Lightest, smallest, easiest spin cast reel?

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rich Stern

Reaction score
No, my fishing skills aren't regressing that badly.

I made a short rod for my five year old, Zachary, from the handle and upper three feet of a broken baitcasting rod. I've tried a couple of Zebco spincast reels on it, but they are too big and bulky for him. I'm looking for a light, small, spincast reel that has a drag (Snoopy Zebcos and the like don't have a drag mechanism), and is made well enough to last a while.

Anybody know of such a reel?

I got to remember to check the name before I hit reply. Now that my wife is "Checking up on US"....LOL

John

Rich -

I once tried a friend's Daiwa Underspin while trout fishing and kinda liked it. I think it was a US40X that sells for about 13 bux in the old, 2000 BPS catalog I just grabbed.

A reel that is slung under the rod would be easier for Zachery to balance.

me!

P.S. It makes this old man feel mighty good every time I hear of a parent taking their kids fishin'!

I'm with Stacey on this one, the Shakespere MicroSpin is a very good real. My wife and I use them for Crappie and Bluegill whenever I can pull myself away from a bass tournament. The MicroSpin is much better in my experience than the Zebco/Quantum micro reels, the line pick up works better even when the line starts to get a memory. Go with the Shakespere, I think you will be happiest.

Shakespeare Micros are a good choice and faily dependable. According to your son's hand size, the Daiwa Goldcast 80 is another great spincast reel to consider. It is the best built I've seen or used. I've had a couple on hand and in use guiding for four plus years and you'd think they're brand new! Dual ball bearing pick up pins, multi-ball bearing drive, all stainless guts, built like a watch. The down side is about $50 retail price tag. Shakespeare also combos their Micro with an Ugly Stik rod. It's a great size for 4-10 year olds for about $30. It's like buying an Ugly Stik and getting the reel for free. Would make a great ultra-lite or trout rod, too. Good luck and keep him fishing!

Rich - I don't understand why the Snoopy rigs don't have drag. Noah gave his actual snoopy rig to Eli and now has a Mickey Mouse rig (the reel actualy looks like a boat with Mickey in it and has a drag). Will try to get a picture up. My biggest concern w/no drag is I could see a little one with a bobber/worm-cricket while standing on shore/boat and a 8lb Large Mouth take the rig and the kids for a swim!

Noah's b-day is comming up (he'll be 5) and i'll take a look at the spincast's everyone mentions too!

Zebco makes an ultra light version, simialar to the "33" and it's a real reel. It has a decent drag, and is made of stainless steel,(or aluminum) so it will handle being dropped on the ground etc: I think they're about $20.00 If I remember correctly, you can switch the handle from right to left.

Latest posts

Back