Looking At Buying A 1989 Nitro - Any Advice?

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

daylorb

Reaction score
Hello, I'm a long-time ski-boat owner looking at getting more serious about fishing. I've found a 1989 Nitro and wanted to see what folks thought about it. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated!

http://austin.craigslist.org/boa/4651185463.html

Really like the boat as I like the side-benches for kids to sit on while under-way. Seems like it has a reasonably deep enough hull for moderate chop as well as good spots for fishing.

Good price? Reliable? Anything I should watch out for? Thanks a lot!

I think its priced too high for a 25yr old boat. He'd have to show me LOTS of maintenance records and a recent report of compression numbers done by a shop. Even though I wouldn't offer more than 5 grand and that's if EVERYTHING was in good shape. When I see a drill/driver laying in a boat when pictures are taken, to me that's a red flag. Transom and motor to me would be the 2 most important areas to check. Parts for older Mercury's are hard to get and some are obsolete now.

I think its priced too high for a 25yr old boat. He'd have to show me LOTS of maintenance records and a recent report of compression numbers done by a shop. Even though I wouldn't offer more than 5 grand and that's if EVERYTHING was in good shape. When I see a drill/driver laying in a boat when pictures are taken, to me that's a red flag. Transom and motor to me would be the 2 most important areas to check. Parts for older Mercury's are hard to get and some are obsolete now.

Thank you very much - I hadn't figured the engine parts would be that tricky. I noticed that drill as well. I also have been doing research and I can't find a 1989 21' Nitro on Nada anywhere... nor a 88 or 90. Wonder what this really is.

When you go to look at it, get the HIN number off the starboard aft tag on the boat, last 2 digits will indicate what year it is. Get the SN off the motor and I can confirm the year on it too. Don Weed might be able to tell me too if its a original powerhead or a replacement (and when)

Also get the specific MODEL of that boat. I'm not finding a 21ft boat on that year, only one I found for 1989 Nitro is the Tournament Pro that comes with either a 150 or 185. Max HP rating is 185. There should be a info plate underneath/front of the side controls, take a picture of it (as well as writing down the details). HIN (just in case you didn't know what that is) is the Hull Identification Number. It tells who manufactured it, where it was manufactured as well as year.

Thanks for the advice - I think I am going to pass on the boat. I found the seller had listed it as a 2001 in another post.. which is strange... I've asked him the model number, he just keeps saying it is a 21 - that is it. No maintenance records on it at all... says he does a lot of the work/takes it to a friend which concerns me. Also keeps telling me if I don't come soon there is someone else buying it the next day/etc. That coupled with the Black Max engine deal makes me nervous.

It isn't rocket science to know the specific model - on a Nitro its right there on the decals (if they are still there). BUT, does look like he's redone the graphics as I don't remember a stock Nitro looking like that for decals. Yep, when they start saying somebody is coming tomorrow, I'd wait another month to see if its been re-listed then I'd be really skeptical of it.

Latest posts

Back