Just Got Back From the RI SQT on Lake Champlain

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Robert Lariviere

Reaction score
I just got back from a long week up on Lake Champlain paracticing and fishing the Rhode Island Bass Federation State Qualifing Tournamnet to determine our State Team for 2003. After a lousy week of practice and very few fish caught, I fianlly but together a pattern on Thursday at 10 in the morning and not only qualified for the State Team, but came in first place. I'm Mr.BASS of the RI Bass Federation for 2003. Very interesting story of what happened to me yesterday on the last day of tournament. Most people wouldn't have believed what happened if the wouldn't have seen some of the events or my non boater confirming them. If you guys are interested in what happened let me know and I'll post the whole story its long. Thanks to all of you on the board for your support and thanks to Rob LaMoy for some insight. It didn't help but I appreciated it any way.

Rob Lariviere

Are we interested? GEE, DO YA THINK???? Spill it Rob, we want to KNOW!!

Congratulations! I'd love to hear your tails from the trail.

james d.

Rob L,

What ramp did you guys put in? I saw a tourney out of St. Albans Bay. They were pre-fishing Friday and tourney on Saturday. I made the big mistake of going on the lake on Saturday. Besides the tourney guys, every other fishing/pleasure boat was on the water. I was really amazed when I came in to the dock and had no waiting to get my boat out. Every single parking spot was taken - a lot by non-trailering vehicles!!!

Yea, we want to hear the whole story!!

Bob G.

congrat's!!! Wish i had a weekend like that!! My fishin' season has been my worst in years!! No time to practice!!

My only time on the water has been in tournaments and I can't seem to find BIG fish when I need them!! That's getting OLD!!!!..Need to make BIG changes for next year...or give up on tournament fishing altogether and take a year off to concentrate on finding better spots and just doing more "fun fishin'"....'cept for the Rally, and a time ot two this summer,.. I haven't had any time yet to just go and search for new underfished, "unclaimed" rock piles! LOL

I'll figure somethin' out!!

Mac

Good deal, glad to hear it. I was out on Saturday and it was brutal. The fish were OK, but it was HOT! So how much did you weigh? All LM is imagine. Do tell!

Congrat's on the win! Please post your story...I think most of us live vicariously through these "Tales From The Trail".

Especially love to hear success stories from the Federation. I believe this is the true breeding ground for professional tournament anglers. Seemed like Ray Scott's original vision was lost due to ESPN, FLW, ratings and corporate sponsorships. Looks like more emphasis is finally being put back on the Fed, though.

Congrats again!! Post your story when you get the time...

Ok here's the full uncut story.

Day 1

I hadr a hard time convincing my non-boater to fish my spot because he had qualified to make the STATE TEAM last time we had our fish offs here. I told him just give me an hour and if we didn't have fishI'd run right to his spot. We blasted 3rd got down to the area. I started with a buzz bait and he threw a rat. Well in 10 minutes a had a limit and culled my first fish not big but it was a limit. I continued to throw the buzz bait for another 30 hour caught more fish and culled a few. The I switched to a senko and absolutely murdered them. We made one trip down each of the area's I found with my Uncle on Thursday and caught a lot of fish. I had to get at least 6 limits there. My partner had a limit to. I ask if he wanted to stay or go to

his spot. he wanted to stay. We even fish a few areas I hadn't fished and got fish. I left and we went to his spot at 11:30. Going to his spot I saw my uncle and his partner. My uncle was a non boater and they had ben on this guys smallie spot. They were headed to where we had just left and told him they were there. Fished my non-boaters spot for the rest of the day got a lot of fish there, but they were all small. We were in the first flight so we had to weigh in for 2:00pm. We weighed in and when all was said and done I was in second place with 5 large motuh for a weight of 14.15.

Day 2

After a sleepless night we got up a 4:15 to get ready. I had to drop my uncle off at a nearby hotel to meet his partner and pick up mine. Well this is where the disaster starts. we had unhitched the truck to go eat the night before. We I pulled out Saturday morning a heard a dragging noise. Well my I had backed the truck up the night before and my Uncle directed me because it was dark. He hitched it all up and didn't raise the trailer tongue jack. well no its all bent it wont' raise or lower. Fortunately it swung up. Get to ramp wait to launch in the second flight and we were third from last leave. Now I'm worried about some else being down where I was yesterday. It was about a 20 mile run. We get about half way there and we just about stop dead. The motor is still running, prop turning but going now where. Well i was hoping it was just the prop and not the motor so i go over to 2 boats that were fishing our tournamnet and ask them to witness that I was getting out of the boat to change a prop. The weren't happy but they saw the problem and hung around to watch. I get in the water with my non boater( a great guy I might add, he didn't have to help) and we change the prop in about waist deep water. Well i drop the carter pin for the prop shaft. We get it all change and hoping it was the prop we try it. Its ok. But I still don't know if its the prop or the motor. We slowly make out way towards the are to fish and anotherguy that fished around there all week hurries up takes off and goes there. We get there go past him a few hunderd yards, start fishing and i get one right away with a buzz bait about 2 pounds. Then one around 5lbs hits the buzz bait but gets off. The I lose a 3lber. Then nothing for an hour. I decided to moce up to where the other guy ran to on the area. And start fishing it. Well my partner cast out a little deeper and catches a short. Another boat comes by stops to talk and says boy slow compared to yesterday. I said sure is. I told him waht happened on the way down and he tells me that if I get 10lbs I should make the team and as soon as I get it it might be a good idea to head back incase I have any more trouble at least I should be able to get a tow and be in time for the weigh in. He leaves, my partner for the day catches 2 more shorts. i make a cast to deeper water and catch a short. A make another cast and get a short. Next cast just a keeper. Next cast nothing. In the next 9 cast I catch 7 fish all large mouth. All of them very good fish and theywould<

Props, lower units, trolling motors...all become "consumables" when the fish are "on"...Big time congrats... Glad to see another Nitro/Tracker guy do well...

Props, lower units, trolling motors...all become "consumables" when the fish are "on"...Big time congrats... Glad to see another Nitro/Tracker guy do well...

Man that's a cool story!! Ya gota LOVE it when a plan comes together,...even if it wasn't part of your plan!! LOL

Good job man!!

Mac

Didya go wading/looking for your prop?!! Man, If I knew where my $400 prop came off,...I'd be swimmin' bigtime!!

Sweet! Great job man. Told ya, the owners on this site rule this year. Like Mac asked, did you get your prop back? It's not very deep there. How did your uncle do?

Nope couldn't find the prop. the rampr is realy weedy. Even had a few people using push poles to see if theyfind it and another tried his Aqua View with no success. As far as my uncle he came in 21st place. His second day boater was down in the same area. I never saw him to tell him the fish were a little deeper, but he got some any way. Rob how far is Mallets Bay from you. I'll be there next September for the Fish Offs.

Less than an hour. I've got some good water for you when you get here. Give me a call again. Smallies are fat right now. They were coughing up bait at the boat the other day when we brought them in. Largemouth are getting ready too.

Back