livewell pumps

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi, I am new to the group but so far impressed with the site. I have a 2004 Nitro 288 F&S which I bought last summer. I have everything working on the boat except one issue which seems fairly common - the livewell(s) coninuously draining. My livewells are filled by separate Johnson 500 gph pumps. These are the newer pumps with the replacement cartridge and operate fine as far as pumping water.

What I would like to know is, is there an internal drain valve on the pump or is this valve separate. If so, where are they? I don't see any valves described in other posts.

Thanks for any info.

Should be a switch beside the console or on the sidewall of the boat marked "Drain" on one setting and "Auto" on the other or some variation of that. Yours is on drain now, allows the water to flow out of the livewell. The Auto setting will hold the water and allow for recirculating.

I have an 06 288. There is no "drain" switch on these boats. There should be just a normal drain at the bottom of each livewell that needs to be plugged with either a brass/rubber plug or an overflow tube. I dont put a plug in mine at all. I just leave switch on auto. This will pump water in at 3 minute intervals, which for me, seems to work excellently.

I looked at things more closely today with a better flashlight and answered my own question. Right now the way my system works is the livewells overflow out the top and into the boat when the pump is on continuous, and goes empty when put on the timer. I'll have to play with the timer next time I go out to see if I can find a happy medium.

I would like to hear Tracker's explanation (yeah I know money) as to why they didn't put valves in the drain lines. It would have cost at most $100 on a #30,000 boat. Plus the livewells need a proper overflow - but that would be another $25.

Enough complaining - my family and I really like the boat.

I did some more internetting and have things figure out. A standpipe goes into the livewell drain. I have one that I know of in the boat - I just didn't know what it was for. Glad I didn't throw it out. I found them available on the Great Lakes Skipper website. Problem solved.

I take back the criticism of this livewell system. It is simple and works - usually the best way to do things.

Latest posts

Back