Johnny Morris Reel for $5

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Larry Harp

Reaction score
The local BPS is having their Classic this week and one of the daily specials is a JLM reel for $79.88...good price but I went some better. Here's how it worked for me....

$79.88 for reel

-$15.00 for donation of old reel

-$20.44 store credit for jug of oil for the old Tracker that I returned

-$39.44 Customer Reward rebate that I cashed in

$5.00 Out of pocket for a 10 bearing reel...not bad.

+$49.95 for a Bionic Blade rod and I've got a pretty sweet little combo for $55. :lol:

Harpo

I think it is an instore deal only...Spring Classic special here. FWIW, I just got done throwing a jerkbait all day long with 10-20 mph winds and it never birdnested once. I was also throwing it a country mile. GREAT REEL!!

TOXIC

I just got the rick clunn model a few weeks ago and fished with it 3 times and am very happy with the reel. Smooth, light and easy to use. Haven't caught many fish with it (3-4) but looking forward to 'gettin after em' soon. Also got it for a good price-$69 plus shipping/left hand from BPS.Think it's last years model....so what!

Can you believe this.... I took the new JLM reel with me this weekend to use on our first tournament. During Saturday pre-fishing I broke it out first...tied on a brand new Bandit 100 crankbait and caught a fish...ON THE VERY FIRST CAST. I've always fantasized about catching a fish on the first cast but never imagined doing it on the first cast with a brand new rod, reel & bait. :cool:

BTW...I am very impressed with the performance of the JLM reel. I had pretty much written off the BPS reels as okay for the money but not serious reels. I've returned a Pro Qualifier and a Rick Clunn because I didn't like the way they performed but I really liked the JLM. I'm pretty sure I wouldn't give $149 for it, there are much better reels in that price range but for $79 it's a good deal.

Kenny, I was in BPS today and they still have some of the JLM's for $79.88. If you want one maybe you can call BJ at the reel counter with your credit card number and I can UPS it to you. Let me know. :)

Harpo

There are 3 different versions of the JLM reels now. There's the "Johnny Morris", the "Johnny Morris Signature" and the "Johnny Morris Elite".

2 of them are new this year.....the "JM" and the "JM Elite". The JM is the old Pro-Qualifier that has been improved by adding a 10th Ball Bearing and it has a silver/grey paint job, and no external brake control. The JM "Sig" is the same reel as last year with the bright anodized chrome finish, 10BB's and it DOES have the external braking feature ....and the JM "Elite" is brand new with 11 bearings, external brakes and it's a royal Blue color. The Elite reels are out of this world......THEE smoothest and BEST reel that BPS has ever developed...if the same reel had "Shimano" on it,..it would sell for $400.

One of the guys at the reel counter told me that these JLM's are the 2004 models. I think they might be some sort of special run because they do not have the shinny chrome finish like all the JLM's I've ever seen. Also they have the old Pflueger style push in and twist side plate cover instead of the push button logo release like the newer ones. Same frame that's shown in my 2003 BPS catalog but without the chrome finish. Still a nice casting reel with a decent drag...the weak spot in most BPS reels.

Harpo

Latest posts

Back