Mercury Trim Relays

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Eric Shelton

Reaction score
Ok guys so my trim has started acting up the week of my first club tourny.When I press any trim switch on the boat the relays on the back of the motor (1999 Mercury 150 XR6) just click. Sometimes the "up" works and sometimes the "down" works. I'm assuming the relays need to be replaced. Heres the problem though, the realys are made by Brumfield and ........ I can't remember the rest. They have a part # of VF4A-35F11-Z07. Now all I can find the the web are OEM Mercury relays. They look identical to what I have but I am not sure if they will work. Help!

Sounds like the motor. If it were the relays they wouldn't "click".....

Well as of right now it will only trim up. I fished 8+ hrs last weekend with no problems at all. When I got home Monday from work it looked as if the motor had trimmed itself up while noone was home. When I tried to trim it back down it wouldn't work....

yes if it trims on its own its probably relays.

make sure you by a pair of them! If you have one that still works, throw it in your onboard tool kit. You may need it to get her back on the trailer someday

I read on an older post that you can unplug the trim motor and touch the wires to a hot battery to see if it still works, is this true?

If you have the two-wire system, you can BRIEFLY {but NOT recommended}, touch each one to pos / neg. Motor will run one way. Swap the leads, it will run the other direction. Be careful, sparks, risk of damage to persons, property, burn.....oh boy...they call me Sokolov here at work....JUST BE CAREFUL. :blink:

Well with that being said, mine is the 2 wire motor and I got no response when touching the wires to a hot battery, except sparks of course! Thanks guys for all the info.;)

Turns out all I needed was 2 new trim relays! Thanks again for the info guys.

Turns out all I needed was 2 new trim relays! Thanks again for the info guys.
I've got the same problem now. no up or down just clicking. Bought 2 relays at autoZone with the same value. Will install them Fri. Had the same problem once before and the new relays fixed the problem.

Latest posts

Back