knots

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

T AMBURGEY

Reaction score
what knots do you guys prefer with florocarbon, always been a mono and braid guy, Ive started dropshoting and think it will help. And what brand

palomar knot, XPS mono and P-line fluroclear are my choices.

JS

I use Seaguar Invis-x (6 or 8lb., depending on clarity) using a cinch knot, wetted and tightened until snug. ;)

I did some "back yard testing" on the palomar on fluorocarbon and it did poorly for me. I use the "dbl cinch" I think it is called, haven't had any problems. BPS XPS 17# and 15# Seaguar.

the North American fishing site/ show did a whole bit called knot wars last year and has picked it up again this year, check the site to see the results. Palomar was hands down the best across all line types in the lab tests.

http://www.fishingclub.com/ExtraContent/ExtraContentDetail.aspx?id=132344

JS

Todd, i've always been a palomar guy and overall it is probably the best knot out there for most line, but not fluorocarbon. When using a palomar knot with fluorocarbon your only fishing 70 to 80% knot strength.I learned this from pro Aaron Martins, he told how many big tournaments he blowed by breaking off fluorocarbon with a palomar, especially drop shotting. Martins prefers the uni-not with fluorocarbon because your getting near 100% knot strength.You can perform this test yourself and it will prove true. Again i'll say the palomar may still be the best knot with other lines. ps: Berkley 100% fluorocarbon is one of the best going.Hope this helps, good luck

I am a trilene knot guy for everything EXCEPT braid and drop shotting. You MUST use a palomer knot (IMO) for those techniques.

If Aaron thinks that a palomer knot is only 70-80% then he isnt tying it correctly!

It is'nt just Aaron Martins saying this, its alot of other top pros as well. But I'm impressed that you think you can teach the pros such as Aaron Martins how to tie a knot, They only fish for a living 24-7. But Who knows, if you show up at the Classic they may let you teach a knot tying seminar!!:lol::lol:

Polamer knot works for me too...never lost a fish on a drop shot because of knot failure.

i use the palomar almost exclusively, double palomar for braid.

Steve,

You would be surprised at the knowledge level or competence of some of the "Pro's". I know quite a few of them and there are some that dont know squat about certain things. Others are very proficient on certain things but lack skills on others.

I am not elevating myself above them nor talking down about them. There is no doubt that Aaron Martens is a heck of a fisherman, but he isnt perfect. No one is.

Here is just one test result with the strongest fishing knots. The Palomar is listed second with a 91% knot strength.

http://www.fieldandstream.com/photos/gallery/fishing/bass/where-fish/2009/02/strongest-fishing-knots

mini speaks the truth. The main problem I've found and seen in a plethora of tests, is the cinching down of the Palomar knot. If the angler is conscious of the line stacking and does not allow the doubled stack to become any singles across each other, it holds well and is the easiest to tuck back through the hook eye for a perpendicular presentation with the hook and lure on a dropshot. As soon as that double lay changes and becomes two singles crossed, the flouro will cut through itself every time. (Very little stretch.) One last thing, as with most knots, it must be lubed at all times while tightened. With flouros particularly, there is very little stretch, so heat builds up and it burns rapidly, within a fraction of an inch under stress. (Tightening) A Palomar knot is my choice for just about everything except flouro and braid. I use a double or triple Palomar for braid and I use a clinch for drop shotting, as I use light line for this application and like the way the line weaves over the main line instead of the almost 90 deg. crossing that many knots do for their slip integrity. On mono or co-poly's that crossing is fine, but on the extruded flouros on the market with almost no stretch (slip), it's a heartbreak waiting to happen. ;)

I've been evaluating Seaguar Tatsu for a while now and that may be a game changer on many knots questioned for flouro. :cool:

You guys have to realize that the pros are not fishing for the fun of it, they're sometimes fishing for $100,000 or more per tournament, they can not take that chance of fluorocarbon cutting through itself, one break off can cost them the tournament, alot of money and hurt them bad in the angler of the year race. I think i would rather be safe as well even though im only fishing for a couple thousand per tournament. I'd rather be smiling than crying!!

Uuuhh Steve...Been there, done that for six seasons on the Bassmaster trail. (And I also know Aaron very well. :lol: ) Doesn't change the facts nor the properties inherent to the formulation of flourocarbon line. A Palomar is a great choice for speed and efficiency on most applications. You just have to take notice of the stacking (time) while wetting and cinching (more time) to prevent abrasion during the tie. If you swing and drop a palomar knot at a normal fast pace, even wetting it, you have a 50/50 shot at it not crossing as it stacks. That's a knot failure waiting to happen with the almost stretchless properties of flouro and the time it takes to redo, or worse break off a fish, is not worth it when you're fishing against the clock. Taking the time to ensure the stacking is about all it really takes to again make the palomar a very effective knot. The new Tatsu I've been testing may change all the above concerning specific knots used for flouro. ;)

I've attached a link from a company I've worked with that can answer many of your questions and give a whole lot more insight. Take some time and look around on the site and you'll see many answers to these questions posed:
http://seaguar.com/seaguar-community/knot-guide.htm

Dan, I'm glad for you, must be doing something right if your hanging in there after six years. So many guys tend to step into the professional ranks knowingly they were'nt ready and they loose everything, sounds like your pretty strong. Ive been tournament fishing for about 25 years and been pretty successful but have never made it to the pros, I really respect anyone that has made it. PS: thanks for the info, Hope to see you holding the Classic trophy someday.:cool:

Dan,

Thanks for that information. I have been uing the palomar knot for quite a while and I had noticed the layover or not...but I had dismissed it as acceptable!

I have not had a break off at the knot for a good while but, but I am also pretty anal that when I catch a good or few fish, I retie..Mike taught me that one. Cheap insurance..... But, I will notice and redo the knot when the layover is not correct!

tanks!

Carlos

Steve - Thanks for the kind words! No classic trophy in my future though unless my son is holding it. :rolleyes: I hung up my spurs and went into full retirement in 2005. The most I do now is chase after my little boys and fish entirely too much! (If that's possible! :lol: ) This site is full of kind and generous people, so don't be a stranger!! (That should make you wonder how I slipped through! :lol: ) Thanks again and good luck to you!! :D

Artillery back at ya!! :lol:;):D

Carlos - No thanks from you is ever needed brother. I'll never be able to repay the debt of gratitude my family and myself owe you and your family. You need anything, ever, you just say the word Devil Dog!! :)

Dan, good luck to your son, and I hope you the best as well. I to have slowed way down since about 2004 thats when i had a pacemaker and defibrilator put in, but i havent let it stop me, i still compete in tournaments and spend as much time as possible with my kids thanks be to the good Lord. Tight lines, Steve :)

Latest posts

Back