Loading boat on trailer

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blair Allen

Reaction score
Looking for opinions on how far the boat should be loaded onto the trailer. I generally winch the boat until the bow eye is against the bow stop on the trailer. Lately it seems that I see more and more boats with a good bit of space between the eye and bow stop.

How close do you guys get the two?

My PT175 goes all the way so that bow eye rests touching front roller... Then secondary restraint strap gets connected to hook on trailer...

Tight Lines,

Bill

I switched to a yellow poly roller on my 750 and now my eye is pretty close to that roller with a better fit. With the rubber roller it compressed loading one time and put a small nick from the mount it was held by.

I agree with Bill. Go all the way up until the bow eye touches the front roller. Even more important than that (and that is important), is that the boat is resting fully on the bunks at the rear, with at least a couple of inches of bunk protruding from the rear. If you allow your boat to "hang" on your bunks in the back, you can have a "hook" form in your boat hull (fiberglass sag from the pressure of hanging off the bunk not supported). I havn't heard of the problem occuring with aluminum boats, but I'm sure it could cause denting in the rear, which would have the same effect - poor boat performance, more than likely porpoising at lower speeds.

By the way, for those who know me.... still not out to sea... but stuck on the ship in port.... we're not going anywhere, but we are "playing underway" for a week.... and since I still have internet access.... I'll be posting during my non-duty hours.

All the best,

cajunram1

Agree with above. Put one of the yellow poly rollers myself last year. I buck it up against it, and cinch it down tight.

Tex

Same as above... yellow roller, close as I can get it!

cajunram1,

Sounds like the old "Fast Cruise"...for a week!? Take care!

Waterwings

DCCM(SW)(Ret)

What are you just hanging in a slip... getting ready to go nowhere???

I read your post on another topic... thanks for the words to Mark... I think!! KB

Agree with everyone else - I powerload up to the bowstop, hook up the bow strap clip and crank her down snug.

Hey for those who went to the yeller roller, how long did your black one last or should I just replace it with a yeller one now?

Keep her cranked snug when loading/trailering, but when storing for prolonged periods I suggest looser bow and transom ties, reducing stress on numerous points. (trailer and boat)

Added text: Just don't forget to snug all points before hitting the highway again or you just might...hit the highway!! LOL!

Trep,

I just went to put the boat in the water one day and the original black rubber one wasn't there anymore so I replaced it with the highspeed yellow one. Now most folks can't tell if I'm trailering a PT-185 or a Gambler. ;>) I guess the original black one lasted about 3 years.

Harpo

KB - yep, just hanging in a "slip".... a BIG slip (Aircraft Carrier).... waiting to go make big circles in the ocean for a few days. Words to Mark mentioned your professionalism and personability - both great. No bad words at all!

Thanks Glenn!

I need Tom's mailing addy

He gave me a dollar at the store before i got a chance to get to the ATM and i want to send him one back. Just something i have to do... can you help?? KB

Michael,

It's called "the ultimate bow stop" and I had it on my last boat and it was great. I'm getting it to replace the black one I have now.

Bill

Bill - Made by Stoltz, right? Nice bow stop... well worth the money invested.

cajunram1

OK so other then color and maybe last longer, whats the difference between the black and the yeller ones?

The major thing for me was I hit my black rubber one a little hard in rough conditions and it compressed too far and the fiberglass contacted the mounting bracket causing a small scrape. Some of out ramp angles around here are a little off causing some contact with tip end before riding up to the eye of boat at times. Haven't been an issue since the new roller.

The black rollers can leave a tough smear on the hull, where the yellow ones rarely will. (Unless you really smack it.) The oversized Stoltz roller has a wider profile that tapers at the end lending a little more cushion to the power loading. The wideness is a bit more forgiving while loading, especially in the wind, and also provides a larger target for centering. It's one of the first things I replace on all my boat trailers. (Bow roller.)

The black ones are rubber, and will deteriorate over time. UV destroys them and they dry out. I had two split in half on me at the seam... that's a fun one to find out when your trying to load a boat.

The yellow ones are a different kind of plastic, polysumthenorother, aren't prone to deterioration and hold their shape.

And they don't leave black marks.

Latest posts

Back