Kistler Zbone Rod

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jimmy Easterling

Reaction score
Thought you might like this. I won the Kistler Rod in the Splash raffle and ordered it last month. It arrived in a PVC pipe and I tore into the wrapping to see the "best rod I have ever owned". When I pulled it out I noticed the guides(I got the new micro guides)were not straight down the rod. Of course I went to complaining about how could a custom hand made rod get out of the shop and the guides not line up correctly. When I calmed down I saw that they nice and neatly wrap around the rod to the bottom side to the tip. It throws smoothly, just need to see how it handles a fish on the other end.

Bud Eahart developed that concept several years ago,..he used it on his "Eahart Fishin' Sticks"...gives you the benefits of "all things baitcasting" with the ultimate sensitivity of "all things spinning"..:p

pretty cool concept.

It is a great concept on a rod, but what Bud (and many others) learned was that it is not for every blank. All blanks will have a spine that defines the true nature and direction of parabolic reflex in a rod. Many rod's wrapped this way without determining the characteristics of the spine in the blank have snapped due to opposite force applied against the spine under load. (The first thing a good builder does is determine the spine location on the blank.) Gently roll the tip of your better rods on the carpet and you'll see how one particular spot is a hair more rigid/less forgiving than the rest. (Graphite/composite rods, glass is exempt.) Good luck and enjoy the new toy! ;)

I built my first rod this way with the micros on a St Croix blank. I was leary at first too, but it really is pretty nice. I like the idea

You nailed it Dan! As usual...lol

I owned a few of the Erhart rods and I think every crankbait rod should be built with guides like this....

Latest posts

Back