Logs

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Troy Murphy

Reaction score
Hey Guys,

I hit a log in my Tundra this weekend. It put a soft ball size dent on the keel. Almost as deep as it is wide. It is far enough up to be in the keel protecter (not good for logs, just sand).

Who would I take it to to fix it or would you just let it go? Does the factory have to fix it to keep the warranty? If so, how do I get in touch with them?

The log was vertical and submerged and I was running around 50 mph. I'm glad it wasn't worse.

Thanks for your input,

Troy:(

What do you mean "It is far enough up to be in the keel protecter (not good for logs, just sand)."

You mean the keel protector took the hit also? If so, and you bought a Keelshield you can get it replaced free of charge. I don't know about the other mfgr's. Try and get a pic posted of the damage so we can see it. As an aside, had a guy come up to me and tell me he hit a log at around 60mph (it was floating horizontal) in a glass boat, and although it pitched him about 10 feet in the air and ripped off his lower unit, his hull came out ok but it ripped the KeelShield. I thought that was a pretty amazing story but he had pictures!!

TOXIC

Totally unrelated ...

I printed a picture of your "catfish" and showed it to our son's dog, Nitschke. We're hoping it will stop him from challenging the neighbor's cats--:lol::lol:.

I have tried to upload a picture, I must be doing something wrong. I have tried from my docs and desktop.

You have to get it via your library here. Hit the "Browse" button in your library here and go to where you have it stored on your computer and it will download. Then you can upload it to the board.

TOXIC

I get a page not found error every time.

Toxic I sent you one picture via email.

Troy

Got it and replied...OK Tin guru's....how bad can you dent a tin rig at the waterline center and still run it. How do you repair it? Pull the deck and go at it from the inside or can it be pulled out and welded up?

Damage 001.JPG

TOXIC

Dang bro', that's look more like a Basketball size dent. As they say down south, "that's a good'un". Looks like the fix should be straightforward though, but I have a glass boat so my .02 ain't worth diddly:blink: Good luck.

Jim

I'm pretty sure the bottom is filled with foam. The dent is forward enough to run and not hurt performance on plane or even cruising. Pounding it from the inside may weaken the area, it may have to be taken care of from the bottom, I'd ask the dealer.

If, IF I HAD to fix it I would try to pull it from the outside. From the inside would be a horror I would think. There's loads of floatation you'd have to pull out and that's quite a job. I'd look up a good body man and see what he says. All the advice you can get can't hurt. Good Luck

Uncle Billy

OUCH!!!:blink::angry:...get it fixed,.......that just "decreased" your resale value by atleast $1500-2000, and it won't cost that much to get it fixed!! Your insurance should cover it for hitting a "underwater obstruction".

Uh...sorry to say that ain't gonna be cheap my friend.

Go ahead and get the work appraised and let us know;):huh:

This is what you pay insurance premiums for. Call 'em.

Call your insurance. It looks like a repairable location, however getting to it will be a PIA. Work with you dealer and get in writing that the repair will have no effect on your original owner's warranty. The Dent Wizard ain't rolling that one out. (Although they have done wonders with other aluminum boats with minor damage.) Have you noticed any handling issues or hole shot problems? Continued use with that damage could create even more issues. (i.e.: stringers, laterals, braces...) You really need a Marine Surveyor or at least a good factory authorized repair shop to check and true the spine/keel and make sure your problems aren't or will be more severe. Good luck!

Boy oh boy, I bet that made a heckuva lot of noise?

OUCH!! That could have turned out much worse. Boats are fixable..glad you came out ok!

I'd be interested on the outcome of this. I have a brand new Tundra.

fatrap

I have contacted my dealer and they are looking into an approved repair shop. So far they are saying it may have to go to Springfield.

As far as handling, it is OK. I used the boat for 4 more days before I took it out.

The impact was not that bad, I was surprised to see the damage.

I fish alot, and use my Tundra for Island trips of the coast. The repairs may have to wait till early winter.

I'll keep the site posted on my progress.

Thanks,

Troy

Early winter?? It's still winter here....just last week some tard was driving on Champlain with his SUV and broke through the ice about 50yds from shore. Rescue people and firemen had to safe his dumb arse!!

Bob G.

Troy

How does the Tundra's trailer handle saltwater? I talked to a Tracker salesman last night while working at Bass Pro. He didn't know much about the repair side. Hopefully I'll talk to our service manager tomorrow night. I'm curious to see how they would handle it.

fatrap

Fatrap,

Thanks for any help you can give. My dealer acts like no body has ever brought in a damaged boat in before.

Gavashield is a gavanized trailer with a powder coat on top. But I put in at my camp on the river about 12 miles inland. I run in a lot of salt water and the only problem I've had is the base of the seat poles have no anode protection. I found some small bolt on types to help with that.

I will say this, the ride is better than my buddies 22 LTS triton bay boat.

Troy - Have your dealer contact Dave Yeager in Savannah. He had been in charge of Tracker's aluminum repairs in our area. (SE U.S.) If he could see some jpegs of it, you may have some experienced perspective to consult with. Dave has done some fantastic work to hulls I would have just replaced, if it were up to me. Other than Dave, the Tracker plant will probably be the facility recomended for a warranteed repair. That will take more time and require stripping the hull before it even gets there. For ease and speed of repair, have someone at the dealership hunt down Dave Yeager in Savannah and give him a try. I can't remember the company name that Dave has, but I'm sure the dealer will have it for aluminum issues. Good luck.

Troy

I checked with our Tracker Service Manager last night. He said you must have really hit something hard to do that. But anyway he said the best bet would be the Tracker Factory. They have all the specs to get it back 100 percent. Unfortunately it could be a while. Leaving it as is could worsen the damage and give Tracker an "out" for repairing it.

Good luck

fatrap

Latest posts

Back