looking to buy a new to me Nitro

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Terry Caldwell

Reaction score
I need to upgrade to a larger boat. I have been looking at used Nitro's I have a 180FS now that has been a very good boat so I am looking to get another Nitro. I tourney fish, usually with a partner & and I have 2 150lb plus teenage son's that always want to go as well So i need a boat large enough.. The 3 I am looking at now are:

2001 901-200 hp mercury optimax, less than 40 hrs. Very clean - $18,000

2008 Nitro Z9 CDC w/225hp Merc - $26995

2010 Nitro Z8 225 Pro XS - $27,000

I don't want to spend 40K on a new boat, but I don't want to spend 20K on the wrong boat. Any insight you can provide on the above listed boats or if you feel I should be looking for something different please advice. I keep boats, car, trucks ect.. for many years so I need a boat that will last. I am not the type that buys something new every couple of years.

Z8 between those 3. 901 is very finicky about weight and setup plus it's too much $$ for its age. Z9 is heavier than the 8 with the same size motor.

Thanks TOXIC I told the guy the same thing that he was high for the 901. The boat is like new so he is not willing to budge. I hope to take the Z8 out this weekend.

I would actually choose the Z9 I think and maybe get them down a little. Seems like a good price on the Z8. The Z9 is far superior when it comes to storage the comfort for the tourney angler. and they are huge. The Z8 is sweet is well and you can't go wrong with either, but I like how the Z9 is setup better than the Z8.

I had a 901 and it was an AWESOME fishing boat. big, tons of storage etc. but Tox said right. It is a pain to setup for performance. It is also way too high priced.

I just bought a 2007 901 cdx with a 200opti, with 99 hours for not much more than 18k. I love the boat, not sure what everyones complaints are on take off and power, I have a tempest 3 blade 25p and I tourney fish, so its loaded!! Its fast 73mph on my hds5!!! 18k is way too high for a 2000!!!!! but I went from a 2001 ranger R93 to this nitro and love the nitro way more than my ranger.

What do you guys think is a fair price for the 901 with less than 40 hrs? I'm leaning towards the Z8 but if the price were right it could save at least 10K to go with the 901.

Personal preference would be to go with the Z8. The 20'1" platform is plenty big enough for 3 on the front deck. The rear deck is also expansive.

The 225 will push nicely, you will not be disappointed!

the 901 was a great hull and I always wanted to upgrade from my 882 to the 901. But, at 10 yrs older than the Z8 its resale will be pour at best in a few yrs.

good Luck

GregD

Latest posts

Back