Mercury Extended Warranties

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scott Smith

Reaction score
I purchased a Crestliner pontoon last spring with a Mercury 50HP 2-stroke motor. I passed on the extended warranty plan at the time of purchase to keep the price down on the boat package. Today I just recieved my final notice from Mercury offering me the extended service plan on the motor. 1 year $252, 2 year $430, 3 year $546, 4 year $661, 5 year $777.

I'm not one to usually purchase extended warranties, most of the time I think they are just another way for the company to get more of your money. I did not purchase the plan with my 150 XR6 and have never had a single problem in 3 years (knock on wood).

We keep the pontoon at our cottage, and obviously just use it for cruisin around, pullin my kids tubing and occasionally trolling. I'm extremely anal about my motors and am contantly performing preventive maintenance.

So what do you guys think, should I continue my extended warranty boycott..? Or should I consider one of these extended warranty packages..?

By the way, on my next rig, when I do finally splurge for an Optimax, I will definately be getting the extended coverage...for the sole reason that it's not as backyard mechanic friendly as my carburated motors.

I passed on the extended warranty, I thought it was a bit much for the coverage. I also will not be putting on lots of hours on my 60hp. I will be maintaining it with the oft noted impeller change yearly/bi-yearly.

I have never bought an extended warranty on anything.

I have never regretted it.

I'm NOT suggesting anything to persuade you one way or the other but,...."HEY IT'S A MERC"! Now GO FISH!

TEE

Latest posts

Back