Looking for a charter

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eric nichols

Reaction score
Heading back to Port Clinton, Ohio for walleye in early April to early May. Any suggestions on a charter? Taking 2 11yr olds with experience. The last outfit we used didnt seem too kid friendly.

Thanks,

Eric

Let me check for you through my local contacts there... Any specific needs? Walleyes, smallies or both?

Being a guide I have to ask.....First you say "Taking 2 11yr olds with experience." Then you back it up with "The last outfit we used didn't seem too kid friendly." Which is it? Are they kids or are they experienced? You can't have it both ways.

You have to be upfront with the guide and let them know what you want and expect because to me experienced doesn't mean kid friendly, it means fishermen. I have seen 11 year old's that will stand with me on the front deck and cast all day and I've seen them get bored after a half hour. Just some friendly advice.;)

TOXIC

Hold up, let me be more clear, Toxic. To put it simply, the guide was an ass. Cussing, flicking cigarette butts in the water, bad-mouthing other guides when they passed by...all around un-professional. Thats what I meant by kid friendly. This guy was a so-called professional, I wouldnt want my kids around him. The 2 boys going have been on the water since age 6. They are the type who stand up and cast all day, rarely even speaking. But I gotta ask....why cant it be both ways? I read alot of posts and see alot of pictures of young Eli holding up some very impressive fish, he appears to be a very experienced angler. Heck, I even saw a letter and photo of him in a national magazine. But at the end of the day, he is still a kid. I hope that clears up where I was coming from, I meant no harm.

Eric

@Eric

Call Turtle Creek Marina and ask them. We had our charter out of the area during the May Fly hatch. Our charter Captian ran past West Sister to the shipping channels. Watch the weather, the lake can turn from 2-3 foot waves to 6-10 in a heart beat.

cq

Bad behavior is not what I meant and your last outing was a terrible experience for all not just the kids. No guide should act like that anytime. Just to be clear, I would consider Eli a fisherman and that is due to Trep's many trips to the lake with him. He fishes tournaments with Trep as well. Most and I say most of the 11 year olds I take out are not prepared for a day on the water and about 50% of the time, the trips are ended early. There are many reasons for that and most of the time it is because they are not ready to spend a full day fishing. I specialize in family trips and take all levels. I've had 4 year old's and up. I wasn't being critical of you. I was just pointing out that if you booked a trip with me, I would ask a certain set of questions as soon as you told me the ages of your kids. That would help me plan the day, bring the right supplies and make sure I had gear on board commensurate with their experience. You have every right to ask the guide not to smoke and clean up his language after all, you are paying him for the day. None of the guides I know would ever dream of acting like that anyway, let alone with kids on-board.

TOXIC

Well put. I think we may have got off on the wrong foot for a minute, but all is good. And, for the record....to the smokers, smoking wasnt the issue, many of my friends smoke.

The issue was, if the water is where you make your living, why pollute it? Use an ashtray or a cup of water for goodness sake.

Happy Holidays,

Eric

Eric

Send e-mail after New Years and I will contact my retired charter Captain and see if he has any contacts.

cq

Eric,

I am going to forward your email to Julia Davis, a good friend of mine. She is now retired from the FLW Walleye Tour pursuing other things in the fishing world. But, she lives in Port Clinton and is affiliated with a resort there. She will definitely get you any information that you need. Good luck. m,If I can do anything else, let me know.:D

Thanks for all the info Greg, Toxic, and cq.....have a great Christmas and New Year.

Eric

Latest posts

Back