Map cards for HDS

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Eric Herbert

Reaction score
Ok need some help. I have a new hds 10 withstructure scan. It came preloaded with usa insight. I went to fishing hot spots site, and it appears the insight is comparable to their chip????? Do i need a chip!??? If so what do you recommend? And why??? Thank you.

Totally depends on how much more detail you want on the lakes you fish. Go to the lake and see the detail the base map gives you. Then go to the website for whatever chip you are looking at and see if it offers more detail.

Hot spots and insight from what I read are all 2D maps??? Is it really worth the 200.00$ plus for a 3D map, I have never seen nor used 3d!

It's all personal opinion. If you just want opinions, I'll tell you mine. No, I do not think the 3D mapping is worth the extra money. I don't even care for the way it looks most of the time. But that is just my opinion. Most people (that I know) think it "looks really cool", and then end up running around with the 2D maps most of the time.

Different cards will give you different coverage and features. My favorite aftermarket cards have been the Navionics HotMaps Premium (not Platinum). It's $50 cheaper ($149), and it gives me a lot of really good coverage, contours, features, etc...

However, I will say that Lowrance's mapping is getting even better all the time, and there are many times where I find myself sticking with Lowrance's Insight mapping over the aftermarket cards. With the advent of Insight Genesis Custom Maps, it's likely going to just keep getting better.

All the best,
Glenn

Glen, Thanks for the info. I have structure scan and down scan, with 2d overlay Im sure I will be fine and have another $50 for boat gas lol

Latest posts

Back