Life Jacket Laws....

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TOMMY RICH

Reaction score

Life Jacket Laws

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thought this information might keep someone from getting a ticket. Me and a couple of friends went to Green River Lake fishing on Saturaday and was checked by the KDFW. We always where our life jackets while running from place to place and then take them off while we are fishing. We were checked while fishing. They checked license, livewells, fire extingisher, throw cushion, horn, and ect. Then they counted the life jackets out and noticed we had three but asked if we had any more on board the boat, we did in one of the compartments.They asked to see it, it was the standard type I. I have an inflatable type life jacket and they noticed I wasnt wearing it. They said to be legal you must have the inflatable type on at all times while on the water unless you have another one of the standard type I ,II, or III on board. If all three of us had the inflatable types and didnt have them on then we would have to of had 3 of the type I, II, or III on board to be legal. After looking closer at my inflatable it says it must be worn to be legal on the tag. Just thought this might help I didnt know this and have been boating for 35 years. I have only had my inflatable for about 3 years. I assume this will be the law in all states because it is a coast guard approved jacket.

Got this post from another site....

Seems a little weird to me but, I don't own an inflatible.

Thoughts?

Thats the coast guard reg and has been for a long time. Weird or not thats the rule and as a boater people should be reading what the requirements are, ignorance of the law is no excuse if you get pulled over and get a ticket.

I have a friend that didnt believe me when i told him about how an inflatable is a type III only when worn. He insisted i was wrong and that the NH regulation book was also wrong that was until he got a ticket..... I guess he learned nothing when he took the state mandated boaters saftey class.

My Grandson and I always were inflatables, but I always have the regular vest type in the boat. I don't like to wear the inflatables in the rain, they don't blow up, but the bobbins get a little moisture or humitity and blow up later in the compartments. So I guess we would be ok if we got checked.

Tee thanks for the information. I recently got a boat and considered inflatables but wasn't quite sure what the rules were. Just to keep the initial budget down we opted to get the vests, but I intend to get the inflatable because those vests sure get hot. We've been on open water so we've kept them on at all times, but have in the past just worn them in transit. The habit would easily transfer over to inflatables so thanks for the info.

Yeppers -- same in Kansas. And Toto says the non-inflatables, if not on, can't be in a compartment somewhere. They must be within immediate reach. Of course, in my mind, it does no good just being within reach -- accidents don't always happen such that one has time to reach over and grab the flotation device.

It's that way in Texas too. To be counted, it has to be worn.

Something to think about though - I always carry a type 3 in my boat for every type 5 I own. This is my reasoning (beyond the law) -

If the type 5 has to be inflated for some reason, my choices are to either carry a rearming kit onboard and sit there and deflate / rearm it after I get out of the water, or simply deflate it and throw it in the compartment and remove the type 3 that I always have in there for the remainder of the day.

All the best,

Glenn

Glenn,

Thats why it is Federal Law....not a state issue. In the event that an early or accidental deploy you will either need a rearm kit or another life jacket. If you store a rearm kit on board, more than likely th e"pill" will as degraded as the one that accidentally set off.

Not necessarily so on the re-arm kit. Comes in plastic seal package which prevents it from gathering moisture.

Never seen hooks rust in a plastic sealed package? Heat/cool/humidity can do funny things in a sealed package....condensation can and will kill the pill in long term storage. Even in a zip lock baggie.

No I haven't if you must get into a dueling psoting ... ;). Ever tried to get into one of those packages? Even air can't get in without scissors ... :lol::lol::lol:

The real issue, even if your pill is dry, is that you either have to wait for your wet life jacket to completely dry, or stick a dry pill into a wet vest. Hmmmm.... Not good.... :lol:

Mine are hydrostatic. Less worry.

All the best,

Glenn

I asked why one time and the officer said throw it overboard and it will sink where the others will float. I watched a champion sinking on champlain was towing it in as the boat sank lower you heard boom as the latch on the compartments broke and the contents floated out. Don't know if it is the same on all boats but the latches are the same on most. Instead of towing him in took it straight to the closest shore. every compartment catch broke only the bow drivers side was above water when it touched the shore. :eek:

My point is they don't really even enforce wearing Type III (as long as it's close by)...so why enforce inflatible.

Kinda' crazy:wacko:

Tee,

Thats because there is no rule in the coast guard regs stating that you have to actually wear a type 3. It merely has to be on board, one for each person on the boat either type 1,2,3or 5. An inflatable has no type classification unless its worn hence why you have to have it on to count.

The bottom line is have 1 regular type 3 for each person and a throwable and you wont have any problems with a saftey check from a pfd standpoint.

Tee, any boat over 16' also needs a throwable to meed the USCG reg(most states also follow this). Get one of those along with your type 3's and you have nothing to worry about.

I was questioned about the throwable on my boat a month or so ago. I have it in the compartment behind the drivers seat with the strap up for easy reach. The DNR officer said it's supposed to be accessible, out where you can grab it if you need it.

As an electrical inspector I have to deal with "accessible" issues all the time. We have "accessible", and "readily accessible". The first means you can get to it, the second means you can get to it immeadiatly. They didn't seem intersted in the debate at all. LOL

Gene

I've not been checked since getting my inflatable, I will now since I am talking about it, but I've been checked on several occasions and SCDNR wants to see that I have a throwable and a vest for everyone in the boat. I would guess that lakes that have more accidents on them the closer they are going to put the letter of the law. By the way, I always have 2 extra type 3's in the boat.

Many, many, many years ago, I was stopped in North Carolina by a Game and Fish guy that was obviously having a bad day. I was pre-fishing for a Virginia Region 7 BASS tournament - alone. Nobody else around me that I could see. Not even another boat in sight beside the game warden.

Anyway... he comes in to my spot way too fast. I'm looking at him thinking "He ain't going to stop in time, and he's going to hit my boat". At the last minute, he shifts it into reverse and I hear this awful grinding sound coming from his gear case. He is getting on it hard, trying to stop in time. He totally prop-washes my fishing spot. His partner says something to him that I cannot hear, and he immediately looks pissed.

He starts off with "Fishing license and boat registration!" to me. No Hello. No "Can I please see your...." Just really rude and to the point. His partner has this look on his face like he and I were thinking the same thing (What a d**k!)

So we go through EVERYTHING. Life jackets, fire extinguisher, flares, license, registration, yada, yada, yada.... But then he finally finds something - My throwable is not "readily accessible" according to him. It was in my rear storage compartment, right on top. He tells me it has to be out in the open. I asked "why" (I couldn't stop myself - as the words came out of my mouth, I knew it was the wrong thing to say to this particular guy). He goes off about having it available should someone fall overboard. I looked around my boat sarcastically and inquired "And who onboard my boat will throw it to me when I fall off?" His partner actually started laughing. He got very pissed and started saying something about writing me a citation when his partner finally had enough, grabbed him by the arm, and said something to him that probably was close to "chill out - I got this". He walked to the back of his boat, very pissed. His partner smiled and said "Have a nice day Sir", and then turned the boat and drove it away.

Glad I didn't get cited, but MAN! Thankfully that guy had a partner that day! I wonder if he is still working for NC Game and Fish?

All the best,

Glenn

Some ARE dicks Glenn...had one that stopped me not once but, twice in a few hour period. When he approached me the second time..I looked right at him and ask,"don't you remember me from a while ago"? He just looked and said, "doesn't matter...I'm checking you anyway"! Whatever:unsure:

Dickhead:p

I think we have all run into those guys. I ran into a guy in mass that was doing lisc checks and he was on a PWC. He almost rammed my boat and was a total donkey to me and my friend for no reason.

I have also run into the other kind that are really nice. Just about every year i get stopped for a lisc check on Newfound lake in NH and the guy is really super nice. He always stays far away and asks for me to come to him so i dont wreck my fishing spot and we always have a nice chat. He knows me and my boat at this point but just about every time i see him not too far away write someone a ticket so he has to check me or they will complain.

My favorte one is the EPO that does saftey checks at my favorite lake in MA. He always just waves me on by while he has a line of pleasure boat folks he is going to check, he says he knows that the tournament guys always have what they need and its not worth wasting his time.

I was by myself too and I brought up the who will throw it to me question too. He said in case of a capsize, it will float up where you can get to it. Yeah, ok pardner. If I have it out where I can get to it, it will be secured somehow so I don't have to get it out and put it away every time I change fishing spots.

I haven't run into any "bad" officers but, I have friends who have.

Gene

I read this post last week and thought to myself, I haven't been checked on the water in quite a few years. I went fishing Friday afternoon on Champlain, stopped near an island and threw out a jig/grub. Four minutes later I see the F&W boat headed my way. I got my license out before he got there. He looked at it from his boat, made note of my life jacket on the drivers seat and said "have a nice day". Not sure if he didn't notice or didn't care that I had a Kimber 45ACP sticking out of an IWB holster. No permit is required here to carry open or concealed.

Not all of our law dogs are receptive to regular people carrying a handgun. I usually keep it covered, but sun was hot and no one was around....for a few minutes. I live in a county that is full of transplants from NY, NJ, Mass, Conn, RI....concealed is usually a better way to go anyways and not draw any attention.

understood,....around here our transplants are from Mexico,..Guatamala,..Cuba,...Middle East,..etc..and most of them are more than likely here illegally!!:angry:

We always KNOW where you guys are at anyway Tox,........if you're not belly up sawin' logs on the couch,..you're fishin' Mini's chit!! :lol:;)

I've been stopped many tims in VA & NC, and every time, my throwable has been in a compartment, and when asked I lift the lid and show them. Never had them say anything about it, but since so many have gotten tickets or warnings, I have started gettign it out and I keep it under the console on the floor, so it meets all their 'requirements'.

I've been "advised" by DNR to keep mine on deck but I have never been ticketed for it. Solution: Use some industrial Velcro and attach it to the inside of the drivers console if you are worried about getting cited.

TOXIC

TT,

You can stow it and be legal in the eyes of the USCG if you are wearing your life jacket. Once you are wearing it, you dont need a throwable for immediate use. At least thats how it was explained to me.

I think you are always going to have different levels of interpretation by both those that are 'enforcing' the law and those that are on the receiving end. That's just what happens.

The item above is a straight copy from the USCG site. For me, I take immediate to mean just what it says. Having said that, the last 3 times I was checked, I had it stowed in a comparment - not immediately available. However, I didn't get either a warning or ticket.

I (like many others) simply wear my inflatable all of the time I'm in the boat. Period. I do it for safety reasons and not because the USCG says that I should. I suspect that most Wardens/Officers will generally give you credit it you have the proper equipement - even if stowed.

Tex

Latest posts

Back