Leader Knots

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

THOMMO59

Reaction score
The subject has probably been covered a million times but interested to see what Knots people are using for their Leader to Braid connection. I used to use a Double Uni but since started using PE Braid, I find it cuts through the Flurocarbon leader in a flash.

Now I'm using an Improved Albright Knot with pretty good success but have had a couple slip undone.

Anyone got a secret handed down from a dozen generations they would like to talk about?

Se:wub:cret knot that is!

Uni/uni works for me. Five wraps on the mono/flouro side and eight wraps on the braid side, wet, cinch, trim tags tight and go. Only time I've ever had a problem was from my mis-stacking of the knot(s) when cinching tight. Fast and durable knot to leader connection.

I don't use leaders. I know many do but I don't want 2 more failure points between me and the fish. I have not seen a situation where straight braid won't work. If water clarity, etc., makes the need for clear line, I use mono. I just won't let Mac grab my fish!!:lol::lol:

TOXIC

Uni to uni and then fish glue (super glue)...

Tox, I take it you never throw a C-rig. It's the only rigging that I use a leader, braid for the main line and fluorocarbon for the leader.

I started tying a knot (palomar??) that is basically a "hang-man's" knot in the 60's, and I can count the times it has failed one one hand. If it ain't broke, I won't fix it!

Blue Gills and bream to Grouper

Up here in central/northern Canada, we fish a lot of northern pike which have a mouth full of line breaking teeth. Whether I'm using a leader (I make my own out of 30-50 lbs test flourocarbon) or not, I always use the Palomar Knot to tie anything to my braided line. Retains 100% of line strength and quick and easy to tie.

Sounds like I might give the Palomar a go, also thanks for the super glue tip, I have never tried that, sounds good. Thanks for the suggestions.

Alberto knot is the best I've found. I use braid on spinning gear and a leader. have used double uni, but I like alberto better, and its easier to tie.

Thance dchance, just had a look on youtube for the Alberto knot and thats what I call a modified Albright. Watching the video the critical part is the tag must go back the same way it entered. I have a sneaking suspicion I may have been coming back the opposite way.:wub:

yep same knot I think. it hasn't failed me yet. Uni to uni was good to me too, but the alberto is easier to tie especially after you practice it and get it down.

Triple surgeon.

Toxic, there are times where straight braid doesnt work and you cant get the bait down with mono or flouro....or you cant feel it.

Just checked out that knot on youtube Mini, wow, thats a quick simple knot, I'll give it a go and if it works, it will be known from this day forward as "The Mini Knot" at least in my family.

Tox,....if you'd set the hook like a MAN, you wouldn't have to worry who grabs the fish!!!:rolleyes::lol::unsure:

Ohhhhh that's a funny one Mac Daddy considering my 6lb (or more) brownfish didn't come unbuttoned!!:lol::lol: You know my hookset....1. Go on point 2. Wait for tug 3. ROCK THEIR WORLD!!:lol::lol: Line BREAKING around somebody's grubby mitts is a lot different than coming unbuttoned at the boat!! No worries mate....you get a chance to redeem yourself in a couple of months!!;) I've got the space cleared for that replica mount.

TOXIC

Tox,...this was 6lbs......caught it on the junk pile...Spro rattle bait...Cell mate!

REMEMBER??????:lol: This fish was PHAT,...I should've turned it sideways so you can see the width....

Bill6lbSMB.jpg

Yeah and if you remember, I gave all of you those Aruku Shads (first run of Cell Mate color) and kept 1 for myself which promptly got stolen by a Musky!!:lol: No good deed goes unpunished!! :lol:

TOXIC

Latest posts

Back