Jig video continued

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rob LaMoy

Reaction score
I have not yet heard back from Rich, but as I see it there are 2 possible scenarios.

If Rich does like the idea and can do it on here, I think a video uses up a lot of memory or web capacity. Whatever the terminology, I dunno, but a 10-15 minute video would be max and maybe that's too much. I know from joke videos some of you have sent me, it takes like 2-3 minutes to download a 30 second clip. So 10 MINUTES of video would take a half hour or longer. And being limited to 10 minutes, I could only go over the basics and very briefly. So I will also make available VCR tapes and dry to burn some CD-roms with the full 30-45 minutes of edited info. I will do this even if Rich does put a video on, so those of you that want all of the in depth info will have access to it.

Now depending on how many people want these, I may ask that you guys at least send my enough money to cover the cost of the CD's, VCR tapes, and postage. Other than that, I don't want anything. It's a learning experience for me and for my buddy who likes the idea of becoming a filming and production guy for me. I have long wanted to start a show, and this can be my intro into learning how it goes on a very limited and basic level.

I am NOT worried about any copyright, legal issues whatsoever, so if you want to copy them for your bass club, or friends, or my favorite, a local kid....GO FOR IT! But most importantly, put it to use, and then go DO this on the water!

If it goes well, maybe I might even consider a small series of other techniques and particular patterns I feel confident in and have "mastered" in my opinion. When I say "mastered" there is no such thing. These fish will ALWAYS educate, humiliate, and humble you. But I mean, I have a better understanding than most other anglers.

Other ideas are:

Tubes/Grubs

Jerkbaits

Deep water structure

Top Water

I will NOT be doing C-rigs, spinnerbaits, or crankbaits. Though I am proficient with these baits, I am by NO means good enough to be giving advice IMHO.

I will even try to get Mark Kurtzner to do a little cameo on drop shotting! LOL

Buzz can do bloopers and how to wear SOSpenders!

1. For websites, this kind of video would need to be "Streamed"... ala "RealPlayer" or some other format... once you have the digital version, you convert it to the streaming format...

2. You would need a streaming server to do that with, some webhosting sites offer them.

I don't know what Rich's concerns or capabilities would be, but I can probably offer some space to store the files if file size is an issue...

I would personally love to "review" any videos you put together...

Rob -

Considering the amount of "space" it would take and the effort Rich would have to put out, he would have to charge for it...... Then the question arises how do we pay him..... And how much.....

Better to just let those of us who'd like a copy buy them from you.

I'd pay for it!

Rob

I'd love to see some videos on various topics. Specially if you showed some fresh caught toads as an end result. As mentioned before if you send me some footage on a DVD tape I can burn a DVD CD for you. I've experimented with AVI files and mpegs but you just can't beat the DVD CD's. DVD's are cheaper to mail also. One word of advice on videoing knot tying and such close up work. Get a tripod.

oh, I should've said that I would gladly pay the costs for a dvd/video copy of whatever you put together...

Rob, on this server (where NTOWS lives), I have streaming capability but limited resources (disk space and bandwidth; over use of these resources result in monthly charges).

On the server where your North Country site lives, I have lots of disk space and bandwidth, but no streaming capability. Which means the file can be downloaded from that site by people who want to watch it from their PC, but not streamed (watched on the fly) from the server.

There you go....put it on robs site for people to download to their harddrives.

Wolf

I don't really understand what you said Rich other than here you have this but not that, and there you don't have this, but DO have that! LOL I get what you mean. Whatever you think is best. How long would a 15 minute video take to "download" from my site for the average PC user? Say they had dial up?

I will still make CD-roms available and some VHS.

And don't worry fatrap...I'm sure I can manage to boat a "few" toads while filming. Is 2 or 3 adequate? LOL That ought to take me all of 5-6 minutes.

Rob,

Is it gonna take a years worth of fishing to make a 15 minute video? LOL

Wolf

Rich, how smooth would the video play for people? I have tried to view downloaded videos for people and they were very choppy with the sound cutting in and out, then the video freezing up, and half the time when they both were playing, it was out of synch because one or the other was "catching up". If it won't play properly, I don't want to bother trying to link it to the site. I will just make the videos available to those who want them.

Anyone interested, please e-mail me and I will give you info as to what to send me and where to send it. I should have at least a first video available after this or next weekend.

Two or three would be great Rob but nothing under five pounds. I'll trade you a bird hunting DVD.

fatrap

Rob,

i think the dvd thing is a great idea. if these do go out, you might want to put and ad or info for your guide service on there to help promote the biz. i'd like to get a copy also, just let me know how much. hope you are still wearing that OU hat.

jd

I should send you guys a copy of the commercial I had to do for a buisiness project I had to do last year. What a hoot It was to do that. I love catching fish in front of the camera.

T.S.

Great Idea James. Then as the disc/tapes get passed around so does Rob's guide service. I'm in let me know when it's ready.

BF

Fatrap, I'll just make the video and let it speak for itself. I'll even let you guys "judge" it like the new Schooled show by Denny Brauer. Like I have to give YOU lunatics permission to criticize me! LOL

And I don't need a DVD of bird hunting, I've got that part pretty well under control too. Unless you want to show me some with quail. That I can get into. Never even seen a live one let alone got a chance to shoot one. I really want to go to KS some day to whack some. I was told to bring 3 boxes of shells for a weekend and a shoulder pad! Not THAT'S my kind of hunting.

"I have a better understanding than most other anglers."

Are you joking?

Most recreational anglers. Don't turn it into something it's not Steve. And with a jig, YES, more that MOST anglers. Not all, MOST. If all you're doing is coming here to lip off, find another post to do it in.

Stay at the Gambler page! LOL

Bite me, I thought you actually were joking. It read as being sarcastic.

What's the matter SteveO, don't like people responding to you in your own tongue???

Just a little FYI, I'm DONE being so dang PC and walking on eggshells for everyone. If somebody blasts me, I'm gonna blast back from now on. I've done more than my share to try to help out around here and contribute when I can. And pretty much all it has gotten me is lip from a lot of people. So I will call a spade a spade from now on. And if folks don't like it...tough. As long as the majority of people still want my advice or input on things, I'll offer it. Other than that, I won't do much else.

Rob, the speed and quality of the download have a lot to do with the type and quality of the original video, various choices in the conversion to a digital file, how much compression can be achieved, etc.

In other words, without having the video source, I can't answer your questions! :)

Gotcha, I will send you a copy on CD-rom. That should be the best right? Anyhow, I will send it when it's done. Should be about 2 weeks or so.

If you put it on a CD,you can do it like a pyramid club deal.

Send one copy to a member who will burn off two copies and send them to two other members.

And so on,so on,so on............

Your expense,other than making the video,would be the first CD.

Everybody that wants a copy would only have to pay for two blank CD's to burn and send to other members.

Does this make sense to anybody but me? LOL

Any endeavor, that helps teach techniques is good.

However, the expense of doing something like this can start collecting costs, faster than bream can steal your bait. In addtion, let's not forget that you can very easily get the Kevin VanDam DVD 'Pitchin to Heavy Hitters' for $9.95. Really hard to compete.

Not that Rob may well have information that KVD didn't cover.

Tex

I like the idea of Rich posting it on his available server if possible. By posting a link, here on this server, most folks could download it. For those that don't have a broadband connection, perhaps Rob could make a CD-Rom available for a fee!

RoyC

I've offered Rob bandwidth if he needs it (didn't realize it was being discussed here.. saw it on bfhp).

Streaming video is where you get jumpiness and loss of sounce, etc if there isn't enough buffering. However, downloading it would just require that the person download the whole thing, then view it. To view it a second time, they wouldn't have to download it again. With streaming video, they usually do. So, for the low bandwidth (dial-up) folks, simply start the download when you go to bed and voila, you have it the next morning :).

Latest posts

Back