Just a Thought

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scott Hammer TOXIC

Reaction score
I know it is rare when I have them but........I had a little free time today so I was doing some internet browsing on BASSFAN and after about 5 minutes I said to myself....this is nothing more than a report of which pro has switched to what sponsor....Clunn to a new rod company, Michael Murphy to a video out fit and about 4 or 5 more switching sponsors. Whatever happened to pro's endorsing products they believed in instead of just going to whoever cuts them the most cheddar....It really gives the sport a black eye. I got the sponsors I have through hard work and I do believe in the products. I have been offered other deals that I walked away from that could have netted me more $$ or bait deals. I just think it sets a bad example and just how stoooopid do they think we as consumers are? Sheesh...Rant over....

TOXIC

Not that I totally disagree. But if a previous sponsor was not willing pay any longer or pay what they felt was market value, cover expenses and live comfortably off the water don't they have the right to switch. Does Jeff Gordon use a lot Duron paint, how much Mt. Dew can Jr drink. If car owner in Nascar had loyalty to sponsors they'd go broke. They are only loyal if the checks keep coming.

PGA Tour players are no different. Most top players switch equipment companies at least once during their careers and it wasn't because the equipment from the other companies was better.

Steve

Steve,

So what good are they? (fishermen or otherwise that change sponsors as quick as most change clothes?)

Is the public supposed to listen to them? One day brand X is the best, the next day brand Y all of a sudden is better? No wonder the general public has a distrust of "sponsored" professionals these days. The sponsors may be putting up with it now, but after those pros burn one too many sponsorship bridges in their career, then they are done. Its not until it's too late that some realize it. Switching sponsors occasionally because you honestly feel that the quality of another is better and your sponsor refuses to make adjustments to compete, or someone who jumps ship because another company is actually going to listen to their inputs and make products to their specs - I see no problem with. But to constantly change sponsorships? I put no faith in those peoples word. People like Tox, who will probably fish Yamamoto forever - those are the types of professionals that I listen to. There is a huge difference.

All the best,

Glenn

Tox

I'm gonna get creamed with this post but IMHO the whole pro fishing gig is a giant laughable joke. They took a great passtime and made it into yet another media spectacle. Old guys with beer guts dressed up like clowns covered with patches with so many sponsors it hurts my eyes. Taking shi## like "baaah dah tamme ahhh reached Maaaa Fish summm wan waaaas fishin emmmm aaareaddah."

The back channel wheeling and dealing to find the hottest fishing spots from the locals rivals the CIA for ruthlessness.

I did the tournament thing for 14 years then quit. The main reason was all the pro wannabes talking like bubba gump even though they were from Nebraska.

Glenn I couldn't agree with you more. It's my choice not to watch it. I do wish those of you that enjoy the pro-fishermen with their flavor of the week commercials. Guys doing back handsprings on a dock,etc. I hope you never get tainted with my cynicism.

Again this is JUST MY OPINION. I'm not pissed at the world or anything but this rubs a sore spot. So let me have it guys/gals.

fatrap

Guys and gals,

I have been studying Tox and Senkos for quite some time. It was not until I saw it with my own eyes that I came to understand it all... Why does he know just how to present a Senko to be so enticing? Why does he know just exactly what color? And, the aqns2wer is.... (drum roll please)

Because HE eats them himself...

Greg,

He doesn't eat them all. He just chews the Bubblegum color. :lol:

fatrap,

You aren't going to get bashed by me, that's for sure. I used to genuinely enjoy watching SOME of the fishing shows. I absolutely hated watching Roland Martin because it was one paid advertisement after the other. But BASS actually HAD a show that I enjoyed watching for quite some time. When people started yelling, dancing, etc... to boost ratings, I turned the channel. It was like watching a freak show. I haven't got ANYTHING from watching any fishing show for several years now. I stopped getting every fishing magazine I ever subscribed to because I wasn't learning squat from them.

Now... as I said before - Not ALL sponsored fishermen are like this. There are many that truly believe in the products they promote. Unfortunately, they seem to be the dying breed that is being replaced by the freak show available now.

I miss fishing tournaments like it "used to be". Yeah, they weren't perfect back then, but they were nowhere near the craziness that they are now.

All the best,

Glenn

Glenn

So a pros contract is expiring with a company. He has been with them one year or ten years it doesn't matter. Another company new or one with a track record comes to him or her and makes an offer that is longer term, more money, a good product and the amount of off season and product developement work is the same. His existing sponsors offer is not as good. So they should stay with the existenting company? I don't understand that from a business standpoint. I do understand being loyal to a sponsor, but if they don't value you as an asset as much as another company or a pro thinks they can and should match an offer from a competitor to keep them, then I don't see how you can look bad on someone for switching companies.

With regard to consumers and fishing gear if some is plunking down good money on mid to high end equipment without doing their own research and testing(if possible). Then they get what they pay for. I've never bought any product based a celebrity endorsement alone. If so I'd be wearing Nikes because Jordan endorsed them, but having tried them on I know Nike is not a good fit for my foot.

Now all that being said I do see some guys with conflicting sponsorships that puzzles me. Two companies that make jigs or two soft plastic companies, ect... That I think is wrong.

Steve

I like the Pro Dart ad on TV..Now thats a sport..HA HA

Tox,...keep in mind,..the difference between you and the pro's who are switching sponsor's is THEY are doing it for a living......you are doing it as a serious hobby and for fun. You can "afford" to be more loyal in the sponsorship game. Unfortunately, for those who are paying their bills solely by fishing....all to often loyalty and integrity alone doesn't pay the bills for the vast majority of them. They HAVE to go where the cheddar is....and even though the "general public" is aware of (or somewhat aware of) tournament bass fishing as a sport,..I can bet you 99% of them can't name more than 2 or 3 tour level pro's let alone their sponsor's. And,..they couldn't care less what kind of sunglasses, rods and reels or smelly jelly any one of them use or get paid to promote. Those of us who are tournament fisherman or who are sponsored by companies are considered "insiders" and we are somewhat tainted in our observations. We are much more aware of the who's, what's, where's, when's and why's than the average fishing "customer".

They purchase far more stuff based on their "budget" limitations than they do because "so and so" says it's the best. As much as we ALL love senko's..the average joe-blow is going to buy the $5.00 (15ct) bag of BPS Stick-o's long before he'll buy the $7.00 10ct bag of Senko's....regardless if Gary Yamamoto himself is there telling him about the differences. Think in terms of what the average customer "thinks" when buying tackle..and not what another "sponsored" angler thinks......the avg. customer couldn't care less.;)

Think in terms of what the average customer "thinks" when buying tackle..and not what another "sponsored" angler thinks......the avg. customer couldn't care less.

Besides the economy that could be a major reason why sponsorship have become tough to come by for some pros. Does the consumer really buy based on what the average tour level pro is promoting? I think not as general rule.

Steve

I also think some of those sponsorships only ADD to the cost of the product. LuckyCraft is a perfect example.......$15-20 for a single jerkbait is ridiculous!! Sure they work..and I have a bunch of them......but I'd own a bunch MORE if they were $10ea and they didn't have to pay Clunn and Reese and who knows who else royalties on each bait!! Which is EXACTLY why a lot of the BIG companies are getting away from the signature series marketing campaign's...they no longer want to pay the royalties and it "may" help keep the costs down. People will buy 2-3 baits at $10.00 each before they'll buy 2 at $15.00ea........the customer HAS to feel like they're getting MORE for their money or they'll keep looking,..even if it's just one more bait.....3 is a better deal than 2!!:huh:

Guy's I fully understand they are doing it for a living and if switching sponsors means another year on tour then great. BUT....you can't tell me someone who is paying LuckyCraft $$ for lures isn't a more educated buyer. If it were all about the money then most would be shopping at Wally World. The reason Senko's sell is because they work period....how many big name tournament guys endorse Yamamoto? Try and name them without looking them up....The only one that comes to mind is Roland and he doesn't count because he sells frickin freeze dried crickets. It's his TV exposure that gets noticed. I'll gaaaarooonttteeee you that most all of them fish Senkos though. Yamamoto doesn't pay entry fees or cash sponsorships and does veery well. It took me 4 years of Documented sales to get on with them!! Clunn had his own line of rods through Bass Pro, now he's with another company. Is it a better product or is it he is just making more $$? Bottom line is what is the company getting from paying these anglers on sponsorship? If John Q Public is gonna go with the lowest cost and the educated fishermen knows that they are full of BS (regarding endorsements) then who do they reach for that sponsorship $$? It baffles me. Is there a segment of the buying public that are just sheep somewhere in-between? Where do you go to get the real scoop? Who do you trust to give you the straight skinny? I put more credence in websites like this one than any "Talking Head" (Jeeze, I never thought I'd say that)....that has a jersey and wrapped boat and has had 10 different plastics sponsors in the last 5 years. Van Dam seems to be the exception to the rule in a lot of this. He has stayed true to his sponsors but let's be real, I'm sure he's well taken care of and the pressure of knowing where his next entry fee is coming from is non-existent. Can Tiger Woods golf just as well in Wall Mart clothing? Sure, but Nike gets a lot of exposure from his endorsement, that's not like fishing where the bait does a lot of the work not just the guy that throws it.

TOXIC

Tox,

There MANY more anglers that are VERY loyal to sponsors than just KVD. Look at Reese. He stayed in his Champion boat even when there wasnt Champion. Aaron Martens with Robo, Denny Brauer with Evinrude from day one, Paul Elias and Manns, Zell Rowland and Pradco....there is a bunch!

But as for the changes and evolutions of sponsorships you cannot look at this without seeing what drives it. It is not always about the angler getting a better deal. The industry as a WHOLE has been in a state of flux with the downtroden economy. If the money isnt in the budget to sponsor a person or persons, then they sponsorship drops. The angler moves on to make his payments every month.

Just as Mac said the whole Clunn deal was NOT Clunn. It was BPS. If you dont think so, look at the Crappie stuff missing Wally, the Musky stuff missing Pete and the Walleye stuff missing Kieth and Gary. ALL of the names were stripped.

The market drives the sponsorships....if the stuff aint selling why would any business keep shelling out good money?

Glenn

Don't watch much Fishing TV. There was a time when I'd wake up to watch Jimmy Huston because that's when the cable company ran it. Not now. I'm back into multi species mode and pretty happy with it. Whatever is biting is my favorite species.

fatrap

Latest posts

Back