Lure Collector or ......

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gary Hunter

Reaction score
It's winter so I'm just thinking about my last trip to the lake. Not too long ago, November 22 I think. I love my lures, I really do. All of 'em ... crankbaits, spinnerbaits, jigs, worms. I've got 10 fishing bags full. But on 11/22 I decided to sacrifice a crankbait. A really nice expensive crankbait. I'd fished this creek channel bend for 12 years and never caught nothin ... but I just knew something had to be there. It looked like a good sharp turn in 14 feet of water. I tied on a $OMG$ crankbait, cast it out across the channel bend and cranked it down as hard as I could, knowing I'd get hung up. Right at the bottom of the retrieve I thought I DID get hung up. Turned out to be a 8.5 miss piggy. I'll never forget it. But I'm damn sure going to pay for her - big time = if I keep throwing that lure.

You can't ever be afraid to throw a lure because of how much you paid for it. Defeats the purpose. That being said, if you fish areas with toothy critters then you might just be wasting $$ by throwing the big dollar lures. Heck, most of the hardbaits today are all big $$:lol: But as you found out, sometimes the juice is worth the squeeze.

I can't bring myself to buy a lure that is so expensive. Got a guide here at Lake Anna who is hawking Boing lures. They look great but at $20 a pop I can't say they are worth it when my Zara spooks work just as well. Course the Senko is expensive and I use them almost exclusively. In the 4 inch, June Bug color (hint, hint Tox). I did buy an Alabana rig but have yet to try it.

What is the most expensive lure you have bought????

I mostly fish for musky and my lures average $15-$20 per lure. Get yourself a good lure retriever and fire away!

There's one guy I see at the musky shows that hand carves lures in the 24" - 36" range. They run around $200 per and guys troll with them on the great lakes.

My my Doug, you and I need to talk.....:lol: I am pro-staff for Yamamoto and also write for their website. I have always considered Senko fishing a finesse style and I don't throw them on baitcasters unless weighted (it took my 2 years tournament fishing in Florida to even consider throwing one weighted). I would encourage everyone who is interested in Yamamoto products to register for their inside line ezine, I guarantee no spam and good articles. I just wrote another article for them and have 3 more to do. One being after Carlos and I go hunting some big cats this weekend!!

Dang Bill is it that time already?:lol:
http://www.insideline.net/

Not sure how this thread got co-opted into a Senko commercial, I just wanted to post my one day - one time experience with a Vagabond crankbait.

It's all good my brothers.

Gary - Sorry about the hijack. Tox - Yes - that time of year again! My favorites and any new stuff you want me to try.

Thanks.

He got 5 posts before I hijacked it:D...Just how much limelight can you bask in, I did him a favor. Doug, go the articles page on the Yamamoto site and search my name. I have an article on why to use a spinning rod.

Interesting Tox I have always used a baitcaster with no weight I fell I can feel the Senko better than I can with a spinning outfit.Will read your article.:wacko:

You ruin the action on a senko throwing it on a baitcaster. In order for it to "free fall" which is when most of your bites come, you would have to feed line by hand. On a spinning rod it comes off the spool naturally. You are missing a lot of bites and run the risk of gut hooking a lot of fish. If you want more info, start a new thread so Gary doesn't have a meltdown. :lol:

Latest posts

Back