Making use of empty tach opening for a smaller gauge to fit

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AirForce

Reaction score
Now this water pressure gauge install its kinda normal for the most part but here's the thing. Lets say you had removed a speedo which is as large as a tach. That was my problem - had removed the analog tach for a mercmonitor and why use a common speedo that's not very accurate for the most part as I rely on the GPS for speed readouts. At low speeds, that speedo is worthless until you get anywhere over 10mph. Lot of toons can't go more than 15 and if you're trolling for crappie, you kinda need to know if you're going 3 to 5mph (same for bass - depending on how finicky they are).

So now I'm looking for something that will plug up a large hole in the dash. I finally came across the perfect gauge cover plug that SNAPS in place. I then drilled it out to the smaller 2.25in gauge size and installed my gauge. MOST of the gauge covers I found, had some kind of object that fastens to the console dash and you couldn't cut an opening into it without coming up with some kind of alternate bracket assembly.

This guy on ebay has the perfect guage snap in covers for a standard tach/speedo opening. I also added a solution for winter freezes to prevent the gauge from freezing water during those cold months. By removing the cup holder, I just reach in, remove the tip, drain the water and reconnect ready for the next fishing season. If you forget - YOU will be reminded when it PEES on you
smiley36.gif

So you guys remembered this hole

Trackerwpinstall001.jpg%7Eoriginal

So I ran my line from the motor (top middle portion of pic)

Trackerwpinstall009.jpg%7Eoriginal

ran it same way I did the mercmonitor cable on the starboard side and brought it out of the cupholder on the console. There I added my 3 way T, line in, line out and drain cap. Then secured the connections with cable ties.

Trackerwpinstall005.jpg%7Eoriginal

Ok, so now onto the snap in cover I was talking about. I was able to hold it with my hand on the shop table and drill it out for the guage.
Side view of gauge and plug cover. Note the tabs

Trackerwpinstall003.jpg%7Eoriginal

Back view

Trackerwpinstall004.jpg%7Eoriginal

front view

Trackerwpinstall002.jpg%7Eoriginal

and now the installed view, it was a hard press fit snap, but its not gonna rotate - its there.

Trackerwpinstall006.jpg%7Eoriginal

Reactions: cq
Thanks for the tip on where to get a snap in cover, had to cut a piece of plywood when I first took it out. Looks like dodo right now. Will order me one now.
Thanks,
Brantley

Latest posts

Back