Locktite or what?

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brantley moats

Reaction score
Does anyone know what the professional mechanics use to help a sheetmetal type screw stay in place when screwed directly into fiberglass boats? Were there any old tricks before the invention of locktite?

Brantley

There's sooo many different types of Loctite but, I'd go with one that is semi-permanent in case you wanted to remove it.

We always had a good supply in our machine shop;)

3M 4200. Holds very well and is removable. 3M 5200 if you don't plan on removing it.

The 5200 can be removed with relative ease. It's not as permanent as you'd think. Where it is a bear is large flat surfaces, and the mating surfaces are glossy.... like gel-coat. They also make a product that is a "release agent" for those difficult to remove problems. Haven't had any issues with nuts / bolts / screws less than 1/2".....;)

I will second what Bob B said about 5200. I have used 5200 on the rubrail screws on my boat as his suggestion and i never have the screws work loose. Any accessories i have installed i also use a dab of 5200 to keep the screws in and dont have any problems with them working loose and i have indeed been able to remove them when i needed to.

Latest posts

Back