

SC has much better tax situation than NC does. I'm sure that there are probably all types of positions open for CPA's with experience. Not my knowledge area though.

Major employers in the area:

Wachovia, Bank of America, US Air (though shrinking), Insurance. This area somewhat revolves around the financial industry and NASCAR. Not as much textile anymore, though some still here.

Let me know what other info I might be able to assist with.

Tex

Tex,

That zip code of Rock Hill SC zip 29732, is this a nice area?

what kind of commute in miles and time is it to Uptown/Downtown Charlotte?

Thanks Tex.

This may become a reality in the near future.

CJL

Don't rule out 'Bama... ever hear of the little pond called Guntersville? Huntsville area is the best kept secret in the south!:D

Sully, thanks, how far from NJ like in Merrill Creek

45 min from Jersey (in general) and an hour 15 min from MC maybe

Down to 529,900

http://www.realtor.com/Prop/1051784236

I get on the bus 6 miles from the house, at 6:40-6:45AM. I'm dropped off downtown, around 7:10-7:15AM. Coming home is a little longer, as I get on the bus on the front end of the route - about an hour all told.

29732 is my zip code. Rock Hill has a variety of housing. Upscale, starters, mid-life, ranch, rurual, etc. I live in a house built in 1980 that looks like a ranch, but has a walk out basement. House sit's on 1/6 acres, and is 3600 sqft. It's half brick, half cedar. It's valued at about $220,000.00. Technically, I'm in the county, and not in the city proper.

I have used Allen Tate realtors (all over both Charlotte and Rock Hill/Ft. Mill - a similar community as Rock Hill nearby).

Tex

Fatrap,

I must have missed Harpo's last repsonse, it does sound pretty darn good. We have Mexican food in NJ, it's called Taco Bell :lol::p:lol:.

Seriously Mike, I think he invited me, not you. :rolleyes:

Thanks for the info Harpo.

CJL

hey Chris,

Id assume the housing market and pay scales would be similar to your area. Actually the pay scale might even be a bit better.

Your assumption on Bose was correct, that is where i work. Great company to work for.

As far as the truck, i think mine is here to stay for a while. I cant get anyone to give me even clost to what its trade in value is. The used car market really stinks right now i guess. So the Dakota is here to stay. If i was trading it it would most likley be for a Titan.

Well..... Chris I know he was talking to you but Harpo made it sound so good I want to go too. They have decent bird hunting I figure I'd just blend in. I already have bib overalls and a straw cowbow hat and I don't think Oakies were shoes at least their women don't

fatrap

Believe or not but I have a straw cowboy hat already!

I guess I will have to change they way I talk, like instead of saying

yews guyz

and

overdare

I will say

yuall

and

over yander

:)

Chris

Years ago I had a shipmate from Brookylin NY. He used to complain all the time on how bady the rest of us spoke English. We'd just look at him in amazement! Even my redneck buddies could say saw instead of sour or sarded or what ever.

fatrap

Fatrap,

My best friend and fishing partner was born and raised in West Virginia, he has a great way of talking.

When he gets upset he says "I was fit to be tied" :lol::lol::lol:

Chris - Don't forget Atlanta!! Lake Lanier, Allatoona, West Point... Trout rivers and streams, 4 hours from the coast! Very reasonable housing prices for a big city, a VERY diverse city (heck they let a jewish redneck from NJ (by way on Indiana, Chicago and Houston TX) live here!!!!

A VERY diverse economic town with a lot of jobs.

Great weather, lots of stuff to do but there are 2 cons (besides Me!!!)

1. Traffic STINKS - We have the longest average commute of any city in the USA

2. Schools - Overall we're 49th in SAT scores, Washington DC proper schools dropped 2 points so we're no longer 50th!! There are a FEW good public schools, but typicaly the housing cost in those areas are HUGE!!!

I was waiting for Trep to repsond, whew, thought maybe he didn't like me anymore :lol:

Thanks VA Chris, sounds good, I am going to put some very serious thought into this, I may have the opportunity to roll my ROI on my current house and move to a new world for me and my family, of course my parents wouldbe devasted but that's just the way it is I guess.

Thanks all,

since you already have VA Chris as a handle I will have to stick to "CJL" :cool:

Suuuuure, all you guys come live with me. I've got my daughters old bedroom that's just collecting junk and a couple of sofas and some sleeping bags... the more the merrier. Especially Chris and his wife....I'v seen pictures of Chris's wife and I want to say that he married way out of his league. ;):lol: Maybe Chris can teach me how to make one of those Cuban sandwichs....I never met a sandwich I didn't like.:lol:

Harpo

:lol::lol:

Married out of my league! Hah, She's actually a dam good bassfisherperson too.

Okay, I don't really know how to make one, but I can sure eat them, here's what they are made out of.

Cuban Sandwich

Cuban Bread, kinda like french bread, (but it don't shake) :p

Cold Cut Ham

Swiss Cheese

Roasted Pork

some kind of sauce called mojito (it's liquid garlic)

pickles slice extremely thin long ways

Then the sandwich is pressed super flat in a sandwich press until the bread is toasted and the contents is hot and melted.

There is another version called "Media Noche", which means Midnight, it's smaller and made on what we call a potatoe roll, (you know the potatoe bread rolls), it's called that because it's a midnight snack.

Yet another version is to take the original cuban sandwich, open it up and add Cuban made Ham Croquettes(? spell.), and then press in sandwich press, that one is awesome:wub:

I can't believe they are famous for Cigars and not the food, the food is wayyyyyy better.

I think I saw those on the Food Channel. I want one....pick it up and I'll pay you for it when you get here. :lol: Also saw a Cuban pastry called Cappachinos (not after the Italian coffee drink but because they look like little cone caps) that lookes wonderful. You really need to come to OKC and open a Cuban resturant.;)

We just got a new place called Jersey Mikes Subs that's awesome. A good friend of mine who's from Hoboken says they're just as good as the subs you get in Jersey.

Harpo

Dang, now I'm HUNGRY, Harpo where I live you can't get one either :(

Maybe I can send one in a dry ice or something?

But the next time your in Disney or Florida , you can get one.

HOBOKEN! I grew up next to Hoboken, I thought the only famous people from Hoboken was me and Sinatra, go figure. :) :huh:

Yep, my friend Melody Updegrove from Hoboken....another one of those Yankee transplants I was telling you about.:lol:

Harpo

Now I'm in the mood for one of those sandwhiches, I will ask my Dad to bring me up some from the east side of NJ this weekend, when I eat it, I will dedicate it to you buddy, LMAO :lol::lol::lol::lol:

Another good sandwich to try that is typical for Cubans is the following.

Cuban or french bread

Get some Spanish Sausages called - Chorizo (it's reddish in color) VERY TASTY

Slit the Sausage dwon the middle

Barbecue or fry the sausage

retain some of the reddish color oil that is created from cooking

drizzle a little of the oil on the bread

put chorizo on bread and fall in love :wub:

NOW I"M REALLY HUNGRY

I'm sure you can get Chorizo sausage, do they sell Goya products by you?

Mexicans don't eat Chorizo, it's more of the European Spanish that eat Chorizo

Try it

CJL

Wasn't there a dancing penguin from Hoboken? Bugs Bunny helped him get to Antartica only to learn that he was from Hoboken. Upon that discovery, Bugs was noted to have utter the famous line: "OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO, I'm dddddyyyy'in again!"

Mojitos? Aren't those the Cuban rum drinks made by muddling mint and lime than adding rum, syrup and a splash of lemon-lime soda? There's a number of bars in Arlington, VA that make a great version! As for Cuban food, I'm partial to Puerco Asado with lots of onions or even Rojas Viejo. Gambas in a butter garlic sauce are also a winner as are the black beans and rice that often accompany these dishes. Hmmm... time to go home for dinner!!

JimC, I think the word Mojito has more than one meaning, I could be wrong, when you say "Rojas Veijo", do you mean "Ropas Veijo", which means "Old Rope" in english? Ropas Veijo is a tasty dish, it's basically in the english version, pulled Beef over rice, as in shredded pot roast that pulls apart from being very tender. Either way it's some real good eats.

CJL

Charlotte is the place for banking in the southeast although that is not what I do. I know a few people that live in and around rock hill its a nice town and very close to Charlotte. Great fishing in Lake Wyle and several different types of lakes within a hours drive.

CJL - yup, typed too fast - meant RoPa Veijo! Also loved a dish called Masitas De Puerco Fritas when I was in Miami last year. Just remember as you're looking to relocate your family, we have a number of good Cuban restaurants down here AND great fishing!! :D:):D

CJL, Ever give the Knoxville, TN area any thought? Any where in east TN is beautiful. Love to have ya! The house next door to me is for sale, brand new- still being built. Several really nice lots in our subdivision still for sale.

OK, time for my 2 cents worth-

I would never suggest someone move to the Washington, DC area. Ive lived here all my life in Northern Va. Ive spent time in the Birmingham, AL area each of the last 6 summers fishing a small law enforcement tournament. I have decidied that I will probably retire and move there in the next 4 years. I Will most likely end up somewhere between Birmingham and Atlanta Ga.

IM totally thru with the traffic, the winters and all the other "stuff" that goes with living here.

The homes here in Va are EXPENSIVE. I got a flyer in the mail this week. 3 bedroom townhouse, garage, basement etc STARTING at $700,000. The worst part is someone will pay that. Not me. For that kind of cash I could have one of the nicest houses on Guntersville !

OK im done ranting, carry on !

Thanks everybody for your suggestions, my wife and I are going to give VERY serious thought to relocating once our house is sold. Every winter we say that's it! , no more cold and all that snow!!.

In any event I have a long list to review LOL, thanks.

I am leaning towards the SC & NC area, I really liked NC when I was down there this summer, everyone was very freindly and curteous.

CJL

TEX,

Hope you don't mind I have just one more question or just to clarify. You live in SC get on a bus 6 miles from home @ 6:45am and your in Charlotte @ 7:15am?

You live in Rock Hill, SC & work in Charlotte, NC.

I can buy a house for roughly $175k-$250k, that is of decent size and property in a nice area.

LM Bass fishing is a short trip away, and I can use my 200hp engine?

Amazing.

CJL

Is this area anygood, Tega cay, SC 29708

Tega Cay is a nice area, right on the lake. It is VERY HILLY there, and is primarily a 'golf' community - but certainly some boaters also.

No restrictions on motor size on any of the Catawaba River chain of lakes. A couple of them you really don't need a huge motor for, but others certainly helps.

For the most part, the ride in on the bus in the morning, is pretty quick.

I have a 3600 sq foot house (ranch with a walk out basement that is completely finished out living area), on 1/5 acres. Half brick and the other half rough-hewn cedar. Very wooded, with lots of natural garden area. Established neighborhood. Mine is valued at around $215K about a year ago.

Lot's of nice houses in the price range you are stating. Not that mine is for sale, but with your two boys, I'm guessing that what I have is right up your alley. Creek in the back of the property, house on a hilltop (know way my house would ever have water in it), and plenty of romping around room. Family that used to own it, raised three boys here.

Tex

Chris,

Take a look at the link below. This is an area that has grown tredmendously the past 3-4 years, and is VERY WELL PLANNED. School nearby, new YMCA just opened, very nice neighborhood, this is where I pick up the bus, all in all very, very nice.

Lot's of housing options.

Tex
http://www.villageofbaxter.com/

Tex,

I just took a quick look, WOW, it almost looks like a movie set! Pretty cool, very "Town" or small city to it, unlike the look of NJ.

Thanks, I will show the wife.

Chris,

We've watched it grow over the last 4-5 years. It is really a very nice neighborhood and area. In many areas, the center of the 'block of homes' actually has a small park area. Lot's of walking trails being developed, and with the opening of the Y (very, very nice), it is really nice. Quite a bit of shopping/services have moved in rather closeby.

Tex

Latest posts

Back