1. Welcome to Nitro & Tracker Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

kill switch?

Thread in 'Nitro & Tracker Owners' started by Greg McNeely, Sep 11, 2012.

1. Greg McNeely

Greg McNeely Member

Nitro 180FS with a Tracker (Merc) 115. I'm re-habbing this boat for my step son. I noticed no "safety" type kill switch or a place to clip one. Only a "run" and "off" toggle under the shift/throttle. Last three boats I've owned had a "if you fall out of the boat" clip on kill switch. Am I looking for something that doesn't exsist?

2. TritonGlenn

TritonGlenn Well-Known Member

That is the kill switch. You need one of these to go along with that toggle switch:

[​IMG]

The black plastic end slips over the toggle switch and when it's in the run position, the toggle switch has it captured. The other end, of course, clips to your life vest. In the event the driver leaves that location, it pulls the black plastic part out of the capture of the toggle switch, killing the engine.

All the best,

Glenn

3. G8rmac

G8rmac Well-Known Member

It also allows you to inadvertently bump the switch with your knee killing the engine while still looking like it is in place. This of course only happens when you are in strong current and desperately need your motor to start! :lol:

4. Greg McNeely

Greg McNeely Member

Yep, that's similar to every one I've owned. I spoke with him on the phone and he had no idea what I was talking about. He has run it without the clip since he's owned the boat.

How difficult would it be to by-pass this thing?

I'll have to take a close look in daylight, but I think maybe someone put a plastic shim

in there somehow.

5. dan huff

dan huff Active Member

Not difficult to bypass. Just remove the lanyard and flip the switch to run. Thats all the kill switch is,just a toggle with lanyard attached.

Has anyone sat and cursed because you cant figure out why your motor wont start after it had just run? Lol! I done that once and thought I was goin to spend the night on the water before I noticed the toggle was slightly pulled down :-( Whew what a relief and glad noone was with me to witness my humiliation lol. My dad has also done this,called a buddy to come tow him in then figured it out shortly after his buddy let him know he was on the water and would be there shortly. He didnt have the guts to reveal his fauxpaux to his buddy lol.

6. Donald Prater

Donald Prater Well-Known Member

Have more than once. But if you fish a lot in rough water you really need the kill switch.

7. TritonGlenn

TritonGlenn Well-Known Member

I read about a guy that was idling in gear by the ramp - no life jacket, no kill switch. He fell out and was killed by his own boat. It doesn't have to only be rough water to recognize the need for a kill switch. You can die just as easily at idle speed in glass smooth water as you can at speed in rough water if you aren't paying attention and aren't heeding proper safety. Food for thought.

All the best,

Glenn

8. Greg McNeely

Greg McNeely Member

Yeah, this "project" boat has become quite a project. Daylight now, so I'll get a better look at it. Yep, I've had the kill switch mystery disconnect. In my past and current boats, if the clip isn't on, no start. It appears to be pretty "optional" on this one.

9. Gary Hunter

Gary Hunter Well-Known Member

Just my observations: I have a heck of time putting the black clip on the kill switch and then trying to flip the switch back up to "RUN". Switch refuses to engage. It's like the black clip is too fat or something. Minor thing but annoying as hell. I'm going to replace the black clip with a thinner clip. (2011 Z6)

10. Scott Hammer  TOXIC

Scott Hammer TOXIC Well-Known Member

Gary, Just remember and be aware that the clip has to be large enough to "trip" the toggle when it is pulled out. I've McGuivered a few in a pinch. You might be able to "shave" a little off the one you have.