livewell pumps

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Richard McClure

Reaction score
Does anyone know how to replace live well punp on 2005 nitro I have water coming in from one of the pumps,someone said that one of them probably froze is this a major job or can I replace it myself. I would really appreciate any advice.

Thanks Rich

Your info is quite vague for the question asked. It's on par with, "How do I replace the A/C compressor on a 2005 GMC truck?" A little more detail (here or your profile) and I'm sure we'll figure it out. Good luck! ;)

The livewell pump should not be difficult to replace. I say should not, only because access to it may be restricted. You sometimes need to work in a tight space with tools and flashlight while reaching down to arms length in the bilge area.

Nitro likely used a Rule pump in your boat. Be sure to check and see if it is a straight or angled type.

http://www.basspro.com/Rule

I am currently working in the bilge area of my 2004 Nitro 901. My boat was taking on water. After a full day fishing (not in the rain) when I would unscrew the drain plug, my boat would drain water for 20 minutes. It was taking on so much water that the water was getting into some of my compartments in the front of the boat. I had to remove starter battery and the bilge hatch (which only 4 of the 6 screws came out, the other two had to be pried out) then I could see the 3 pumps. The problem I had was that my on/off valves were cracked (these are the ones controlled from the drivers seat on the right). These little plastic critters cost a mere $60.00 a piece. One of my stainless steel clamps would not unscrew so I had to use a dremel to cut it in half. When I was "gently" pulling my hose off one of the pumps the ribbed outlet broke. When I removed by bilge pump from the base the clips on the base broke. Here is all I am saying, the work will be somewhat time consuming, because you have to basically stand on your head, other unrelated things may break while trying to repair your problem. I ended up buying new hose, new bilge pump, new clamps, new valves, silicone, wire connectors and received a stiff neck that lasted for a week. I guess they use plastic to keep weight and cost down? Good luck!

Kevin

Job difficult? No. Keep in mind that in '05 Nitro had livewell configurations in 9 series (Guardians), NX (bow and mid split), LX (mid split), FS (bow mount), etc...(not even mentioning the bay boats) all with different configurations and locations. Swapping pumps and/or hoses, fittings etc. can be narrowed down by type and location with a bit more basic info. Good luck! ;)

I too just replaced my livewell pump not more than a week ago. It really was not time consuming. Took me less than an hour to do it. Yes, other things having to do with the entire system can be bad and need attention. That can add additional time, hardships and cost if it's the case. However, even though mine is 10 years old I checked everything thoroughly and found it to be in good working order. The only reason I had to change the pump was, when I was installing a circuit breaker in my trolling motor wire (to replace glass inline fuse), I moved the livwell pump hose accidently and broke it off at the pump.

At my age (57) and with a bad back, I was still able to get to it all with some contorting and discomfort. My biggest aggravation was that I caused the damage in the first place and $54.00 for the new pump.

Thanks for the info, my boat is a nx882 I think the livewell pump froze and cracked when I pump water into the livewell I think its pumping into the hull also.when I pull the drain plug it is draining alot of water.Has anyone heard that some of the water stays in these pumps and does not drain and freezes in cold weather. But anyway I was wanting to know if it is a hard job getting to these pumps Thanks very much Rich

On a 882 you'll need to remove your batteries and remote oil fill reservoir to access the bilge where you intake/pump-out pump(s) is (are) located. From there it's just a swap of components, although at a slightly uncomfortable position. I'd recommend that you check with a garden hose first before replacing while exposed for a visual confirmation that the pump is bad/leaking. The livewell rigging can become compromised also, particularly after years of use and heavy waves with full wells pulling down and cracking parts, hoses, and fittings. Good luck! ;)

Do yourself a favor and get a cartridge type. If the pump ever gets clogged with a pebble or anything...it twists and snaps in place. I've cleaned mine out a couple of times since I installed it and saved me a TON of time and headache:angry:

Do yourself a favor and get a cartridge type. If the pump ever gets clogged with a pebble or anything...it twists and snaps in place. I've cleaned mine out a couple of times since I installed it and saved me a TON of time and headache:angry:
Tommy, can you add a link to the cartridge type?

Latest posts

Back